Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

An interview Tragedy

researchediting
Community Guru
Douglas Michael M Member Since: May 22, 2015
11 of 33
I sit corrected, Tiffany. Apparently I conflated the OP's actual experience with a commenter's description of a known scam.

Thanks and best,
Michael
lisawerk
Community Guru
Lisa W Member Since: Nov 14, 2015
12 of 33

@Tiffany S wrote:

I'm not aware of a TOS that requires an employer to offer the paid test prior to requesting that the applicant answer some questions and engage in an interview.  Please enlighten me. 

I think the question here is about whether or not the client was asking for an unpaid test in step one followed by a paid test in step two. Unpaid work is supposed to be against TOS and clients should not be asking, especially not clients who are promoted by Upwork.

tlsanders
Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
13 of 33

@Lisa W wrote:

@Tiffany S wrote:

I'm not aware of a TOS that requires an employer to offer the paid test prior to requesting that the applicant answer some questions and engage in an interview.  Please enlighten me. 

I think the question here is about whether or not the client was asking for an unpaid test in step one followed by a paid test in step two. Unpaid work is supposed to be against TOS and clients should not be asking, especially not clients who are promoted by Upwork.

Yes, if in fact that happened, it's a problem. The OP's very long recitation of the process, though, didn't describe any unpaid work. He seemed to be complaining in great detail about having been expected to read job specs and answer questions about his skills before being offered the paid test. 

lisawerk
Community Guru
14 of 33

@Tiffany S wrote:

Yes, if in fact that happened, it's a problem. The OP's very long recitation of the process, though, didn't describe any unpaid work. He seemed to be complaining in great detail about having been expected to read job specs and answer questions about his skills before being offered the paid test. 

This is what I'm seeing in the OP: "The next day I got reply from the client that he is interested. He also explained his 4 steps (yes thats right) selection procedure. Are you kidding me again? Smiley LOL He also expected that I will find the procedure fair though it contains unpaid works." He also follows up later by saying step two offered paid work but step one didn't.  Perhaps I'm misunderstanding what he meant, but the original post does mention unpaid work as part of the process.

elastella
Community Guru
Ela K Member Since: Feb 9, 2015
15 of 33

@Tiffany S wrote:

@Lisa W wrote:

@Tiffany S wrote:

Tiffany,

Have you been invited for a GSD job?

And actually accepted to apply for one?

Ela

tlsanders
Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
16 of 33

@Ela K wrote:

@Tiffany S wrote:

@Lisa W wrote:

@Tiffany S wrote:

Tiffany,

Have you been invited for a GSD job?

And actually accepted to apply for one?

Ela

Nope. I don't even know what that is. I was simply responding to the OP's ponderous description of having to read 1200 words, as if that were an unreasonable burden for a job seeker.

His most recent comment actually does seem to indicate that he was asked for unpaid work, which is an issue...but one that was never described in the very long opening post. 

elastella
Community Guru
Ela K Member Since: Feb 9, 2015
17 of 33

I thought so.

I have. And I can actually sympathize with the OP.

wendy_writes
Community Guru
Wendy C Member Since: Aug 24, 2015
18 of 33

Ela, you have a wonderful ability to keep it short, sweet and hard as he// hitting.  Well done!

lisawerk
Community Guru
19 of 33

@Tiffany S wrote:

His most recent comment actually does seem to indicate that he was asked for unpaid work, which is an issue...but one that was never described in the very long opening post

He says specifically in his opening post that the client expected unpaid work.

mahadi_du
Ace Contributor
Md. Mahadi H Member Since: Nov 14, 2014
20 of 33

Hi...Thanks for your contribution. What are your suggestions? Offering paid test first and then Skype interview or first Skype interview then offer paid test?

Just to clear things a little bit 1st step was to provide feedback and come up with something based on website and keywords, 2nd step was paid test, 3rd step was Skype interview, and 4th step is final selection.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS