Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

An issue with - surprise! - the new message system

Highlighted
Community Guru
Hanna N Member Since: Jun 17, 2015
11 of 17

I had the same problem a month or two ago and wrote about it here, so it might have been my post you are thinking. I ended up changing the browser for a while.... and after some time it just started working on the other one as well. 

Highlighted
Community Guru
Fergus M Member Since: May 23, 2015
12 of 17

I tried it in all three of the browsers I have installed. Same result every time. As I said before I haven't had this issue on any other website, so even if it's intermittent it's at Upwork's end.

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.― George Orwell
Highlighted
Community Guru
Hanna N Member Since: Jun 17, 2015
13 of 17

I had the same issue, meaning that it was a problem only with UpWork. No other website was having hiccups.

But then again, isn't that how it always is... Smiley Tongue

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Michael M Member Since: Sep 16, 2015
14 of 17

I've had some issues with it as well, this and what I'm told is a very poor algorithm can make things difficult a lot of the time.

Highlighted
Community Leader
Teri S Member Since: Oct 17, 2011
15 of 17

I use Opera browser, and my Back button has a dropdown list showing all the previously visited pages in a tab. It's useful in case I want to go back 3 or 4 pages, rather than just back to the previous page.

The point is, when I go to the Message page, and then click on the drop down list to go back, there are TWO pages between where I am and the page I came from. So when you click on the Messages link you go first to a page called "Messages - Upwork", which redirects you to https://www.upwork.com/messages/rooms/ , which redirects you to the Message Center page (room) you see.

So clicking on the Back button takes you to the page that redirects you to the Message Center.

Probably doesn't help you very much, but that's why you can't back out of the Message Center anyway. I don't think they're going to be changing it anytime soon.

Teri

Highlighted
Community Guru
Fergus M Member Since: May 23, 2015
16 of 17

Thanks for that; it was very useful. Two of the browsers I use - IE11 and Firefox - have the same feature. Sure enough, from the Messages page there are two more pages between where I am and where I was one click ago, and one of them is a redirect that I can't click back through.

So the Message page is indeed broken, and it has nothing to do with my cache or browser. Much to my unsurprise.

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.― George Orwell
Highlighted
Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
17 of 17

This functionality has been fixed and you should now be able to navigate from the Messages by using the browser's back button. Please, let us know if you have any questions or further issues.

~ Valeria
Untitled
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS