cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anti-Agency Bias

Tommy S Member Since: Jun 12, 2018
1 of 6

Hi everyone!  Am I imagining things or do most Upwork clients really dislike agencies? 

I opened one in good faith--I actually just took my existing business and gave it agency status on Upwork.  But over several months my bids have been far more successful when I bid as an invidivual than as an agency. 

I'm also experiencing a high level of success getting phone interviews as myself, but then I don't close many big deals even though I have unanimous acclaim for my work.  I could just be weak during the phone interviews, but at the same time I also mention the agency every time.  I don't know if the two are related?  Would people be less likely to hire me if I'm even associated with an agency? 

Thanks in advance for any input--I'm really open to considering any possibility.  I'm just trying to make sense of it all...  

Brandon L Member Since: May 16, 2017
2 of 6

Having been on both the freelancing and client-side and having an agency myself, I can say that a majority of clients choose to freelance because they want to work with the freelancer directly and they have the notion that if they work with an agency, this isn't the case anymore. You should educate your prospective clients on why you formed an agency and the benefits it brings you, while at the same time it doesn't change anything regarding the communication and services you offer them. 

I personally choose to begin working with a client as an individual freelancer and then on the second job onwards I ask them to invite me through my agency. 

3 of 6

Hi Brandon, thanks so much for the insight; it's extremely helpful!  I may just disband the thing at this phase in my growth since I don't have anyone else working under it.     

sadae d Member Since: Sep 13, 2015
4 of 6

Hello Tommy!

You may be on to something. I believe most clients on Upwork seek persons that they can work with individually. 

I have personally outsourced a few times on Upwork when I needed help and I can tell you that I didn't even bat an eyelash if it wasn't an individual applying. It feels more personal that way. Unless the client is directly looking to hire an agency...

There's nothing worse than someone applying to your job and you getting a robotic feel, like the proposal is prewritten and could have been sent to any similar job. Trust me when I tell you that I could easily pick up such proposals.

Connect with your client!

5 of 6

Hi Sadae, thank you very much for the frank insight!  Like I mentioned in the earlier post, I might just get rid of the agency, at least on Upwork.  I have no evidence it ever won me a job and plenty of evidence it's cost me.  

Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
6 of 6

As a client, I have hired over 70 freelancers.

I would never knowingly hire an agency.

There are a couple of times when I hires and agency without realizing it. These were bad experiences.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS