cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any Malayalees/ Keralites here to clarify about a super-spooky transcription audio?

Highlighted
Community Leader
Geomaria G Member Since: Mar 6, 2015
1 of 10

Want to Ask about this weird transcription job with audio file I just heard. I don't do transcription, as I'm an English content writer and was just digging for the Malayalam jobs outta boredom. 

As I don't have an earphone, but just high curiosity, I still downloaded the audio and tried hearing on this job post inviting malayalees for transcription. I couldn't hear clearly but just some bickering. It sounds really creepy and spooky as hell or something like a marital feud.

If you hear it through, let me know a blurb too.

Here's the job id.

https://www.upwork.com/jobs/_~010b555300a7674b30/

Geo Maria George
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
2 of 10

The job of a transcriptionist is to render an audio file into readable text.

Said audio files might be straightforward discussions of legal matters. They might be creepy-as-heck marital arguments. They might be something far worse.

It's not really a transcriptionist's job to judge the character of the speakers, their moral values, or the relative creepiness of the audio file.

Community Leader
3 of 10

Thank you Preston. Because it's a different job, I had no idea. I apologize. Thank you again.

But, don't you think the audio must not be posted on the proposal then? I mean, I'm just wondering, what if someone else does something farther. 

PS: I felt creeped out because my computer speaker is pathetic and I can't wake up my roomie. 

Geo Maria George
Community Guru
4 of 10

Do I think the audio should not have been posted?

I haven't listened to it and I wouldn't underdstand if I did.

I am sure many people would think that the audio should not be posted, and they might say that without really knowing any more details than I do.

I don't know if this is part of a legal preceeding and is part of the public record. I don't know if this from a play or audio drama. I am assuming that a real client somewhere really wants to hire somebody to get this audio file transcribed. I think Upwork is an excellent tool for making that happen.

I can tell you this, though: It is very foolish for any transcriptionist to agree to a fixed-price job without first obtaining the audio file. Because the quality and nature of audio files can vary WIDELY, and there is no way to estimate how difficult or time-consuming a job will be unless one has the file first.

Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
5 of 10

Preston H wrote: I am assuming that a real client somewhere really wants to hire somebody to get this audio file transcribed. I think Upwork is an excellent tool for making that happen.

No verified payment method.

4 jobs posted.

0% hire rate

Private conversation between 2 people, no indication that both consented to being recorded, let alone have it posted on the Internet.

It is beyond me how anyone could not see how this could be anything other than at best "problematic!"

Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
BEST ANSWER
6 of 10

@geomaria G wrote:

Thank you Preston. Because it's a different job, I had no idea. I apologize. Thank you again.

But, don't you think the audio must not be posted on the proposal then? I mean, I'm just wondering, what if someone else does something farther. 

PS: I felt creeped out because my computer speaker is pathetic and I can't wake up my roomie. 

Geomaria, you have nothing to apologize for, and you are right, this is almost certainly entirely inappropriate and you would be right to report it.

Chances are this was recorded without at least one person's permission which is at best inappropriate, illegal at worst. and publishing it is probably equally inappropriate / illegal.

Preston patronising about what the job of a transcriptionist is or is not does not change the fact that private conversations do not belong on the Internet if there is a high chance that they are being published their without the knowledge and consent of the parties in question.

Community Leader
7 of 10

Now, that sounds exactly right.

It really sounded like the guy might hit her or something at the end. I was really creeped and hence, posted it here.  Now, I heard it on full volume and it sounds like a divorce thing and I think the guy recorded this without the permission of the woman. (I just didn't have the patience to hear through their blah-blah for 30 minutes and hence forwarded. The guy seems to be really silent and provoking the woman it seems. 

So, I'm flagging the post.  I hope you do that too, then. 

Geo Maria George
Joanne Marie P Moderator Member Since: Nov 26, 2017
8 of 10

Hi Geo,

Thank you for bringing this to our attention. I have shared this to the team for checking. You can also use the flag option found on each job post to report any suspicious or inappropriate content. Here's the help article for more information. 

-Joanne
Untitled
Community Guru
Isabelle Anne A Member Since: May 19, 2014
9 of 10

So I sent this to my mom lol.

She didn't have the patience to go through the whole thing carefully, but it starts with the wife by herself, muttering about a dirty house. Then when the husband arrives, they get into an argument and just keep hurling verbal abuse at each other (really crude, apparently). And the wife suggests divorce but wants to be compensated for wasting 2 years of her life.

According, to him she'll always be just a salesgirl; and according to her, he and his mom are exactly the same Smiley Indifferent

Definitely a private convo and recorded without at least one person's consent.

Community Guru
10 of 10

re: "Definitely a private convo and recorded without at least one person's consent."

The legality of which varies depending on where one lives.

Audio recording may require two-party consent, or only one-party consent, depending on varying national, state and regional laws. (In the United States, 12 states have two-party or multi-party consent laws while 38 states and the Disctrict of Columbia have one-party consent laws. Some two-party consent states have various exceptions allowing one-party consent recordings.) And in many situations audio recordings are legal without the consent of any of the people being recorded.

(NOT that I'm saying that is the only point of this thread, or even the most important point.)

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS