cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any suggestions for a new oDesk freelancer

Highlighted
Victor L Member Since: Aug 12, 2013
1 of 6
Hello everyone, I'm starting my animation career here on oDesk, and I need some words of encouragement or any suggestions that can increase my chance for getting accepted on projects. So far, I am not sure luck is on my side. I had applied for five projects, and I did not receive any word about getting accepted or rejected. Is this usually normal for people starting out at oDesk? And I want to ask if there is anything I can improve on my profile in case if there's something I am missing. By the way, I did not took any tests because my abilities are based on design and creativity, and a lot of those tests are only based on programming. (i.e. I only know how to animate on Adobe Flash and none of the ActionScript.)
Highlighted
Oluwakemi B Member Since: Mar 26, 2013
2 of 6
Hi Victor, I really don't know anything about your line of work but what I know is that you need much more than 5 applications to get awarded a contract. I remembered when I first started I use my 20 applications within 3 days, and I applied day and night but I still have to wait for about a month to get my first contract which happened not to be a work really, just something to get a feedback from since the amount I was paid cannot be mentioned. So in order for you to succeed in this freelance world, you have to be ready to be outstanding and unique because there are thousands of freelancers out there doing the same thing you are doing.
Highlighted
Victor L Member Since: Aug 12, 2013
3 of 6
Hello Oluwakemi, I thank you for replying. Yes, I will take that advice for consideration, but I'm just afraid job posting scams I will run into, such as I hear that fixed-price jobs tends to become a bit shady when working. But I do understand what are you referring. Thank you.
Highlighted
Community Guru
Stephen B Member Since: Dec 4, 2012
4 of 6
Hi Victor I agree with all of the above - it's quite Normal to have to spend the first couple of months just applying toill you get your foot in the door, and then maybe just a small job to get god feedback. keep applying and don't lose heart. maybe the tests don't suit you, but do you have items you've already done you can post in your portfolio - the more clients can see of the quality of your work the better. As for "fixed-price jobs tends to become a bit shady when working", that is just a big generalisation. Of course some of them are, but the vast majority are not. I started here a year ago and for the first four months did nothing but fixed price jobs. You need to gen yourself up about how the site works and the lookout signs for scams, keep your wits about you, and ask for a small upfront payment on fixed jobs so that you have the chance of giving honest feedback if it goes wrong. There's a very good sticky thread on the forum home page https://www.odesk.com/community/node/25179 which should be required reading for anyone starting up. So hang on in there, keep your radar switched on, and good luck Stephen
Highlighted
Emily F Member Since: Dec 14, 2013
5 of 6
Hi Victor and Welcome to oDesk! I am more on the Language side than anything else (hence the book I've just written/typed) but it's always good, I think, to start at a reasonable rate per hour; then edit it as you gain contracts/hours and stars. Now, discard what you just read if in your field, what you are already charging is a normal rate for beginners. When I joined in November of this year, I didn't want to charge an insignificant amount per hour because no matter what, I am putting my skills and time at the service of Clients. However, I had to be realistic and understand that there were already a lot of more experienced translators than me on here. Bottom line: I charge what I believe is reasonable because I am only just starting in the Freelancing world and in a near future, I shall be changing my hourly rate to a higher one because I've been gaining some experience through fixed budget contracts as well as some hours for hourly jobs and I've earned some good comments from clients. I've been through your profile and other than some typing errors here and there, which you may want to correct (to *form potential..., I allow these concepts to *mature), it's a pretty good overview. Now, do NOT assess yourself 1 out of 5. Trust me, I have read some very poor English (even from clients!) and yours is fine! And it doesn't make the client especially keen to hire you if he/she is picky about English. Maybe the issue lies in your cover letters? When you are applying for a job, it's mostly all about selling your skills. BUT, you need to be sure that you CAN produce results expected by the client. Also, NO familiarity, as in "Yo, Wassup bro?" (maybe I slightly exaggerated that one). Be professional and tell the client about your skills pertaining to the job he/she is proposing. Always make sure, when writing your cover letter, that you are still in line with what is being asked/said in the job post. You don't want to be writing about hotdogs when the job post is asking for cupcakes, do you? If I can think of anything else, I will update this later or hopefully, others will. Lastly, you haven't taken any tests but you have uploaded some portfolios, which in your field of expertise would, I believe, give a clearer idea about what you can offer to the client rather than a number of tests which you could have passed. Remember, as a freelancer, there are days with and days without. If you've had more of the latter, brace yourself, modify what you can to make things better and keep trying. Good luck!
Highlighted
Jose Francisco Ste R Member Since: Oct 20, 2010
6 of 6
Hi Victor, Try taking some of the test related to Adobe Flash CS3, CS4 and others. Probably you could also take those related to graphics designing. Good luck!
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS