🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Amended Project request
Page options
richardsmith94
Community Member

Amended Project request

Any thoughts would be appreciated...

I completed a job last week. It was a rushed deadline and I felt, given the time constraints, I'd done a really good job for the client. They've come back to me today advising that they have found 'a couple of errors' (from 25 pages of website copy) and that 'everything has to be perfect'. I can understand that, I'm all for perfect.

What they've done is amend the requirements of the project, with a new addition that all of the copy should be run through Grammarly. Again, I wouldn't have a problem with this, except that their text is in Excel. As far as I'm aware, I can't use Grammarly directly with Excel, which will mean having to copy and paste every single individual text box into Word?

I've got no wish to fall out with the client and I'm perfectly happy to review all of the text, but is this a reasonable request or should I be asking for a new milestone to be set up?

If it's of any help or relevance, I submitted a request for payment on the project a week ago (meeting their deadline).

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Richard S wrote:

Lol. No, the client just wants to get things right, as they should. Was just hoping that there was a relatively easy way to do it for them!

Right, but if you have a couple of typos, then it would take them 30 seconds to fix and then everyone is done, but going through this song and dance of "there were errors" and making you go through the entire sheet to find the errors without them just pointing out what is wrong is them flexing because they are losers in their real life. 

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
jojomo
Community Member

Hi Richard,

Can't you do a quick excel to word conversion? Not sure if that's possible but you may find tricks to do that online. If Grammarly takes PDFs you could always convert the excel to a PDF doc. Just a few ideas before you suggest the new milestone.

If there is no definitely no other easy way to do the conversion and you have to do it manually, then yes definitely explain this and suggest they set up a new milestone. All you have to do is explain that you have looked up and have exhausted all options... and that either they will need to send you a Word document or you can do it yourself for X amount.

Good luck!

Joëlle O wrote:

Hi Richard,

Can't you do a quick excel to word conversion? Not sure if that's possible but you may find tricks to do that online. If Grammarly takes PDFs you could always convert the excel to a PDF doc. Just a few ideas before you suggest the new milestone.

If there is no definitely no other easy way to do the conversion and you have to do it manually, then yes definitely explain this and suggest they set up a new milestone. All you have to do is explain that you have looked up and have exhausted all options... and that either they will need to send you a Word document or you can do it yourself for X amount.

Good luck!

Hi Joelle, wish I could! because of the length of the copy in most of the rows, I have to click on them individually so that all the text is visible in that particular row. Even if I could highlight all of the copy in every single row on each page (around 50 per page), that's still 25 pages to get through...Smiley Frustrated

gilbert-phyllis
Community Member

Out of curiosity, I did an experiment: copied a column of text fields from an Excel sheet and pasted into a blank Word document, choosing 'Keep Text Only'. It put each Excel cell on a separate line, with hard carriage returns, but without the tabular formatting. It seems to have retained every character inside each cell, e.g. punctuation. I'm not sufficiently invested to check thoroughly.

I don't know anything about Grammarly but maybe that'll work.

Phyllis G wrote:

Out of curiosity, I did an experiment: copied a column of text fields from an Excel sheet and pasted into a blank Word document, choosing 'Keep Text Only'. It put each Excel cell on a separate line, with hard carriage returns, but without the tabular formatting. It seems to have retained every character inside each cell, e.g. punctuation. I'm not sufficiently invested to check thoroughly.

I don't know anything about Grammarly but maybe that'll work.

Thanks Phyllis. Looks as though I'll have to copy and paste each page into Word, not ideal but it will have to do. 

Appreciate both your's and Joelle's advice.

lysis10
Community Member

It's amazing to me that people expect someone to write 25 pages and there won't be any errors. They could stop being losers and just fix the errors themselves for godsakes.

Is it an ESL? A lot of times they go strictly by grammarly and you might find yourself arguing over dumb stuff. If it's an ESL, the path of least resistance might be just doing whatever gets you the right grammarly score even if it sounds stupid.

Jennifer M wrote:

It's amazing to me that people expect someone to write 25 pages and there won't be any errors. They could stop being losers and just fix the errors themselves for godsakes.

Is it an ESL? A lot of times they go strictly by grammarly and you might find yourself arguing over dumb stuff. If it's an ESL, the path of least resistance might be just doing whatever gets you the right grammarly score even if it sounds stupid.

Lol. No, the client just wants to get things right, as they should. Was just hoping that there was a relatively easy way to do it for them!

Richard S wrote:

Right, but if you have a couple of typos, then it would take them 30 seconds to fix and then everyone is done, but going through this song and dance of "there were errors" and making you go through the entire sheet to find the errors without them just pointing out what is wrong is them flexing because they are losers in their real life. 

Ok, Jenny, just wanted to say being an ESL doesn't make one a loser.

Just sayin'.

abinadab-agbo
Community Member

Hey.

Open up in Google Sheets.

Hope Grammarly plugin works there.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members