Reply
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Reply

Am I visible? Good profile: no invitations, no responses, no contracts.

Active Member
Alex S Member Since: Jun 18, 2016
1 of 23

Hello,

Not sure if this category is also the correct one to ask a question, but I will leave it here, expecting someone would get back to me with feedback.

 

The main problem is that I think that I have some problems with visibility on Upwork...


During my experience on Upwork, I'd been receiving many invitations to the interview, which allowed me to get well enough projects to stop sending the proposals and fill all the gaps in my schedule and work for 30h/w. I always had between 2 to 8 open contracts, however, anyway I'd been receiving invitations to the interviews on a regular basis. Because of this, I also was able to jump into a short term project, if I saw a time gap in a schedule or wanted to get an additional project.

Beginning in August, I stopped receiving the invitations to the interview and until today got just around eight invites which were not fit my specialization. 

I decided to send some proposals and faced with an issue, that almost nobody gets back to me and in most cases even do not hire anyone at all. That is why I started doubting, whether my profile is visible for most of the clients who are looking for a person from my industry?

 

I really feel that my profile looks amazing (let me know if I am wrong) and my experience and skills are in demand for sure, however, I have no idea why I can't receive any project on Upwork from the beginning of August.

Please advise, is that OK to have always just between 0 to 8 profile views and do not receive invitations to the interview for an experienced Top Rated freelancer with 100% of JSS, more than 3,100 hours worked, with 86% of long-term contracts, and around 80k earned on Upwork?

I was thinking the more good stats profile has the more invites to the interview freelancer gets.
No doubt, it should be the right scheme, but it doesn't look like it works well.

Or I just somehow became invisible for clients? 

So any feedback about my issue is much appreciated.

Active Member
Valentine C Member Since: Dec 6, 2018
2 of 23

Forget!
Upwork dies!
I haven't projects since June

Active Member
Alex S Member Since: Jun 18, 2016
3 of 23

I still look forward to any kind of feedback on this!

Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
4 of 23

Alex S wrote:

I still look forward to any kind of feedback on this!


I see three main issues on your profile which are connected and, without any shadow of a doubt, affecting your invites and hire-rate:

 

1. You have set your earnings to private. This excludes you from any and all searches where a client sets a minimum level of earnings. Clients who want someone with some experience often set that filter to filter out anyone with 0 earnings. This also filters out everyone who hides their rates. It also looks sneaky and like you have something to hide (likely the fact that you work at a fraction of your profile rate, which is a red flag to any client.

earned amount.jpg

That brings us to...

 

2. You have set a very high profile rate, which means clients who are more than happy to pay the rates you REALLY charge, dismiss you because they think they can't afford you. Those who take the time to check and see that you actually work at a fraction of your profile rate, assume that you are some kind of chancer who is trying to take unsuspecting clients for a ride at a higher rate than you would normally charge.

 

3. Your profile rate at $ 130 means that you would only show up for clients who search in the $ 60+ range (when your existing contracts are at a small fraction of your profile rate of $ 130. Those clients who would be more than happy to pay you what you actually do charge, and possibly even more, likely filter in the lower ranges, and of course will not find you. Those who filter in the $ 60+ an hour range, won't hire you because they see that you're working at far less.

hourly rate.jpg

 

My advice would be to set your profile rate to something more realistic (not a multiple of what you work at) and to stop hiding your rates.

Active Member
Alex S Member Since: Jun 18, 2016
5 of 23

Hi Petra,

Thanks for your feedback. I changed (increased) hourly rates just yesterday - I hoped it would update my visibility for clients since when I had my normal $50/$33/$40 nothing happened - I took only one contract since Nov 1 despite I always available for work and sometimes even send proposals.

 

Probably the reason is that my earings are hidden. I will unhide it and see if something changes - thank you for this advice, I did not know it could have an effect.

I will keep you posted on how everything is going in a couple of weeks.
Thanks!


Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
BEST ANSWER
6 of 23

Alex S wrote:

 

Probably the reason is that my earings are hidden. I will unhide it and see if something changes - thank you for this advice, I did not know it could have an effect.


While you're at it, I would also strongly recommend that you tone down the boasting. Claiming to be better / faster / bla bla than ANY other freelancer on Upwork is nonsense, as you don't know all other freelancers in your field. It sounds disingenious.

 

Also delete "Please, don't contact me if you think $20/h freelancers are much more profitable for your business than the $50/h ones. Do the math." - it's rude and offputting and makes you sound unapproachable and arrogant, and as someone who has active contracts at that lower rate, ridiculous.


Clients are human beings, and human beings want to work with nice people they can get on with. It is important to come across as such a person and as an approachable person.

 

It's easier to turn down or negotiate a better rate on invites you do get, than to not get any at all because clients are put off by how you come across.

Community Leader
Robert G Member Since: Aug 7, 2018
7 of 23

Also, why quote yourself in the first paragraph. Obviously you said it if you wrote it.

 

Also, I personally don't like sentences that aren't or buzz words like "lead gen". If you say your are the best professional, then write like one.

Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
8 of 23

Robert G wrote:

Also, why quote yourself in the first paragraph. Obviously you said it if you wrote it.

 

Also, I personally don't like sentences that aren't or buzz words like "lead gen". If you say your are the best professional, then write like one.


I agree with both those points... His profile reads as if he's taken "advice" from a well known "How to make 200k on Upwork / Freelance to win" marketer...


Alex, have you?

Community Leader
Robert G Member Since: Aug 7, 2018
9 of 23

Petra, I agree with you.

 

Also, (and I don't know how to say this politely), it sounds like some of the "arrogrant" younger generation who think they are better than anyone and are intitled to be recognized as such. [that really sounded harsh]. 

 

We always have to remember, there are probably a number of people with similar talents, how do we differentiate ourselves. For me, how you speak/write is the deciding factor.

Active Member
Alex S Member Since: Jun 18, 2016
10 of 23

Petra R wrote:

Robert G wrote:

Also, why quote yourself in the first paragraph. Obviously you said it if you wrote it.

 

Also, I personally don't like sentences that aren't or buzz words like "lead gen". If you say your are the best professional, then write like one.


I agree with both those points... His profile reads as if he's taken "advice" from a well known "How to make 200k on Upwork / Freelance to win" marketer...


Alex, have you?


Petra,

 

I have not.


I even have no idea what kind of "marketer's advice" you're talking about.

 

Firstly, I don't have time to read articles about how to raise money on Upwork.

Secondly, I am well enough experienced in marketing in order to have an understanding of how to make my profile more attractive to potential clients.

 

However, this issue with visibility is absolutely unclear to me. I was thinking, Upwork is interested in professionals who bring money to the marketplace, which means Upwork has to recommend my profile to people who are looking for individuals where my knowledge required, but it looks like it doesn't work this way.

 

That's why I'm wondering, how this recommendation option works.


‎To be honest, when I look for a professional for my project (as a client), I do have in recommendations (best match) the freelancers with ~80% JSS instead of the really best ones within the Upwork marketplace.

It is really strange.
Anyway, thank you for the advice, Petra, I will try to put my overview in order and will get rid of the incorrect phrases.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS