» Forums » Freelancers » Answers recieved
Page options
6295f0a9
Community Member

Answers recieved

12 REPLIES 12
lysis10
Community Member

I guess I would find out if what he says is true. How long would it have taken to just give him the other file types? Is it just a matter of converting it to a different format? If so, I probably would have just done it tbh.

6295f0a9
Community Member

It wouldn't have take a long time. But compared to the amount of work they had me doing and not paying for it. Was it too much to ask? After all this is a business platform. Also this client is someone who has made many purchases on the platform the must know that people are here to make money.
lysis10
Community Member

Clint D wrote:
It wouldn't have take a long time. But compared to the amount of work they had me doing and not paying for it. Was it too much to ask? After all this is a business platform. Also this client is someone who has made many purchases on the platform the must know that people are here to make money.

Since it's your first review, clicking a button to convert to a different file format seems like a worthwhile venture for good feedback. The public feedback is good but I'd be concerned that the private feedback isn't great, because like you said he's been on the platform for a while and probably knows how it works.

6295f0a9
Community Member

I'm trying to understand is it's a requirement to do additional work once you have completed a contract?
lysis10
Community Member

Clint D wrote:
I'm trying to understand is it's a requirement to do additional work once you have completed a contract?

Define "work?" Are you talking about clicking a button to convert a file so that the customer gets the other file formats he wants and you make your first client happy? Do you have a lot going on where the button click woulda put you behind on other contracts? What were you gonna charge him to convert a file? Were the additional pennies worth the struggle?

You don't have to do anything that you don't want to do. You asked what people would do and what they thought, so that's why I'm telling you. I would have just given him the file formats if we're talking about just converting file formats using a software button click.

martina_plaschka
Community Member

You got a good feedback, which is not a given with a dirt-cheap client like this. So count yourself lucky and be more careful to clarify everything before you accept an offer. 

I definitely will be more careful next time. valuable lesson learnt. I believe it was hard work and professionalism rather than luck. Do you think the way I handled the situation needs improvement?

The mere fact that you're asking this question shows you know you didn't handle the situation well.

You should be polite to your clients at all times, whether before, during or after the contract.

From the way you treated that client, you should know that you've lost any possible future business with them.

If the raw files of that project are crucial for what the client wants to do, I'd wager that by holding the raw files hostage after client had given you feedback, you're causing yourself more liability than necessary in relation to that contract.

Did your agreement state that you will deliver the file in only format?

If no, it means you're defaulting to the standard terms of working on Upwork - you're working for hire, and the raw files belong to the client.

It was quite obvious to me that they were expecting way too much based on my interaction with them. The client only requested a 30 second voice over. I provided just that. I don't see how providing addition files are required of me if my work was approved by the client.

I would like to know if you are quoting this from the tos or if this is just your view point.
"Did your agreement state that you will deliver the file in only x format?
If no, it means you're defaulting to the standard terms of working on Upwork - you're working for hire, and the raw files belong to the client."

Personally, and this is just my opinion as both a freelancer and as a client, I think you're being unreasonable. If it only takes a few minutes to convert the files and send them to the client, then it's not really free work. I've had clients ask my to upload files to share to a Google drive or Dropbox or their server after it's been paid and submitted through UpWork, and I do that as a courtesy. Giving the clients their files when they've paid for work is a given. When I submit a grant on behalf of a client, I not only give them the fully submitted proposal, but I send them all the back up files used to create any graphics or budget spreadsheets, attachments, etc., so they not only have the PDF submission but all the individual files as well. It's not stipulated in our contract, it's a given. If I were this client, I would also be surprised to not get all files or to get push back on converting a file. You're mad at the client for asking for numerous revisions, but did you stipulate in the contract how many rounds of revisions would be done? It sort of sounds like you're angry bc you took a low paying fixed gig and took it out on the client. It's not their fault you said yes. 

Clint D wrote:

I would like to know if you are quoting this from the tos or if this is just your view point.
"Did your agreement state that you will deliver the file in only x format?
If no, it means you're defaulting to the standard terms of working on Upwork - you're working for hire, and the raw files belong to the client."

Yes, this is in the TOS. But even if it were just an opinion, didn't you ask people for their opinions? And now you're arguing with everyone and trying to justify your actions.

I would apologise to the client and give him his files if I were you (but that's just my opinion - you can take it or leave it). And then don't bid on any more low-paying jobs if it's going to make you resentful.

Clint, in case you're still not convinced, here goes the ToS for you.

Copyright terms.png

When you read further down a little, here is the definition of "work product":

Work product.png

So yes, to the extent provided for by the ToS, the client owns those tracked out WAVs (or whatever source file format) you're hoarding from them.

Cheers 😉

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths