cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any update on when the forced specialized profile mandate will end?

This widget could not be displayed.
11 of 41

Was just a thought I had while reading through the report. A "wow we the freelancers carry the burden (of course we would not be able to if there were no clients here) for Upwork and are still not able to simple things like update out profiles without creating a new profile.

In the report (Page 9) there is a bit of gloating of the new "portfolio search feature". The feature sounds great but seems of though it would hurt those of us who chose not to created I specialized profile (making us unable to update our portfolio).

petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
12 of 41

Darrien, I understand your frustration about the specialized profile, but you totally shot yourself in the foot with that "we make money for Upwork so we should have a say" rhetoric. It doesn't work like that. The products on the shelves in your local supermarket make money for the supermarket, they still don't get to vote on stuff...

Darrien T wrote: Q2 report says our service fees made up about 58% of revenues last quarter

Other than memberships and connects, 100% of the revenue comes from clients. It is also 100% irrelevant when it comes to the way profiles are set up.

13 of 41

Petra R wrote

Other than memberships and connects, 100% of the revenue comes from clients. It is also 100% irrelevant when it comes to the way profiles are set up.

Can you please explain how this is true? Are you saying because they bring the money to the site?

Also, this grocery store argument. I do agree it is somewhat valid. I'm not the shot caller here, I'm not even a big fish. But what I can tell you (not the mention the other arguments myself and other have presented) is that in my local grocery store I have asked them to store a particular item which has been stocked every week with a very limited amount of buyers that are not me. Why? I guess because they want me shopping with them and not the chain a mile down the road. It does not take up that much shelf space and is mutually beneficial to both parties. Upwork has a pretty stronghold on the freelancer market at the moment so they can get away with a lot of this stuff, I understand. But how hard would it be to just let people who do not want specialized profiles not have them? Would this cause any harm?

"0% say" might not have made the most sense in context. I just asked if there were any updates and made a slick(true) comment. What I really don't appreciate is the lack of transparency. No updates on this issue. No responses from Upwork in this thread. 

I'm sure if someone who does have a say, let's say someone on the board; if they were aware of the amount of freelancer here (at least in the American market) who disapprove of this practice of this tactic, I'm sure they would want to do something about it (unless there is monetary gain in specialized profiles, which there very well may be). 

I understand that Upwork can do what they want. I can take it or leave it. I simply asked if there was any update as to when the mandate will be over. 

florydev
Community Guru
Mark F Member Since: Jul 10, 2018
14 of 41

have presented) is that in my local grocery store I have asked them to store a particular item which has been stocked every week with a very limited amount of buyers that are not me. Why? I guess because they want me

But try that at Walmart.  Upwork is not your local grocery store, in this particular venue, they are Walmart.  I am not sure there is the equivalent of your local grocery store.

To extend your analogy, I don't think of myself as Upwork's customer, I am an outside distributor stocking my wares.  They have rules on where I stock them, how I stock them, and can choose not to allow me to stock them.  The best thing about Upwork compared to some of the others is I at least get to set my own sale price.  They need me but if I act up they will certainly replace me.

If they add a feature it is because they think it will help them with the customers, even if it upsets the stockers.   You know why?   Because they have millions of them.

Forcing specialized profiles would be dumb, which by the way I think was a bug and I think it was fixed or I don't understand the steps you went through to make it happen.  It would dumb, but it is their thing to do.  The only thing I can really do is choose not to use Upwork.

15 of 41

My local store is a chain store. I'm not sure what region of the country you are in, and what chains you are familiar with but it as a Safeway.

Nowhere am I make demands, I know my role here. I just think it would be smart to take into consideration the concerns and issues you "site users", "customer", or "distributors are having.

I said maybe it is helping them, simply asking when and if it will be over. I do not want to be passive and let them easily forget about the issue at hand. 

I replied to another one of your post with a screenshot of another thread, this is definitely by design.  

florydev
Community Guru
Mark F Member Since: Jul 10, 2018
16 of 41

I replied to another one of your post with a screenshot of another thread, this is definitely by design.  

Yep, I boned it.  I saw the word portfolio and though profile.  

That is dumb.

17 of 41

No problem man. It's easy to ignore if it's not something you need or are checking for. I just hope they take care of it.

mtngigi
Community Guru
Virginia F Member Since: Feb 15, 2016
18 of 41

Mary W wrote:

I don't understand "forced specialized profile mandate".  I am quite sure this is optional.  I certainly don't need a specialized profile as the work I do is already specialized.

Mary,

Currently, all new profiles have to set up a specialized profile. Established profiles are forced into specialized profiles if we want to edit/add/made any changes to our portfolios or profile overview. I am not interested in this feature and never will be. Many are not happy with this arm-twisting tactic by Upwork.

mwiggenhorn
Community Guru
Mary W Member Since: Nov 10, 2014
19 of 41

Thanks to all for the explanation.  How dumb.  I only do one thing and I do it quite well.  I guess my portfolio and profile will continue to age, much like myself.

mtngigi
Community Guru
Virginia F Member Since: Feb 15, 2016
20 of 41

Mary W wrote:

Thanks to all for the explanation.  How dumb.  I only do one thing and I do it quite well.  I guess my portfolio and profile will continue to age, much like myself.

I only do one thing and do it well, too. So we'll both just age along with our profiles, until we're ready to walk off into the sunset. Yes, everything thing they've done this year falls under the dumb umbrella.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS