cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Another Proofreading Scam

Highlighted
John R Member Since: Apr 2, 2018
1 of 12

Great. The first real proofreading contact in weeks, and it turns into a scam.

+++++++++++++++

[Him]

Before we proceed I would like you to know that if you are going to be employed we will be working outside Upwork, we will be paying you directly and we are looking for Proofreader that will work for a long term.

Is that fine with you?

[Me]

That would be a violation of the Upwork terms of service agreement. We would both get banned from using Upwork.

[Him]

As long as you haven't been hired over there, that won't be an issue, Okay?

[Me]

Sorry. I will have to pass.

+++++++++++++++

The fact that he insisted on using Skype text chat was the first bad sign. This client needs to be banned from Upwork. I need to talk to an Upwork worker so that I can give the specifics.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Mary W Member Since: Nov 10, 2014
2 of 12

Flag the original job post.

Highlighted
John R Member Since: Apr 2, 2018
3 of 12

Oh. I had to withdraw my proposal before being able to flag the client.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
4 of 12

John:

Thanks for reporting these bogus "clients."

Whether they actually intend to pay freelancers off-platform (doubtful) or just scam the freelancers, that kind of behavior can not be tolerated. People like that damage the platform.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Nina K Member Since: Nov 29, 2017
5 of 12

Hi John,

Thanks for bringing this to our attention. Please send me a PM with a link to the job posting and the details of the converrsation where the client informed you that they'd like to pay you directly and I will have our team review the client. Thank you.

~Nina
Highlighted
Caron S Member Since: Jun 11, 2019
6 of 12

I don't know how to flag a SCAM job offer, but here it is: **Edited for Community Guidelines**. It was exactly the same as the proofreading scam described above, except they wanted to Google Hangouts chat for the interview. 

Highlighted
David T Member Since: May 29, 2019
7 of 12

SCAM!!!! **edited for Community Guidelines** is a scam operation.

I applied for a proofreading job with **edited for Community Guidelines**on Upwork and did an interview on Hangouts with **edited for Community Guidelines**. I was immediately suspicious after reading the astronomical amount they wanted to start me at, so, like any skeptical person, I did some researching and googling and even looked at the company to make sure it was real. Everything I found checked out. I was cautiously optimistic.Then I found out **edited for Community Guidelines** wants you to print off a picture of a check in the amount $4,500 (for software and equipment apparently...) and do a mobile deposit of said printed check. RED FLAGS EVERYWHERE.This is a fraudulent check. There is a whole thread on **edited for Community Guidelines**

Highlighted
Avery O Moderator Member Since: Nov 23, 2015
8 of 12

Thanks for flagging this here, David. 

I checked the job post and the client you have referred to on your post, and can confirm that actions have been taken against the account for violating the Upwork Terms of Service. In the future, you may flag these job posts as inapporpriate so that the team receives it in their queue, and they can review and take the necessary actions on their account. 

-Avery
Untitled
Highlighted
Community Guru
Martina P Member Since: Jul 11, 2018
9 of 12

David T wrote:

SCAM!!!! **edited for Community Guidelines** is a scam operation.

I applied for a proofreading job with **edited for Community Guidelines**on Upwork and did an interview on Hangouts with **edited for Community Guidelines**. I was immediately suspicious after reading the astronomical amount they wanted to start me at, so, like any skeptical person, I did some researching and googling and even looked at the company to make sure it was real. Everything I found checked out. I was cautiously optimistic.Then I found out **edited for Community Guidelines** wants you to print off a picture of a check in the amount $4,500 (for software and equipment apparently...) and do a mobile deposit of said printed check. RED FLAGS EVERYWHERE.This is a fraudulent check. There is a whole thread on **edited for Community Guidelines**

The companies are always real, you are wasting your time googling them. Seems these scammers are getting lazy and not even sending the checks any more? That is just sad. 

Obviously, nobody on this planet buys equipment for a complete stranger on the internet for free.

Highlighted
Kenji T Member Since: May 29, 2019
10 of 12
Yes, this happened to me and I caught it super quick. The dummy companies have actual contact names and phone numbers. Sad that this happens but you really have to have due diligence with these sort of things in today’s day and age.
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS