cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: An issue with the idle job posts

a_klark
Arthur Z Member Since: Sep 17, 2015
1 of 20

A few weeks ago, I spent all my 70 connects to submit proposals. However, none of my application worked out, so I bought more connects (around $50) and submnitted proposals again. Still no word on my requests.

I started to worry as I knew it was easy to get a job being Top Rated with 99% ratio and 2k hours paid. 

Anyways, I started to analyze my cover letters and noticed that 99% of jobs on which I submitted proposals are still open.  Some of these were open more than two months ago. 

Thus, I though, why we freelancers should spend our connects (read money) on unresposible clients with dead jobs posts and wait for nothing? Why if we have idle contracts it has a negative impact on our JSS whereas clients who post jobs and take no action still have 5 stars? I feel that there should be some sort of connect-return system based on inactive (open too long) job posts. Otherwise it feels like boosting connect sales in my view.

I hope to hear other's opinions on tis issue.

Thanks everyone.

Screenshot_1.png

petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
2 of 20

Arthur Z wrote:  Why if we have idle contracts it has a negative impact on our JSS........

It doesn't. For the umpteenth time... Unless you have a significant percentage of such contracts, or they never had any money paid under them, they have no effect on your JSS at all.

a_klark
3 of 20

I know that open proposals have no effect to my JSS. I meant that idle contacts (not idle job posts). If a client, under a contract with you, does not take any action for a long time your JSS lowers down. Whereas, if a client posts a job post and leave it for a long time there won't be any sanctions .

Anyway, my point is not to punish clients, my point is to have connect-return system which will restore your connects submitted for idle job posts.

petra_r
Community Guru
4 of 20

@Arthur Z wrote:

I know that open proposals have no effect to my JSS. I meant that idle contacts (not idle job posts). If a client, under a contract with you, does not take any action for a long time your JSS lowers down.

Not if money was paid under the contract and you don't have a significant percentage of such contracts. You "know" wrong.

a_klark
5 of 20

I f a client pauses or stops assigning tasks to you for a long time your JSS will be lowered. That was said several times to me through Upwork Support center as I had two of those, and they, affected my JSS. 

wlyonsatl
Community Guru
Will L Member Since: Jul 9, 2015
6 of 20

Hi, Arthur.

I recently had a client finally close a dormant project after about a year of stop and go activity totalling only 60 hours of my time. I have had plenty of projects that were idle for various reasons for long periods. None of this seems to have had much effect on my JSS, which is currently at 99.

In your original post about Upwork returning credits to freelancers when no freelancer is chosen for a project, that makes sense to me but it would be difficult to implement. For example, some freelancers apparently bombard the system with proposals for jobs, hoping something will come of their many proposals without the having to customize their proposals to each potential job. I don't think they should have their wasted connects restored.

My advice, which you didn't ask for, is for you to refine your own proposal approach. I guess-timate I land about one job for every 20 or so proposals. Every freelancer's experience in this respect is no doubt unique, but your own success rate is well below that. It takes a lot of work to find quality jobs on Upwork, and having 10,000 new agencies and freelancers joining Upwork every week won't make it any easier.

Good luck.

petra_r
Community Guru
7 of 20

@Will L wrote:

... having 10,000 new agencies and freelancers joining Upwork every week won't make it any easier.

How do you get to that number?

According to the CEO 10.000 a day try, of which 98% are rejected.

That would be 70.000 a week try,  1400 are accepted.

wlyonsatl
Community Guru
8 of 20

You're right, Petra.

Upwork's SEC filings say, "Every day, an average of approximately 10,000 independent professionals and agencies apply to join our platform.

It's a good thing you are here to monitor posts so closely and set the record straight. Of course, my point was that competition for new jobs on Upwork is fierce, and the number being daily, not weekly, amkes the point more obvious.

If Upwork has 375,000 active freelancers now and 1,400 are joining each day, the number of active freelancers could double by next summer.

Where did you get your "98% are rejected" figure. I haven't see any reference to that number in any Upwork communications..

wlyonsatl
Community Guru
9 of 20

...each week, not each day. 200 a day, 1,400 a week. 

I would have expected much stronger freelancer growth, but Upwork has clearly said it has too many registered freelancers compared to its active clients count. And if 98% of freelancer applicants are being rejected, the imbalance between number of freelancers and number of new projects should start to tilt in the remaining freelancers' favor.

The company has sai its business development focus is entirely on bringing in more clients. That is good for the freelancers who are providing good services to their Upwork clients.

petra_r
Community Guru
10 of 20

@Will L wrote:

The company has sai its business development focus is entirely on bringing in more clients. That is good for the freelancers who are providing good services to their Upwork clients.

Indeed it is.

@Will L wrote:
Where did you get your "98% are rejected" figure. I haven't see any reference to that number in any Upwork communications..

It was said by Mr. Kasriel in the same TV interview as the "we launched a US only website" remark.

3:20 - 3:50ish here

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS