Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Am I too cautious? May have missed out on job opp

Highlighted
Community Leader
Mikila S Member Since: Sep 12, 2015
1 of 12

Long story short:

I submitted my proposal for a job and was messaged by the client thanking me for responding and asking that I add him on skype.

I told the client that I would prefer that we discuss/consult/ via Upwork and when everything is finalized we can use other methods of contact.

Client responds that he has an informal work style and would rather not work at all if I need these 'safeguards'.

I responded  that whilst I would have loved to work on that project with him, this does not seem likely as we don't agree on this issue "safeguards". I  wished the client success with his project and that was that.

Client has verified payment method and reviews. BUT it's just not something that I feel comfortable doing. So I didn't. Maybe I'll lay my guard down...a little...eventually?

I'm new and all but I'm not here to get swindled, scammed, conned or anything of that sort. (Not that I think the client was a fraud).

Have you ever just instantly added a client on skype?

I'm just wondering, have you ever had an experience like that?

Highlighted
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
2 of 12

Yeah, I do it all the time. You don't have to cam up if they want to call. I don't have a camera on my desktop. 

As long as they pay through Upwork, I'm OK with Skype calls. Actually, I get GoToMeeting, Hangouts, all kinds of chats. 

Some people just prefer talking than typing. It's OK if you don't want to, just some people won't be happy with it.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Hanna N Member Since: Jun 17, 2015
3 of 12

I have added clients on Skype without a second thought, since I can always block them later if it becomes necessery.

My honest thoughts? Based on personal experience, it is very likely that in this case, you were a bit too cautious and missed out on a job, as there are clients that want to for example verify the contractor is who they say they are with a Skype call, or it might be their prefered method of communication and they want to make sure you are familiar with it and available on Skype if needed.

However, also based on my personal experience, a client that straighout thinks you are being a pain for being cautious - especially if they reply in an arsy tone to a polite request you've made - has a high chance of being a difficult client anyway, so I would not cry over this cup of spilled milk.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Pandora H Member Since: May 11, 2010
BEST ANSWER
4 of 12

While I can't speak for every niche where an audio Skype interview is common, it is VERY common in mine.

I don't know, off hand, what services the OP offers, so here are some further ideas to help readers decide on this in further possible jobs.

Possible Reasons for an Audio Interview

1. Client is not a good typer

2. Client is physically unable to type

3. Client speaks faster then they type (which is a common  reason for audio interviews)

Things to watch out for - Pervert Clients

1. They INSIST on Skype to Skype Webcam

2. They appear on cam without a shirt/clothes

3. The job description asks for customer service, client-facing webcam meetings (doubtful, but not unheard of)

Niches where Audio Interviews Are Common

Note: sometimes this is related to language/accent, and other times it's just the nature of the job.

1. Customer Service

2. Transcribing

3. Project Managment / Team Mangement

4. Executive Assistant

5. Recruitment

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Community Leader
Mikila S Member Since: Sep 12, 2015
5 of 12

I never thought of some of the reasons you mentioned! That was an eye-opener. Thanks all.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Tamaz J Member Since: Nov 4, 2014
6 of 12

Hi Maliki,

Yes, it's OK. 

I do it all the time. 

Furthermore, even in cover letter I put a separate line suggesting to the potential client that if that's is required he/she can feel free to discuss things over Skype (actually speaking to each other rather than typing). 

Even, sometimes if there are couple engineers involved (freelancer or non-freelancer from client side) we do kind of an online meetings alltogether to discuss the project development/issues/problems/sharing ideas with screensharings, etc. Most of the time this is much more productive than writing emails back and forth.

Maybe, it also depends on the category but in engeeniring this is very productive.

Highlighted
This widget could not be displayed.
7 of 12

I have experienced several times that clients who wanted to get in touch with me per Skype at an early stage suggested during the Skype conversation to handle payment outside of the plattform.

Highlighted
Community Guru
8 of 12

@Margarete M wrote:

I have experienced several times that clients who wanted to get in touch with me per Skype at an early stage suggested during the Skype conversation to handle payment outside of the plattform.

Yep, happens all the time too. All you have to say is "Nah, I like the escrow system." 

Highlighted
9 of 12

I do that but can observe that often such people post a lot of jobs and seldom or never engage anybody (within the platfom).

Highlighted
Community Guru
10 of 12

I get probably 80%-ish clients ask me if I want to save the 10% and go to Paypal. I just tell them I like escrow and we use Elance or Upwork. They say "cool" and we just use escrow. Most of the time they do it so I'll come down by 10% in price.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS