🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Any way to punish the bad clients?
Page options
prosanta96
Community Member

Any way to punish the bad clients?

The story began with a Wix project today. I worked for him but not get the money! My attached screenshot will tell you everything. He hired me for a membership area. After completed that he says the main part he needs is the subscription area. I don't say anything and agreed for that work too. Just because I am a freelancer and he is my respectful client. Suddenly he comes up with a message that he don't like the login bar style and he is afraid!

My point is here. As a freelancer, we get afraid all the time and do more than agreed for. If the client leave a bad feedback that affects our profile. If a client reports a freelancer Upwork hold freelancer account.

MY question is:

1. Do you have any rules for the clients? or everything is for a poor freelancer? though he is TOP RATED or so.
  2. Is there any way we can report them?
  3. Do Upwork holds clients account?
  4. Do Upwork check client and freelancer conversation ever with the correct judgment?
  5. Where is freelancer respect?
  6. How can we work for a Fairless way here in Upwork?

I am so sorry but I am working here when it was oDesk from 2012 and I am a TOP RATED freelancer!

Thank you so much

Prosanta
A poor freelancer!

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Prosanta D wrote:

Sanja D
At last, someone understands my feelings. 
But unfortunately, only YES is not the answer. Can you explain a little bit?

Sanja wrote: 

MY question is:

1. Do you have any rules for the clients? - yes Clients have to follow Upwork's terms of service. They may not, for example, ask for free work. You could try reading Upwork's terms of service. 
  2. Is there any way we can report them? - yes You can write about your problem here in the forum (without mentioning names) or you contact support or you can PM one of the moderators here and ask them to check your client. You can also go to the original job offer and report them from the drop-down menu that says "Flag as inappropriate" where you can tick one of the appropriate boxes and give your reasons. 
  3. Do Upwork holds clients account? - yes Upwork will put a client's account on hold (and yours while they are doing it) to check a client's payment credentials or if the client has more than one account, for example. 
  4. Do Upwork check client and freelancer conversation ever with the correct judgment? - yes - that is an answer.  

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
lysis10
Community Member

You might want to check again. You're not top rated. Looks like you probably have a hold for doing a no-no. If you were top rated you could use the perk.

95% is not TOP-RATED?
Any way why everyone should be top rated to work here?

Anyone if join new is born in top-rated?

I think you didn't read it carefully.  You have to understand what you are typing before submit it ok!

You are not top rated, you do not have the badge, you should check the facts before speaking.

To be top rated you have to have over 90% JSS for 13 weeks straight, not just have the over 90% JSS.

And about the client I thought you were exaggerating to begin with, this last comment is not helping you.

Prosanta D wrote:

95% is not TOP-RATED?
Any way why everyone should be top rated to work here?

Anyone if join new is born in top-rated?

I think you didn't read it carefully.  You have to understand what you are typing before submit it ok!

lol Copied for posterity. How cute and precious.

When someone earns over $500K he/she could speak anything like that!

dzadza
Community Member

Prosanta D wrote:

MY question is:

1. Do you have any rules for the clients? - yes
  2. Is there any way we can report them? - yes
  3. Do Upwork holds clients account? - yes
  4. Do Upwork check client and freelancer conversation ever with the correct judgment? - yes

Sanja D

Prosanta D wrote:

Sanja D

Sanja wrote: 

MY question is:

1. Do you have any rules for the clients? - yes Clients have to follow Upwork's terms of service. They may not, for example, ask for free work. You could try reading Upwork's terms of service. 
  2. Is there any way we can report them? - yes You can write about your problem here in the forum (without mentioning names) or you contact support or you can PM one of the moderators here and ask them to check your client. You can also go to the original job offer and report them from the drop-down menu that says "Flag as inappropriate" where you can tick one of the appropriate boxes and give your reasons. 
  3. Do Upwork holds clients account? - yes Upwork will put a client's account on hold (and yours while they are doing it) to check a client's payment credentials or if the client has more than one account, for example. 
  4. Do Upwork check client and freelancer conversation ever with the correct judgment? - yes - that is an answer.  

@ Nichola - thanks for elaborating 😉

Prosanta D wrote:

Sanja D

I'm sorry, but yes is the only answer I can give you. I'm not an UW employee, so it's not my job to explain the mechanisms they use. Those are covered in UW documentation, TOS and other areas of the help section. If you check the client forum, there are quite a few topics where clients are complaining about freelancers (some complaints are justified, some are not) - so from their perspective, UW is freelancer-centered. From your perspective - it is client-centered. The way I see it - I'm responsible for my work, I choose where to apply, and how to handle my clients. No one can do that for me.

abinadab-agbo
Community Member

Prosanta,

It is very important you understand that Upwork is a licensed Escrow company.

Having asked clients to waive their right to external disputes or else they would be permabanned, they are under obligation to have a robust, dispute resolution mechanism internally that is as fair as is can get, to replace the external one which was waived.

Otherwise the disgruntled clients will resort to external disputes at a higher frequency than healthy, which will be very toxic for the entire platform.

To make the platform fair for both clients and freelancers, it is also very important freelancers remember what I shall hereinafter refer to as the "nuclear button".

This is, the ability to leave profile-destroying feedback on a client's profile, if and only if such feedback is completely and thoroughly deserved by the client.

If you encounter bad clients on the platform every now and then, I recommend you use the "nuclear button" once every two or three years.

It is very important you don't abuse that button as misuse or abuse thereof will ruin your future prospects on Upwork.

Use it only for the clients for whom you have indeed honestly completed their projects to a tee, but are clearly trying to have their cake and eat it (read: avoid paying you; asking for a fraudulent refund).

It may not feel like much, but you would have made it a notch more difficult for the client to find top talent on the platform.

The above measures suffice as deterrent for bad clients and to make the marketplace a fairer one.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members