Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Another Chargeback - Fedup with Upwork's attitute towards scammers

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Shane B Member Since: May 6, 2015
1 of 10

I completed a job for a client a few months ago, he had some issues with his hosting provider, basically he'd had his servers shutdown for sending out spam emails.

He put in a dispute to Upwork support, saying I didn't do they job correctly, we went to mediation, I supplied Upwork support with multiple screenshots of his hosting account with a hosting company, where they'd opened a ticket, telling him he was being shutdown for sending out spam. Client threatened Upwork mediation that if they did not find in his favour, he'd do a chargeback via his bank. Mediation replied that they couldn't find in his favour due to the evidence I'd supplied. Mediation case closed.

Couple of months later my account gets a withdrawal hold put on it due to this client doing a chargeback via his bank. I supplied ALL the evidence again, so that Upwork can dispute it with the bank. Two months later I have to chase up Upwork support as no-one had bothered to update me. Result? Of course, the bank had sided with their client, and Upwork are not releasing my payment hold on my account until the money is refunded back to them.

The whole attitude regarding this stinks. When are WE as freelancers going to win a chargeback case made by a scammer? I'm tired of being scammed, I'm tired of losing these cases. And then all support helpfully tells me is "do hourly contracts as they are guaranteed" Well I say fixed contracts should be removed if they cannot guarantee some protection against scammers.

I don't even feel like doing any more work through Upwork. I've been here since oDesk days. About 7-8 years now. Thanks for all the loyal support Upwork.

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Lovro B Member Since: Nov 2, 2015
2 of 10

Hey Shane,

You are not alone. I had exactly the same experinece 24h ago and problem was also with Clients hosting company, what a small world or just a good way to get the refund. I am also on the platform for a long long time and there is not much we can do except, do what they say and pray the God it does not happen again with other Clients but that is for sure not the way how we can continue Freelancing on Upwork.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
3 of 10

@Lovro B wrote:

Hey Shane,

You are not alone. I had exactly the same experinece 24h ago?

Really? I thought you said your situation was a dispute, not a chargeback?

Highlighted
Vladimir G Moderator Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
4 of 10

Hi Shane,

I'm sorry about the outcome of the chargeback our team assisted you with. I see our agent updated your ticket but I'll ask someone from our team will follow up again and clarify our policy.

Lovro, please note that your case is different from the OP's in content and type, as your dispute was settled in mediation.

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Lovro B Member Since: Nov 2, 2015
5 of 10

I was referring to "Fedup with Upwork's attitute towards scammers"

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Shane B Member Since: May 6, 2015
6 of 10

@Vladimir G wrote:

Hi Shane,

I'm sorry about the outcome of the chargeback our team assisted you with. I see our agent updated your ticket but I'll ask someone from our team will follow up again and clarify our policy.

Lovro, please note that your case is different from the OP's in content and type, as your dispute was settled in mediation.

Hi Vladimir,

No need to clarify Upwork's policy, I am aware of it. It is one-sided, skewed towards always siding with the client and never the freelancer. In my case, with all the threatening done by the client towards Upwork, that alone should have been enough to win the case against the bank.

If I decide to continue using Upwork, I'll just never use a fixed priced contract again, unless Upwork does something to protect the Freelancer against these scammers.

Regards

Shane

Highlighted
Community Guru
Kathy T Member Since: Jul 17, 2015
7 of 10

Sometimes I wonder if Upwork actually tries to get the chargeback reversed and if so, how much effort they put into it. After all, Upwork does get their money back, ---from YOU. I don't know if it's possible, but when chargebacks occur, that a contractor can obtain the name of the charge card, PayPal or bank account and the account numbers so that the contractor, who is the one out of money, can "fight" witht the documentation and mediation results. IMO, I think the person who ultimately is out the money will put the effor and time in, more so then anyone else.

[Edited} I'm extremely happy to hear that Upwork has returned the "chargeback" funds.

Highlighted
Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
8 of 10

Shane,

Please, refer to the update sent via your ticket about half an hour ago. After completing an extensive review, Upwork has decided to cover these chargeback funds on your behalf. Your ability to withdraw funds has also been reinstated.

Thank you.

~ Valeria
Untitled
Highlighted
Community Guru
Gerry S Member Since: Nov 23, 2014
9 of 10

Still sounds like **Edited for Community Guidelines** ... What's the statute of limitations on UpWork? 7 years?

Highlighted
Community Guru
Jennifer D Member Since: Feb 15, 2016
10 of 10

I have previously worked in disputing chargebacks (not for Upwork), and I can tell you that unfortunately it's not really simple. Even if Upwork provide all the evidence to the bank, it's still up to the bank to make the initial decision on the outcome of the chargeback. And of course, they are far more likely to decide in favor of their client. It doesn't matter how "airtight" your case is. Upwork can, of course, choose to enter into arbitration over the chargeback - but similar to Upwork dispute arbitration, there's a cost to this. And again, arbitration leans heavily in favor of the cardholder. Merchants are generally not encouraged to go to arbitration.

Of course, what Upwork *do* have control over is what they do if they receive a chargeback. Taking the money from the freelancer is not great. Chargebacks are generally considered a cost of doing business.

However it sounds like in this case you got your money back. So that's positive, at least.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS