Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

An interview Tragedy

tlbp
Community Guru
Tonya P Member Since: Nov 26, 2015
21 of 33

Md. Mahadi H,

I think it is very unusual to encounter an employer with that many steps to become a member of their team. I would probably decline as well. I doubt you will run into the issue often. I do think that to work with the Upwork Enterprise or Pro endeavors, you have to be willing to perform their exercises. So yes, you were screened out and that is probably a good thing as you (and others) are not interested in that level of scrutiny to be hired.

mahadi_du
Ace Contributor
Md. Mahadi H Member Since: Nov 14, 2014
22 of 33

Hi Tonya

Thanks for your feedback. Yes I acknowledge that many clients would like to select final candidate following a number of screening methods. But I believe that we must consider the time we are spending to get the job and possible outcome. The long description and lengthy procedures I think reflect the psycology of the clients and provide some indication how the situation would be in the future when work for them.

I'm happy that I quit in this particular case. I checked the status of the project and found that 10 freelancers have been interviewed and no one hired and it has been 14 days since the job is published and the client didn't check the job posting in the last 7 days.

Best regards-

@Tonya P wrote:

Md. Mahadi H,

I think it is very unusual to encounter an employer with that many steps to become a member of their team. I would probably decline as well. I doubt you will run into the issue often. I do think that to work with the Upwork Enterprise or Pro endeavors, you have to be willing to perform their exercises. So yes, you were screened out and that is probably a good thing as you (and others) are not interested in that level of scrutiny to be hired.

lisawerk
Community Guru
Lisa W Member Since: Nov 14, 2015
23 of 33

@Md. Mahadi H wrote:

Hi Vladimir

The second step was a paid test but not the first step.

If that is actually the case then that's a problem. Are clients allowed to ask for unpaid work or not?

lysis10
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
24 of 33

I just did the longest cover letter/proposal of my life here for a Writer's Pro invite. I think some of the enterprise clients ask for a little more but it's worth it if you can get a piece of that pie.

Usually, I spend like 5 mins on a proposal. I actually *tried* with this one and spent a while on it. lol

ETA: And yeah the Upwork people I guess come up with a list of questions that they use to evaluate you. 10 is a lot. I did 5. But again enterprise clients are worth it.

colettelewis
Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
25 of 33

I have had a few of these invitations (I think) and have refused them all. Mostly, because as the OP says, they are so convoluted they read like scams. I did reply to one. Wherever the client found his freelancer for that job, it wasn't on Upwork. It remained open as an active candidacy for ages, until Upwork archived it. 

I absolutely refuse to fill in endless forms, or to kowtow to extraordinary demands for information for a job that is not necessarily very well paid. I am not interviewing for a top managerial job with Virgin. A translation job at a rate way below my lowest offer is not interesting.

colettelewis
Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
26 of 33

I know what it is, and this is a very personal take. I like freelancing - the reasons are legion - but I have never been and never will be a corporate accessory.  If this is the future of freelancing, I do not wish to be part of it.  I use corporations. They do not use me.

researchediting
Community Guru
Douglas Michael M Member Since: May 22, 2015
27 of 33

Contention seems to be rising from the lack of specificity in describing the "first step."

wendy_writes
Community Guru
Wendy C Member Since: Aug 24, 2015
28 of 33

Nichola, I love you!  Best E-V-E-R comment:

"I like freelancing - the reasons are legion - but I have never been and never will be a corporate accessory.  If this is the future of freelancing, I do not wish to be part of it. 

I use corporations.

They do not use me."

kochubei_valeria
Community Manager
Valeria K Community Manager Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
29 of 33

Hi Md. Mahadi and others

I just wanted to provide an update that we had a member of our team check with the client and educate them about the Upwork ToS, particularly about the policy regarding free work. They will make sure to adhere.

Thank you.

~ Valeria
Upwork
mahadi_du
Ace Contributor
Md. Mahadi H Member Since: Nov 14, 2014
30 of 33

@Valeria K wrote:

Hi Md. Mahadi and others

I just wanted to provide an update that we had a member of our team check with the client and educate them about the Upwork ToS, particularly about the policy regarding free work. They will make sure to adhere.

Thank you.

Thats a really great news for us (freelancers) all. Thank you and Upwork team.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS