🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: Any full-timers who do Upwork on the side...
Page options
zsummers
Community Member

Any full-timers who do Upwork on the side....

Hey everyone, 

I'm a graphic designer, who does freelance on the side, at night mostly and on weekends. I have received a few jobs on Upwork, and have had good luck recently. However, I'm curious how some of you manage your client's expections with revisions to a project. I always respond to my client vie the app, or even text, but when it comes to doing the actual work I do that at home. Meaning if my client sends me revisions at 9:00am, I will respond right away, but I can't get to that revision until I return home that afternoon. I try and be fully transparent about expectations, but I wonder if that's best.

13 REPLIES 13
kbadeau
Community Member

I only came to Upwork when I no longer had a full time job but I do tell clients things like "I have to finish something up for a client in NYC first," or I will accept a contract and reiterate that I can't start working on it until a certain time or date. Good clients get it. Bad clients you don't want anyway.

kbadeau
Community Member

PS I'm curious why your profile is private?

Anonymous-User
Not applicable

Profiles do not have to be public. Some people keep them off because they have other employment and they do not want their UW profile to show up on search engine results. 

Cairenn R wrote:

Profiles do not have to be public. Some people keep them off because they have other employment and they do not want their UW profile to show up on search engine results. 

I know they don't HAVE to be. But can clients still see them? I certainly wouldn't hire someone if I couldn't see their profile.

kbadeau
Community Member

Also regarding revisions... for my bread and butter clients, I like to do those revisions for them right away. That's how they stay my bread and butter clients. Some revisions take about the same amount of time as any correspondence would take. 🙂

Anonymous-User
Not applicable

Kelly B wrote:

Cairenn R wrote:

I know they don't HAVE to be. But can clients still see them? I certainly wouldn't hire someone if I couldn't see their profile.

It's only marked on the forum as private - the forums are always public in general. 

zsummers
Community Member

Hey, thanks so much for the advice. I thought my profile was visible to the UpWork community, so I thought you'd be able to see it, but if not, then it should be fixed now. 

z

petra_r
Community Member

Kelly B wrote:

PS I'm curious why your profile is private?

It isn't.

It is set to Upwork users only, which means there is no direct click through from the forum.

Zach.jpg

Kelly B wrote:

But can clients still see them? I certainly wouldn't hire someone if I couldn't see their profile.

Yes, of course they can! Even if they are set to private, clients someone applied to can (obviously) see the profile

Anonymous-User
Not applicable

I set a schedule for each project and stick to it (within reason). 

You do not have to tell a client everything about why you aren't around - they don't care about your other job, your drama and personal issues, etc. And it's none of their business anyway. 

As far as revisions, they get two rounds depending upon the project. Of course, things come up and I may need to adjust it but like the other person said, good clients that you have great rapport with understand. 

Thank you. 

Cairenn R wrote:

I set a schedule for each project and stick to it (within reason). 

You do not have to tell a client everything about why you aren't around - they don't care about your other job, your drama and personal issues, etc. And it's none of their business anyway. 

As far as revisions, they get two rounds depending upon the project. Of course, things come up and I may need to adjust it but like the other person said, good clients that you have great rapport with understand. 

What's funny is one of my clients likes to send me responses from her other freelancers (in this case an editor), and she just totally quotes them. So she sends me one last week where her freelancer says she has to get something to eat. First of all I wouldn't say that to a client, but also if I did, I would hope they wouldn't be sharing that info with other people. If I have to go to the doctor, or have a lunch date or whatever, I'll usually just say I have a meeting, if I say anything at all.

Anonymous-User
Not applicable

That is funny. I know that must happen a lot. I'm pretty selective with what I say. "Do they really want/need to know this?" Hm. Prob no. lol

lysis10
Community Member

I did Elance on the side for a few years. I would take stuff that I could do on the weekends. I didn't make much but it gave me extra money and kept my profile active before going full time.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths