🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Any tips to dealing with unreasonable clients...
Page options
soubhik_
Community Member

Any tips to dealing with unreasonable clients who don't bother to communicate?

In the last three years of working on Upwork, I have had just 2-3 disputes.

Fast forward last week, and I have had to dispute as many as three clients. Here are the details.

1. #1 client wanted an academic essay. Says just to write one page as a draft out of a total of ten pages and send. I send it and the feedback was to continue, with new additional instructions and to include citations. I had already stated in the initial message I will do the citations later as I develop the content.

Fast forward 8-10 hours, and I get a refund request. Why? Because the quality was suddenly poor now in the one page I had submitted. Even though she sent me additional instructions for the project that was important, which she didn't even send before. Absolutely no communication but requests a total refund by cancelling the project. Already had written 7-8 pages, and with zero response, had to dispute. 

Later got to know she is a college student - don't know why Upwork allows that.

2. A CBD client in the U.S. needed a 5,000 word home page for their website for SEO as well as two other articles of 3,000 words each. Stated "rewrite from other pages."  

I believe you let the client know once you think that their approach is wrong, but if a client wants things done a certain way, you do that. So, 5,000 words for a homepage made no sense, but if the client needed it for SEO, I wrote that. There were no additional instructions. I submitted files on different days, and after around 3 days, I see the client paying me $28 out of $300 (For 11,000 words), and requesting a refund for the remaining $272!

Why? The content was "bit basic". Let me tell you the topic he asked me to write on for one of those 3,000-word web pages was - "xyz product for sale" for SEO. That's all he had in the instructions, which additionally asked for rewrites from other web pages online. 

Again, had to dispute it, because he didn't even respond, and just asked for $272 in return and disappeared. No communication. 

3. Now, the third story. I don't know why clients feel entitled to make freelancers work for free. The client has an SEO agency in Ireland. Is too busy at work probably. Hence, he needs a writer who needs zero edits according to him. Unfortunately, he doesn't have time to review work but when asked, just say - 'it has errors and I am not going to pay'.

When I said I will have to dispute it, he gives me a few sentences that had both proofreading issues and personal preferences to how he wants it to be said. For example, he doesn't like this sentence, "Other businesses do the opposite: they create profile duplicates on the app."

I state that am always willing to revise, but he states "In order for you to proofread and fix issues I need to spend time to highlight all of them." And he doesn't have that time. And expects me to refund the entire amount because of that.

This particular client doesn't have a good review anyway on Upwork. Again, disputed. But will go to arbitration with this guy for sure.

Can't figure out if it's a rough patch for me right now, or Upwork's getting really bad clients. Maybe I did something right before that am not doing right now.

Just wanted to ask other freelancers if they have faced a similar situation recently? And if I am taking the right approach? Maybe am better off not taking new clients for now.

10 REPLIES 10
richardrader
Community Member

I think most freelancers will hit some rough patches. Perhaps spend more time vetting clients before taking them on and asking more specifics like the style they are looking for? I get the sense when reading your post that these clients were a bit too general in their proposals but they had pretty specific ideas of what they were looking for. Not sure if you had asked additional questions, perhaps the outcome could have been different?

I've seen the "I am too busy to do anything" type of client before and had a similar experience and also take that to be a red flag personally. 

I did, like from the second client got two line answers. Guess I will keep a note not to take on projects where I think the client's already busy. But then I have had busy clients before - and some of them turned out to be some really long term clients of mine. 

kadame
Community Member

Sorry this happened all at once! It seems to be a bit of bad luck, but getting detailed instructions from the client should help in the future. If they won't be specific, either don't accept the contract or end it. Some clients don't take freelancers seriously and think they can reject anything for a refund; others are just too busy or lazy to communicate what they want, which is a massive red flag. It can be helpful to check their past jobs, and if there are any comments about poor communication, or not responding, then just don't work for them no matter how great the job sounds. There is so much work available, something else will come along and it's not worth the risk of ending up with a bad review or not getting paid. If you're unsure about the scope of work, send them a list of questions they must answer before you start, it lets them know you're a professional and will tell you immediately if they're going to refuse to engage. 

Look for red flags like no client history, a pattern of no feedback on lots of contracts, comments about ending the contract unexpectedly, poor communication, or contracts that ended partway; also if they pay people ridiculously low amounts for years, then suddenly list a job with much higher pay. Sometimes I pass over jobs that look great for reasons like these, and I think it helps. Good luck 🙂

soubhik_
Community Member

Yeah, I have been rejecting so many jobs these days lol because the client doesn't have good feedback. However, some clients who are new can be 'ideal clients' as well. It's like if you are the first one to catch their eye, they look for business with only you here. But guess it can go the opposite way too. Will just be more careful now for the jobs I take. Will hurt my JSS score for sure, plus the time taken for the disputes. I don't know why some clients like these feel so entitled where they have minimal communication, but then just decide they are going to run away with all money after the work's done. Wish someone else does it to them too. 

Well, FYI Job No. 1 appears to be academic fraud which is absolutely against the TOS, both on the client and freelancer sides.  So there's that...

I believe academic essays for research purposes are okay on Upwork but not for students. That’s why Upwork lists those jobs? There is an entire section for academic essays.
tta192
Community Member

For fixed price projects just devide them into smaller milestones. The first one should be whatever you are willing to lose (in terms of time) in order to find out if the client is worth working with. Find some part of the project which would take you under one hour to complete; make that the first milestone and see if you get paid & if there are any issues. Also, keep the first project with a client small, maybe around ~$100. If the work set is larger you complete it under a new contract if you decide to continue with the client.

soubhik_
Community Member

The third client disputed it for $60 for one article. A SEO agency in Ireland, whose name I would not take due to ethics. Wonder how this guy would feel if others did the same to their agency. 

a_lipsey
Community Member

Soubhik C wrote:

In the last three years of working on Upwork, I have had just 2-3 disputes.

Fast forward last week, and I have had to dispute as many as three clients. Here are the details.

1. #1 client wanted an academic essay. Says just to write one page as a draft out of a total of ten pages and send. I send it and the feedback was to continue, with new additional instructions and to include citations. I had already stated in the initial message I will do the citations later as I develop the content.

Fast forward 8-10 hours, and I get a refund request. Why? Because the quality was suddenly poor now in the one page I had submitted. Even though she sent me additional instructions for the project that was important, which she didn't even send before. Absolutely no communication but requests a total refund by cancelling the project. Already had written 7-8 pages, and with zero response, had to dispute. 

Later got to know she is a college student - don't know why Upwork allows that.

2. A CBD client in the U.S. needed a 5,000 word home page for their website for SEO as well as two other articles of 3,000 words each. Stated "rewrite from other pages."  

I believe you let the client know once you think that their approach is wrong, but if a client wants things done a certain way, you do that. So, 5,000 words for a homepage made no sense, but if the client needed it for SEO, I wrote that. There were no additional instructions. I submitted files on different days, and after around 3 days, I see the client paying me $28 out of $300 (For 11,000 words), and requesting a refund for the remaining $272!

Why? The content was "bit basic". Let me tell you the topic he asked me to write on for one of those 3,000-word web pages was - "xyz product for sale" for SEO. That's all he had in the instructions, which additionally asked for rewrites from other web pages online. 

Again, had to dispute it, because he didn't even respond, and just asked for $272 in return and disappeared. No communication. 

3. Now, the third story. I don't know why clients feel entitled to make freelancers work for free. The client has an SEO agency in Ireland. Is too busy at work probably. Hence, he needs a writer who needs zero edits according to him. Unfortunately, he doesn't have time to review work but when asked, just say - 'it has errors and I am not going to pay'.

When I said I will have to dispute it, he gives me a few sentences that had both proofreading issues and personal preferences to how he wants it to be said. For example, he doesn't like this sentence, "Other businesses do the opposite: they create profile duplicates on the app."

I state that am always willing to revise, but he states "In order for you to proofread and fix issues I need to spend time to highlight all of them." And he doesn't have that time. And expects me to refund the entire amount because of that.

This particular client doesn't have a good review anyway on Upwork. Again, disputed. But will go to arbitration with this guy for sure.

Can't figure out if it's a rough patch for me right now, or Upwork's getting really bad clients. Maybe I did something right before that am not doing right now.

Just wanted to ask other freelancers if they have faced a similar situation recently? And if I am taking the right approach? Maybe am better off not taking new clients for now.

I think you need to work on your soft skills of setting a clear scope of work, communication, and conflict resolution. You have an unusually high amount of disputes, which says to me there's something you are doing wrong either in how you pick clients (it could be they are all bad clients, but you are still choosing to work with them), setting an appropriate scope of work and milestones, and communication and conflict resolution. 

Btw: probably because "duplicate profiles" is better stylistically then "profile duplicates".  

Hi Amanda,

Yes, trying to figure out what's wrong. I had a 98% JSS before this and 95% now, so am not that bad overall I feel.

"duplicate profiles" is better stylistically then "profile duplicates".  - agree, and that's what revisions are for. I asked the client if I could revise the article should he at least let me know what issues there are. Offered him to pay me only half of what's agreed. He didn't agree - and only let me know issues like this once I escalated it to dispute. He is adamant he wants a full refund because he does not have time to check the work for these issues. 

And the second client didn't even both to respond or communicate. 

Don't know what else I could have done. 

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members