Another bug: system doesn't detect my country

elastella
Community Guru
Ela K Member Since: Feb 9, 2015
1 of 5

I live in Germany. But the system doesn't agree:

Bildschirmfoto 2018-03-08 um 16.54.43.png

Yes, I can still apply etc. etc. 

Still, it shouldn't be that way.  And my application looks better when I meet ALL the client's preferred criteria.

creativedigit
Community Guru
Wassim T Member Since: May 29, 2015
2 of 5

Hi Ela,

If I'm not mistaken, the client's preferred location is the continent of Asia, and since you are in Germany (Europe) then you are not qualified. What do you think?

Edited to add: I think it is horrible that Upwork is displaying the "Preferred Location" line this way. It is kind of combining their preferred location with your own country. Very confusing.

elastella
Community Guru
Ela K Member Since: Feb 9, 2015
3 of 5

The client is looking for a native German speaker. Obviously, they can select a region AND a country.

Obviously, the country doesn't need to be within the region, which doesn't make any sense.

Still, the selected country is Germany. And that matches my profile.

This is what it looks like in the job post:

Bildschirmfoto 2018-03-08 um 17.24.56.png

ETA: The client is actually looking for a German AND a Japanese freelancer, so they clearly wanted to select both options.

creativedigit
Community Guru
Wassim T Member Since: May 29, 2015
4 of 5

Thanks for clarifying this, Ela. That is terrible programming.

As a developer, I do say that the "Region" dominates the "Country".  So programming wise, you are not qualified because you do not meet both criteria of living in Asia and specifically in Germany (which you can LOL at as much as you want because that can't be possible for anyone on this planet).

So that's a bug. Upwork should limit the countries the client can select based on the region specified.

kochubei_valeria
Community Manager
Valeria K Community Manager Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
5 of 5

Thanks for bringing it up, Ela. We are investigating this issue at the moment. Could you please also send me a PM with the link to the job post you are referring to?

~ Valeria
Upwork
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS