Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

An issue with - surprise! - the new message system

Highlighted
Community Guru
Fergus M Member Since: May 23, 2015
1 of 17

Here's a little problem I've been "discussing" with the help desk. When I go into the new message system I can't get out of it again using my browser's Back button. CS, of course, say I should empty my cache or try a different browser. My browser isn't the problem though, because the Back button works fine with every other website I ever use.

I'm sure I've seen this issue mentioned on the forum before but I can't remember where. Has anyone else experienced it?

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.― George Orwell
Highlighted
Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
2 of 17

The only way I can do it is by going to 'my jobs' (even if there aren't any) and then going to the job feed page from there. But we shouldn't have to be finding workarounds . . . Smiley Frustrated

Highlighted
Community Guru
Jean S Member Since: Oct 22, 2007
3 of 17

I use the desktop application and have no problems with it. Very easy to use, see who I'm working with, switch between messages with different clients and hide the ones I'm finished with. I don't understand why people use the web based one that's full of problems. The desktop one is great.

Highlighted
Community Guru
4 of 17

@Jean S wrote:

I use the desktop application and have no problems with it.

Is there a dedicated message app, or are you talking about the team app? Because there's no way I'm installing the team app.

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.― George Orwell
Highlighted
Community Guru
Jean S Member Since: Oct 22, 2007
5 of 17

I don't think it's the team app but it does have that capability. I just don't use it much but for messages it's perfect and I've had no issues with it.

As well, just to give kudos when they are deserved the search function seems to be working better.

Yesterday in a 24 hour period I had 4 invites that were all appropriate and got two of the jobs.

Highlighted
Community Guru
6 of 17

@Jean S wrote:

As well, just to give kudos when they are deserved the search function seems to be working better.

Yesterday in a 24 hour period I had 4 invites that were all appropriate and got two of the jobs.

I had a really good invitation a couple of days ago, but the client had actually been recommended to find and hire me by a colleague, so the algorithm didn't have anything to do with it. I've pretty much stopped searching for jobs now and I suspect in future I'll mostly stick to invites. As a percentage of my monthly income Upwork is now down in single digits.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Douglas Michael M Member Since: May 22, 2015
7 of 17

@Jean S wrote:

I use the desktop application and have no problems with it. Very easy to use, see who I'm working with, switch between messages with different clients and hide the ones I'm finished with. I don't understand why people use the web based one that's full of problems. The desktop one is great.

Jean,

That could be useful information, thanks!

As for why people use the web-based message system, I can only speak for myself:

• If a company offers a web-based service, I expect it to work. Typically it does, or the company loses out to its competitors.
  • The last thing I need on my computer is some proprietary, special-purpose software for functions that could be perfectly well handled—and are by other companies to the tune of milllions or billions of interactions a day the world over—via the web.

Best,

Michael

Highlighted
Community Guru
8 of 17

@Nichola L wrote:

The only way I can do it is by going to 'my jobs' (even if there aren't any) and then going to the job feed page from there. But we shouldn't have to be finding workarounds . . . Smiley Frustrated

That's exactly the way I was doing it. Now I open the message tab in a new window so I can just close it when I'm done.

So what happens when you use the Back button in the message page? Mine just refreshes and stays on that page.

Highlighted
Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
9 of 17

Hi Fergus,

Thanks for reporting. I have followed up with the team and they are going to investigate this issue further.

~ Valeria
Untitled
Highlighted
Community Guru
10 of 17

Hi Valeria,

Thanks for that. When I spoke to support they basically blew me off with the usual "Have you tried clearing your cache or switching to a different browser?" stuff, but as I'm clearly not the only one who's had this issue there is a problem with the page and it's a rather annoying one. On Elance or Guru I can check my messages then just use the Back button to return to my search, but on Upwork I end up needing to input all my search criteria again, and until the search tools are fixed that's a slow and frustrating process.

Fergus

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS