๐Ÿˆ
ยป Forums ยป Freelancers ยป Re: Any consequences if I cancel a writing jo...
Page options
gary-harvey
Community Member

Any consequences if I cancel a writing job because I dont like the topic?

Hi. After a client hires me to write, I discover the topic is not something I want to write about.

If I cancel the job, does that impact my Upwork standing?

Any penalties?

Also... do you have any tips on preventing this from happening?

Thank you in advance.

Gary

6 REPLIES 6
kinector
Community Member

Here's a tip for preventing this from happening in the future: Ask the client about the topic BEFORE starting a contract. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Thanks, Mikko, but how to do that for Projects? I've included a question at the end of my project description, saying:
"Any questions before you order? (GREAT IDEA)
Please message me. This is a great idea so you and I can both be comfortable about working together. You need to know I can handle your needs, and so do I. Looking forward to hearing from you."

BUT I didn't see any way to insert this step as mandatory BEFORE the client can order. Is there such a way? 

Gary wrote:

Thanks, Mikko, but how to do that for Projects? I've included a question at the end of my project description, saying:
"Any questions before you order? (GREAT IDEA)
Please message me. This is a great idea so you and I can both be comfortable about working together. You need to know I can handle your needs, and so do I. Looking forward to hearing from you."

BUT I didn't see any way to insert this step as mandatory BEFORE the client can order. Is there such a way? 

Yes, you can add specific requirements, and one of those could be a custom question about the topic. Then when they submit it you can accept or cancel it immediately if it's not a topic you are interested in writing about. 

petra_r
Community Member

On project catalogue orders you can cancel within 24 hours without an effect on your profile or JSS.

Great news, Petra. Thanks. Kudos +1. 

You've inspired me to do what I should have done earlier. Hunt up what UW officially say. Here's what I found:

"Contract Cancellation Grace Period

Freelancers have a grace period to cancel a contract within its first 24 hours, without impact to their Job Success Score." 

https://support.upwork.com/hc/en-us/articles/360057397533-Create-a-Project

and here's how to do it:

https://community.upwork.com/t5/Freelancers/Cancelling-a-Project-Catalog-Order/m-p/931248#M579098

Sorry, I misread. 

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths