cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

An employer is requesting my email

Highlighted
Guy M Member Since: May 10, 2018
1 of 5

This employer is requesting my email address, after reaching out to me to request that I apply for a job.

"Please provide me your email for more details, or send your CV to mine - **edited for Community Guidelines**"

Is it a scam?

Also, this is how Upwork offers customer support? They get us to support ourselfes? 

Highlighted
Community Guru
John K Member Since: Feb 17, 2015
BEST ANSWER
2 of 5

Guy, asking for email address of itself is not a violation of site rules. It's only a scam if the client uses your email to scam you. As far as support goes, think of the positives. If you're patient, an Upwork moderator will reach out to you, and you may also receive useful advice from veteran freelancers.

ETA: I've completed over 300 jobs at oDesk/Upwork, and don't recall a single client who insisted on email communication before hiring me, and very few requested it after hiring me for that matter, so caution would be wise.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Guy M Member Since: May 10, 2018
3 of 5

Thanks for the feedback. I suppose in many ways this is better than dedicated customer support, as both of your answers were prompt and insightful. 

I will proceed with caution. 

Highlighted
Avery O Moderator Member Since: Nov 23, 2015
4 of 5

Hi Guy, 

You may want to read these tips for avoiding questionable jobs, and the Safety First! section of the freelancer resources we have compiled for more information on how you can work safely on Upwork.

-Avery
Untitled
Highlighted
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
5 of 5

You don't need "customer Support"

@Guy M wrote:

This employer is requesting my email address, after reaching out to me to request that I apply for a job.

"Please provide me your email for more details, or send your CV to mine - ilona dot appel dot de at gmail dot com"

Is it a scam?

Also, this is how Upwork offers customer support? They get us to support ourselfes?

You don't need "customer support"

There is nothing wrong with a client asking for your email address, just never start doing any work unless the client has a verified payment method and you have a contract on your "My Jobs page" - either hourly or fully funded fixed rate.

Customer Support is for "customers" - you're not yet a customer, once you become a "customer" there will be more support options for you.

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS