🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Amount is still in escrow the client ended th...
Page options
ali_binti
Community Member

Amount is still in escrow the client ended the contract

Hello every one!

I hope you take time and notice my post.

I would like to ask your insights and advice about my problem. 

This is about a client I worked for. He ended the contract without my prior consent, claiming that I did not meet the work quality he was expecting. I have delivered my work early on schedule with the required quality and quantity based on the price stipulated. 

I tried to negotiate and talk it over with him but got nothing in return. He keeps on claiming that the work was unsatisfactory and that no payment on their end will occur.

What should I do in order to get the amount, project worth is $845 . He requested for a refund too but I haven't responded yet. Looking for your valuable feedback.

Thanks

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
g_vasilevski
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hi Binti,

I`m sorry to hear about the bad experience you had. Please keep in mind that you have 7 days to respond to the request from your client, if no actions are taken the funds will be returned to your client. 
If you approve the refund request, the funds will be returned to your client. And if you decline the request a dispute for you and your client will be opened. To learn more about disputes check out this Thread. I hope that you and your client will come to a mutual agreement for both sides. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
g_vasilevski
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hi Binti,

I`m sorry to hear about the bad experience you had. Please keep in mind that you have 7 days to respond to the request from your client, if no actions are taken the funds will be returned to your client. 
If you approve the refund request, the funds will be returned to your client. And if you decline the request a dispute for you and your client will be opened. To learn more about disputes check out this Thread. I hope that you and your client will come to a mutual agreement for both sides. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork

Thanks for your reply. I selected the option of disapproving the refund. It asks me to close the contract and leave the feedback, Should I?

Hi Goran!

I have a question. How can we be assured with the client that they will pay us after sending our artwork files to them?

Hi Christopher,

I would recommend to always make sure that you`re hired on an official contract before starting with your work/tasks. You can also learn more about our Upwork Payment Protection about fixed price and hourly contracts and how to protect yourself.
If you would like to read more about protection and safety, feel free to check out the Safety First section in this Thread. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork
colettelewis
Community Member

Binti A wrote:

Hello every one!

I hope you take time and notice my post.

I would like to ask your insights and advice about my problem. 

This is about a client I worked for. He ended the contract without my prior consent, claiming that I did not meet the work quality he was expecting. I have delivered my work early on schedule with the required quality and quantity based on the price stipulated. 

I tried to negotiate and talk it over with him but got nothing in return. He keeps on claiming that the work was unsatisfactory and that no payment on their end will occur.

What should I do in order to get the amount, project worth is $845 . He requested for a refund too but I haven't responded yet. Looking for your valuable feedback.

Thanks

Binti,

If you did the work, and you feel you met all the client's demands, then the client should pay. If this was a fixed price job, and the client closed the contract, the money will come to you unless he disputes. If he does, CS will come into it, so follow every step they suggest. However, if you can't come to an agreement with the client (such as a partial refund), I would call the client's bluff and take the case to arbitration if necessary. This is expensive though and it will cost you, Upwork, and the client $298 each. 

If you refund, without any payment at all on the job, your JSS will take a substantial hit as well as probably getting poor feedback from the client.   

wlyonsatl
Community Member

Binti A.

If you did the agreed work you should get paid for it.

In mediation, be sure to follow all instructions you get from Upwork precisely and on time.

I hope you come to a mutually acceptable solution with the client, but you will likely get negative JSS feedback from him anyway and it is likely to be worth spending $291 on arbitration to enforce an $845 payment if there is no doubt in your mind that you performed as agreed (keeping mind that even if you "win" the arbitration the arbitrator may not award you the full $845 amount of the contract).

And there is always the chance the client will not be so sure of his case and not want to spend an additional $291 on arbitration he doubts he can win, in which case you will be awarded the full $845 by default and not have to pay $291 for arbitration.

Good luck!

petra_r
Community Member

Binti A wrote:

How much of that is actually in Escrow? (funded) as you can only dispute what is funded, nothing in excess of that.

$845 is funded amount 

Binti A wrote:

$845 is funded amount 

Great! Go for the dispute then!

Thank you .. and by disapproving his refund request, upwork demands me to close the contract from my side too. Should I close it with a negative feedback because he has hired 5 more freelancers for the similar job. He might affect them too.

Binti A wrote:

Thank you .. and by disapproving his refund request, upwork demands me to close the contract from my side too. Should I close it with a negative feedback because he has hired 5 more freelancers for the similar job. He might affect them too.

Leave honest feedback that accurately but professionally reflects your experience

Sure and thank you so much

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths