🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » An issue with a client.
Page options
edgeof
Community Member

An issue with a client.

Hi i am having a problem with a client, he says he can´t fin the way to create a new milestone for the next step in the contract, and he doesn´t have time to search for the problem, which i advise to search in the forum or talk with upwork management, i will quote him: 

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

Then he said me "**Edited for Community Guidelines**

Then i told him that for me to do that he has to build the next milestone because the first is already paid, that i can´t send him the file for free.

so that leave me to think that he is not intresting in paying the next milestone.

What can i do?

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
g_vasilevski
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hi Ignacio,

Please keep in mind that promised funds and unfunded milestones are not protected under our Fixed Price protection for freelancers. 
You can share this Help Article with your client where he can find detailed steps on how he can set up and fund the next milestone. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
prestonhunter
Community Member

Tell him:

"Jerry:

From what I've heard, the client-side Upwork interface can be difficult to figure out. So let's not worry about setting up a new milestone for now. If you are able to figure things out later, that's fine. But for now, you can just use the 'Pay Bonus' tool to pay the money for the next milestone. OR you can close the current contract and create a new one-milestone contract for the next step. Whichever works better for you is fine for me. After you do that, I will be able to do the next milestone."

very very hepfull thanks, i will keep this advise for the future 🙂

hoyle_editing
Community Member

It sounds rather dodgy to me.

If the first milestone has been paid and completed and this is the final milestone then you shouldnt really have done the work until the milestone was funded.

Why would the client think you would send designs for free? Do you have an agreement with him? 

If you have already done the work and the client doesnt want to fund the milestone there is nothing you can do - but i wouldnt hand over any work until the funds for that work are securley in escrow.

Whatever you do: Remember that the client's problem is not necessarily YOUR problem.

Don't let a client trick you into doing work for free or sending work he hasn't paid for by funding escrow or paying you a bonus ahead of time.

Imagine if I went to a bakery and asked for a cake:

client: "That cake looks delicious. Can I have that?"

baker: "That will cost $20."

client: "Oh, I don't have any money with me. I tried to get cash out of the ATM. But those machines are so complicated!"

baker: "I can't give you the cake if you don't pay for it."

client: "Can't you just give me the cake now! I really need it! I promise I'll call my bank and ask them for help and bring you money later."

g_vasilevski
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hi Ignacio,

Please keep in mind that promised funds and unfunded milestones are not protected under our Fixed Price protection for freelancers. 
You can share this Help Article with your client where he can find detailed steps on how he can set up and fund the next milestone. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork

I'm a freelancer, and I'm able to add milestones myself. Isn't this functionality available to everyone?

Screen Shot 2019-10-11 at 4.11.47 pm.png

Yes - i have that functionallity - though i dont thin i have ever used it as all my fixed price contracts have been setup in advance so the milestones just needed activating/funding.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths