Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any other Upworkers out the door?

yowiedesign
Community Guru
Craig A Member Since: Jan 18, 2016
11 of 17

I'm going to stay. I want to see how it turns out.

Plus, where would I go? 🙂

tgstudio
Community Guru
Amy T Member Since: Jan 31, 2013
12 of 17

I'm staying put. Why leave if one is doing well here? Besides, have you all looked at the other freelancer sites? Junk.

versailles
Community Guru
Rene K Member Since: Jul 10, 2014
13 of 17

@steve p wrote:

I'm just really curious as to how many unsatisfied freelancers are fixing to leave.

A lot I hope 🙂 but very few I guess.

Many have screamed out loud that they're done with Upwork, but I would be surprised if they actually leave. Some may, however, and everyone who think that Upwork has nothing left to offer should stop wasting their time on this platform.

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless
iaabraham
Community Guru
Isabelle Anne A Member Since: May 19, 2014
14 of 17

I'm staying for now because I have no other choice, but I really don't appreciate this 20% fee (considering what we're getting in return).

The others are right - other freelancing platforms are worse - but what I'd really like is to not have to rely on these kinds of sites at all. There are many successful freelancers who do that, but it takes a bit of time and effort.

Getting there... Robot Indifferent

tlsanders
Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
15 of 17

@Isabelle Anne A wrote:

I'm staying for now because I have no other choice, but I really don't appreciate this 20% fee (considering what we're getting in return).

The others are right - other freelancing platforms are worse - but what I'd really is to not have to rely on these kinds of sites at all. There are many successful freelancers who do that, but it takes a bit of time and effort.

Getting there... Robot Indifferent

I've made my living freelancing without platforms like this for a long time, and it can definitely be done. But, the time and effort that Upwork saves me allows me to bill more hours/week--enough to far surpass Upwork fees.

I wouldn't be too quick to jump ship. Cultivate other sources, for sure, but keep your account and check in from time to time. You never know when you'll need to pick up some work quickly, and I've never found a better source than Upwork for that. 

iaabraham
Community Guru
Isabelle Anne A Member Since: May 19, 2014
16 of 17
Yep, and I'm doing pretty well on Upwork at the moment (not sure how long that will last though).

Love the time tracker concept and the fact that I don't have to constantly badger clients for payment, but really unhappy with the site stability as well as the several bugs that occur at any given time. Hate the JSS's lack of transparency and the fact that things like no-feedback contracts affect one's score.

The site, as it is, is definitely worth 10% fees, but certainly not 20%. But like I said, what choice do I have?

I'm just lucky that I have enough current contracts to keep me going for a while, but these fees would totally suck if I were a newbie here.
m_valens
Ace Contributor
Marco V Member Since: Apr 2, 2016
17 of 17

Although I agree that the fee increase is really too much, I will stay. I've started freelancing only some months ago, and managed to find some decent jobs to start with. I'm not going to quit now. 

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS