🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: An unknown error has occurred - Desktop L...
Page options
conversionizers
Community Member

An unknown error has occurred - Desktop Login fail

Hello, I am unable to login to the desktop app. I tried various options (with Google login credentials, then switched off Google Account under connected services, Upwork username and password, email and password). Nothing works and I always get the same status: An unknown error has occurred. Please help me to fix this. I also installed the latest version today, etc.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
s-mary
Community Member

I have the same problem, how can i fix it?

View solution in original post

53 REPLIES 53
BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Maximilian,

Could you please refer to this help article for troubleshooting tips and let us know if you still experience issues after applying them? 

Thank you!

~ Bojan
Upwork

Hello Bojan, thanks for the fast reply. I tried the solution given in the help article but the problem still occurs.

I'm sorry to hear that, Maximilian. Could you please share your OS version so that we can assist you accordingly? Thank you!

~ Bojan
Upwork

Windows 8.1

Thank you for following up, Maximilian. One of our team members will reach out to you directly via a support ticket to further assist you with this issue. 

~ Bojan
Upwork

Thank you very much, Bojan. 

Hi,

Same issue, cannot ;login.

Support ticket still did not help me.

Latest win update, latest version of Upwork app (tried beta as well). win 10 x64.

TIA.

Br,

g_vasilevski
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hi Oleh,

I`m sorry about the inconvenience this had caused you. Our team will assist you further as soon as possible directly on your ticket. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork

Hi,

I need a help too.

Cannot enter to desktop version((

my windows version 10

Hi Mary,

I’ve shared your concern with the team. One of our team members will reach out and assist you directly via a support ticket. Thank you!

~ Joanne
Upwork

Hello, I have the same problem.

Could you please provide assistance?

Thank you very much.

Hi Stefano,

.Our team will reach out to you via ticket as well and will assist you further, thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork

Hi there,

Will post here what helped, looks like some cashe problems, that was solution provided by Upwork support, which actually worked. 

Go to tray (available even if you are not logged in) , right click Upwork app - Settings - Advanced - Clear Cache and restart.

Hope this helps, but I think this is something that should be recommended as a last step since all your settings will be default now and I am not liable for any results, since it would have not affected anything on my end when I was doing it.

Br,

Oleh

dasha1994
Community Member

Hi Bojan, 

I am having the same problem. I tried the article for troubleshooting tips and it did not help. 

So far I tried to reintall the app and disconnect it from gmail, but non of these solved the problem. 

Please can you help me? 

Thanks,

Darija

BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Darija,

Could you please share with us the OS version you're experiencing this with so that we can assist you accordingly?

Thank you!

~ Bojan
Upwork
dasha1994
Community Member

Hi Bojan, 

Thank you for your respond. Yes ofcourse. It is macOS Sierra 10.12.6. 

Let me know, please! 

Thank you,

Darija

Hi Darija,

Thanks for following up. One of our team members will reach out to you directly via a support ticket to assist you further.

Thank you.

~ Aleksandar
Upwork

Hi Darija,

I am encountering the same problem and I read we have the same OS. I already tried uninstalling and reinstalling the app and did clear cache too. Still the same. May I know how you resolved the issue? thank you.

Hi April Joy,

I'm sorry to hear that you are experiencing trouble logging in to your desktop app. Could you please share the OS version that you are using? 

~ Joanne
Upwork
s-mary
Community Member

I have the same problem, how can i fix it?

I am having this same problem. I went through all the steps suggested, but no dice. Can someone please contact me? Thank you.

Hi Kristi,

Could you please share more information about the issue you're experiencing so that we can assist you accordingly?

Thank you!

~ Bojan
Upwork

Hello! Whenever I try to log in to my desktop app, it fails. I have tried
uninstalling the program, reinstalling it, and restarting my computer. I
also tried clearing the cache, as mentioned in the help discussion. None of
that worked. Can you help me log in please? Below is a screenshot of the
error I'm getting. I have already double checked and my login credentials
are entered correctly.

Kristi
[image: image.png]

Hi Kristi,

I`m not able to view the screenshot you`ve shared. Could you try again and also share the operating system you`re using? Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork

When I try to log in to the desktop app, I get the error message "an unknown error has occurred." I am running Windows 10 64-bit operating system. Thank you for your help!

Hi Kristi,

Could you please try exiting the Desktop App, then delete the folder %USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local\Upwork  and then re-launch the App again. It will ask you to log in again.

Also, you can go to Settings>Connected Services on your account and disable Google Sign-In.

Please, let us know if the issue persists after that.

Thank you!

~ Bojan
Upwork

That worked! Thank you so much for your help.

hydra2016
Community Member

Same thing here, I am waiting for confirmation from the request help, although i am a verified user since October 2019 and an Upwork member since 2015!! they logged me out to check my identity!! 

I am very disappointed today - this month i had bought so many connects, and now today i am logged out completely- 

i hope the situation resolves quickly! it seems a lot of us had technical problems this week 

Hi Caroline,

I see one of our agents has been assisting you and you were able to log in. If you have any further questions, feel free to update the support ticket you have with the team.

Thank you!

~ Valeria
Upwork

I'm having the same problem here. I tried those tips and it worked on one of my computers but didn't work on the other. The one that worked with an OS of Mac 10.14.3, while the one that didn't work with an OS of Mac10.15.4. 

Could you please help me with this? Thanks!

g_vasilevski
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hi Jiang,

Our team will reach out to you via ticket as well and will assist you further with the desktop app. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork
m_zaric
Community Member

When I try to log in to the desktop app (upwork _5.4.1.1 - debian 64bit version) I get "An unknown error has occurred". My OS is Linux Mint 18.3

g_vasilevski
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hi Milan,

Our team will reach out to you via ticket as well and will assist you further. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork
sarahpetty
Community Member

Hi, I'm having the exact same problem.

Reinstalled the app because it's been a few months since I used it. I have Mac OS Mojave 10.14.5. Did all the troubleshooting tips, restarted my computure, reinstalled the app, and still not luck. Help! 

BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Sarah,

We'll have one of our agents reach out to you via a support ticket to assist you with this concern. 

Thank you for reaching out to us. 

~ Bojan
Upwork
naumandev
Community Member

Having the same issue, running macOS 10.14 and unable to login. Please help I have a contract running

Hi Muhammad,

Please try reinstalling our desktop app or even installing our beta version. If you`re still experiencing the same problem after this, let me know here. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork

Tried installing beta, deleted the old app before but still facing the same error, unable to login

Thank you for the follow up, Muhammad,

Please try to clear the desktop app cache as well by clicking on the Settings Cog > Settings > Advance > Clear Cache and Restart. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths