cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any update on when the forced specialized profile mandate will end?

This widget could not be displayed.
lysis10
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
21 of 41

Virginia F wrote:

Mary W wrote:

I don't understand "forced specialized profile mandate".  I am quite sure this is optional.  I certainly don't need a specialized profile as the work I do is already specialized.

Mary,

Currently, all new profiles have to set up a specialized profile. Established profiles are forced into specialized profiles if we want to edit/add/made any changes to our portfolios or profile overview. I am not interested in this feature and never will be. Many are not happy with this arm-twisting tactic by Upwork.

hahahahahaha Ima sit on my old school profile and call it classic Upwork profile.

I really aint changing anything until they fix the bugs. And because I'm lazy. Mainly because I'm lazy.

mtngigi
Community Guru
Virginia F Member Since: Feb 15, 2016
22 of 41

Jennifer M wrote:

Virginia F wrote:

Mary W wrote:

I don't understand "forced specialized profile mandate".  I am quite sure this is optional.  I certainly don't need a specialized profile as the work I do is already specialized.

Mary,

Currently, all new profiles have to set up a specialized profile. Established profiles are forced into specialized profiles if we want to edit/add/made any changes to our portfolios or profile overview. I am not interested in this feature and never will be. Many are not happy with this arm-twisting tactic by Upwork.

hahahahahaha Ima sit on my old school profile and call it classic Upwork profile.

I really aint changing anything until they fix the bugs. And because I'm lazy. Mainly because I'm lazy.

Haha indeed. But I bet if you tried to add the word "classic" (great idea, by the way), you'd get sucked in and would have to create a specialized program.

a_lipsey
Community Guru
Amanda L Member Since: Jan 23, 2018
23 of 41

Jennifer M wrote:

You're my spirit animal. UpWork Classic ftw. 

florydev
Community Guru
Mark F Member Since: Jul 10, 2018
24 of 41

Jennifer M wrote:

Virginia F wrote:

Mary W wrote:

Mary,

Totally a bug not a feature I am guessing as well.  I just edited mine and it did not force me to make a specialized profile.

I am still on Upwork classic as well though.

richard_wein
Community Guru
Richard W Member Since: Jun 22, 2017
25 of 41

Virginia F wrote:

Mary W wrote:

Mary,

Currently, all new profiles have to set up a specialized profile. Established profiles are forced into specialized profiles if we want to edit/add/made any changes to our portfolios or profile overview.

You had me worried for a moment, but fortunately this doesn't (yet?) affect profile overviews. I just edited mine to check.

I've hardly changed my portfolio since I joined Upwork, but I was planning to overhaul it. At least now I have an excuse not to bother!

florydev
Community Guru
26 of 41

Virginia F wrote:

Mary W wrote:

Mary,

Maybe I don't understand the steps to reproduce but I just edited and saved my profile and I have was not forced to create a specialized profile.  If that is everyone else's experience then it was a bug not a feature and it appears that it was fixed.

27 of 41

florydev
Community Guru
28 of 41

Ah, lol, that PORTFOLIO.  My bad, I don't have a thing in mine because souce code is boring and I don't want to give anyone the impression I am a web designer.

dzadza
Community Guru
Sanja D Member Since: Dec 18, 2013
29 of 41
for editing profile it's not mandatory. however, if you want to add items to portfolio - you need to create a specialized profile. being a graphic designer who specializes in print design and branding, it was very annoying to find out that I can't create a "print design specialized profile" - that category doesn't exist! and I can't update my current portfolio.
bevcam
Community Leader
Bev C Member Since: Jan 2, 2018
30 of 41

Preston H wrote:

re: "...yet we have a 0% say in what features are rolled out."

You are a site user.

Which websites and companies do you have a say in when it comes to which features and products are rolled out?

Preston H wrote:

re: "...yet we have a 0% say in what features are rolled out."

You are a site user.

Which websites and companies do you have a say in when it comes to which features and products are rolled out?

Clearly, you know nothing about marketing Practices. The OP has a valid point, in particular, about the specialized profiles and the irritating banner telling FL to create one. I also don't want nor need one, but can't amend my profile without opting in.

All successful websites and companies carefully monitor their customer/client base's response to new features and products that are rolled out. It's called customer/client experience and I'm sure Upwork is savvy enough to understand that. 

As a site user, you are an Upwork client. Once again, Upwork is not a god or a sacred deity that's beyond reproach and I'm sure as a business, those who make decisions know that. Likewise, freelancers aren't doormats. They contribute to Upwork's success so the freelancer experience does matter just as the client experience does. So I'm quite sure Upwork is and should be, willing to hear.

They might not jump to attention, but they'd be foolish to ignore mandatory specialized profiles if it doesn't suit all freelancers.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS