cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anonymous Wikipedia Article Editors - Caution!

Tejas N Member Since: Dec 21, 2016
1 of 15

Hello folks!

So, this happened few weeks ago in April 2017. I know that Wikipedia article writing/editing is a hot skill here on Upwork, and there are lots of freelancers who provide these services. However, I would like to request all of them to tread with extra caution now. Certain (English) Wikipedia administrators are patrolling Upwork's job postings to find such "gigs" (in their own words) and crack down editors who edit/create articles without disclosing the paid editing attribute (conflict of interest aka COI). You not only will be banned from the platform but also put your clients (past and current) and their articles in jeopardy.

So, let's say you take up a job related to Wikipedia and you do not disclose the paid contribution on the Talk page of a particular article. If fellow editors smell some kind of COI then they start checking online job portals (like ours) and crack down on the freelacer who took up the job. No discussion or plea - just direct ban! And a sweet little tag about COI and possible other issues on the articles.

An example of their monitoring is here - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UserSmiley Frustratedmartse/upwork

Would love to hear what the community has to say about this.

Best,

Tejas

6 of 15

Hi Juvy Ann,

SEO aside, I think it is something to be pondered upon.

Let's not deny the fact that there are a lot of freelancers here who might get affected from this.

PS: My post is not even about SEO.

Thanks

3 of 15

Tejas N wrote:

Hello folks!

So, this happened few weeks ago in April 2017. I know that Wikipedia article writing/editing is a hot skill here on Upwork, and there are lots of freelancers who provide these services. However, I would like to request all of them to tread with extra caution now. Certain (English) Wikipedia administrators are patrolling Upwork's job postings to find such "gigs" (in their own words) and crack down editors who edit/create articles without disclosing the paid editing attribute (conflict of interest aka COI). You not only will be banned from the platform but also put your clients (past and current) and their articles in jeopardy.

So, let's say you take up a job related to Wikipedia and you do not disclose the paid contribution on the Talk page of a particular article. If fellow editors smell some kind of COI then they start checking online job portals (like ours) and crack down on the freelacer who took up the job. No discussion or plea - just direct ban! And a sweet little tag about COI and possible other issues on the articles.

An example of their monitoring is here - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UserSmiley Frustratedmartse/upwork

Would love to hear what the community has to say about this.

Best,

Tejas

Bravo Wikipedia!

Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
BEST ANSWER
4 of 15

Margarete M wrote:

Bravo Wikipedia!

Exactly.

It is further worth noting that jobs (posting them and doing them) which violate another site's terms of service are forbidden on Upwork and can land both client and freelancer in hot water.

5 of 15

I agree, Petra.

Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
6 of 15

Tejas, I'm glad you posted about this, because I suspect that there are many Upwork writers who are not even aware that this type of arrangement violates Wikipedia's TOS and U.S. law. 

Community Guru
Tonya P Member Since: Nov 26, 2015
7 of 15

One black hat SEO method is to acquire links to a company or website on a legitimate high authority page. That is why clients often want to get their content onto Wikipedia. It is similar to paying for reviews, comments with links or using PBNs to gain more backlinks. 

Goran V Moderator Member Since: Mar 24, 2017
8 of 15

Hi All,

Few comments have been removed as they were not relevant for the topic. 

Untitled
9 of 15

Juvy Ann P wrote:

I thought you wanted an answer because I saw many question marks.  I have no further arguments.  Happy Sunday, too. :-) Wait, I just realized we're sharing the same time zone.

If you had looked on my profile than you would have seen that my time zone is according the time in Germany. Indeed there is a discrepancy with the time shown on my profile in the community I was not aware. It was correct in the past. I have to look into this and see if I can change it.

Edited to add: I had a look. Indeed a false time zone is shown on my profile (2 hours discrepancy), although I selected the right time zone. Somebody has to look into this.

Time zone mistake.jpg

Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
10 of 15

Juvy Ann P wrote:

Margarete M wrote:

I suspect that the question marks were based on the fact that the OPs issue  has nothing to do with SEO, and the problem he's raising is unrelated to black hat/white hat SEO issues.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS