🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » An on-hold project with no work is now "Suspe...
Page options
dkdunbar
Community Member

An on-hold project with no work is now "Suspended." Can I close it without a JSS hit?

I had a client hire me for a project. Set a date to discuss details and client canceled and rescheduled. Client put the project "on-hold" then did not honor the rescheduled phone meeting time.  Multiple attempts were made to reach the client to no avail. Several weeks have passed without any contact.

Today I looked at the project and the client has been suspended.  At this stage I have no intention of working with this client as they have proven unreliable and high risk.  Is there a way to close the contract without it adversely affecting my JSS since they are suspended?

Thanks!

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
petra_r
Community Member

Contracts with clients who have been suspended for violating the terms are excluded from your JSS calculation.

View solution in original post

17 REPLIES 17
filip_knezevic
Community Member

Better check with Upwork support, but in my experience it shouldn't count.

Once I was hired by an English student who wanted some simple networking project. After I delivered the project he started bashing at me with clear intentions to get the project for free. He was rude, so I was not very pleasent too, I told him his arguments make no sense and I closed the contract. I was prepared to use my wildcard for bad reviews :). 

However, tomorrow I checked and noticed he hired another guy for the same job. Soon he was suspended. I contacted support and explained the situation, wanting to know if it will affect my JSS and they said it wouldn't (and it didn't).

But take this with a grain of salt.

petra_r
Community Member

Contracts with clients who have been suspended for violating the terms are excluded from your JSS calculation.

dkdunbar
Community Member

Thank you. Even if I close the contract?
petra_r
Community Member

Dana K D wrote:
Thank you. Even if I close the contract?

Yup

dkdunbar
Community Member

Thanks for the input. It's greatly appreciated!

Dana, it may be of assistance to you and to others in the future if you'd Google the term "kudos."

And.... Pat this is why I rarely use the Community Forum.  I didn't deserve that snarky response.  I said a quick "thank you" via an email response to acknowledge someone's answer.  I thought the main point of this forum was to assist one another, not focus on racking up kudos. When I had a few moments to log in and give a "kudo" I would have done so.  I'm sorry there is something in your world today that made you feel like you needed to put someone down. Maybe it would be of assistance to YOU to Google the term "professionalism."  Rest assured, I won't be back.

Dana K D wrote:

And.... Pat this is why I rarely use the Community Forum.  I didn't deserve that snarky response.  I said a quick "thank you" via an email response to acknowledge someone's answer.  I thought the main point of this forum was to assist one another, not focus on racking up kudos. When I had a few moments to log in and give a "kudo" I would have done so.  I'm sorry there is something in your world today that made you feel like you needed to put someone down. Maybe it would be of assistance to YOU to Google the term "professionalism."  Rest assured, I won't be back.

Dana, you're absolutely right and I'm sure that Petra doesn't need any more "kudos" anyway (she already has a mug!).

Am I missing something somewhere between the main responses and the OPs reply to Pat's post?

Puzzled....

Christine A wrote:

Dana, you're absolutely right and I'm sure that Petra doesn't need any more "kudos" anyway (she already has a mug!).

LOL, bless you. I do 😉 And I love it.

And the only effect of that wretched kudos stuff is that you end up with a heap of unsolicited PMs from people you never had any forum interaction with thinking you can solve all their problem to the point where the PMs from your pals get lost 😄

Petra R wrote:

Am I missing something somewhere between the main responses and the OPs reply to Pat's post?

Puzzled....

Christine A wrote:

And the only effect of that wretched kudos stuff is that you end up with a heap of unsolicited PMs from people you never had any forum interaction with thinking you can solve all their problem to the point where the PMs from your pals get lost 😄

Pat basically said that by not giving you kudos, the OP was showing insufficient gratitude for your assistance.

Also, Petra, you should have kudo'd my response. Maybe YOU don't care, but some of us don't have mugs! Or notepads. 😞 

Christine A wrote:

Pat basically said that by not giving you kudos, the OP was showing insufficient gratitude for your assistance.

Oh good grief.

Like I need more of the things?

It's not like I can buy anything with them?

dkdunbar
Community Member

No, Petra you didn't miss anything. That's why I responded as I did.  Pat's post totally came out of left field. I came to the forum to ask a reasonable question and I got reprimanded like an ungrateful kindergartener by someone who knows nothing about me.  The lack of professional courtesy astounds me.

So, as I said, I will not make the mistake of opening myself up to that type of behavior again.

I truly wish there were rules of conduct that were enforced here.  It would make the forum a more valuable (and pleasant) resource.

Dana K D wrote:

No, Petra you didn't miss anything. That's why I responded as I did.  Pat's post totally came out of left field. I came to the forum to ask a reasonable question and I got reprimanded like an ungrateful kindergartener by someone who knows nothing about me.  The lack of professional courtesy astounds me.

So, as I said, I will not make the mistake of opening myself up to that type of behavior again.

I truly wish there were rules of conduct that were enforced here.  It would make the forum a more valuable (and pleasant) resource.

You can "flag as inappropriate" if posts are just snarky for the sake of being snarky - there are moderators here and they're pretty quick to jump on comments that cross the line.

Petra R wrote:

Puzzled....

Christine A wrote:

Petra, as I remember, a while back Rene opted out of being included within the "Top Kudoed Members."  If he accomplished it, you should also be able to. No doubt that would decrease the # of unsolicited PM's you receive.   

Dana K D wrote:

Dana, you're right; you did not deserve my snarky response. I apologize. You originally thanked Petra for her input; that's what's most important.

The main point of this forum should be to assist one another; not rack up kudos. However, issuing kudos is the standard way to express appreciation in many forums; including UW.

FYI I've been a professional for numerous years; including as a FL here for several (originally oDesk) and a fairly active Community member for nearly 3. I read much within the Community prior to becoming active. I'm seldom snarky here or anywhere for that matter. In fact, one of my first posts was about many Community members' rudeness...

Hopefully you'll continue to participate. There's many superb people here---knowledge base and/or personalities. However, you'll notice there are a few professionals that oftentimes provide assistance in an extremely snarky manner.  If one can overlook that, there's much to be learned.    

I appreciate your acknowledgement, Pat.

I do understand the kudos system on UW and elsewhere. However, you have to be logged in on the Community Forum to give a kudos whereas you do not have to be to post a question or respond within that thread.  Petra's answer popped up in my email. My goal was to make sure I acknowledged responses in a timely fashion, so I simply replied via email (thus, no log in).  I truly do not owe any explanation as, by your own admission, I did what was important - thanked Petra in a timely professional fashion. I'm only clarifying for anyone who might read this particular thread in the future.

Dana K D wrote:

I appreciate your acknowledgement, Pat.

I do understand the kudos system on UW and elsewhere. However, you have to be logged in on the Community Forum to give a kudos whereas you do not have to be to post a question or respond within that thread.  Petra's answer popped up in my email. My goal was to make sure I acknowledged responses in a timely fashion, so I simply replied via email (thus, no log in).  I truly do not owe any explanation as, by your own admission, I did what was important - thanked Petra in a timely professional fashion. I'm only clarifying for anyone who might read this particular thread in the future.

FWIW, Dana, very few here do apologize; even when they should. Oftentimes it's just a matter of considering the source, gleaning what one can, and moving on.

FYI last year UW made it possible to respond, issue kudos, and/or accept solutions with links in emails received to threads subscribed to. Since there were Kudos and Accept Solutions challenges (an entirely different story), replying from emails is evidently the only current option.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members