🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Anyone buy connects yet?
Page options
mattbrown29
Community Member

Anyone buy connects yet?

I haven’t needed to buy connects yet. I have returning clients that have kept me busy. Has anyone else experienced this? I’m avoiding buying connects as much and as long as possible.
14 REPLIES 14
65dab6ce
Community Member

Congrats, Matt! Having returning clients is the dream.

I've had returning clients, too but I'm also on the Plus plan so I have connects sitting there if I do need them.

feed_my_eyes
Community Member

Matt B wrote:
I haven’t needed to buy connects yet. I have returning clients that have kept me busy. Has anyone else experienced this? I’m avoiding buying connects as much and as long as possible.

LOL! This is the first thread that I've seen in which somebody is NOT complaining about buying connects. You must be new to the forum. 😄

I've not had to buy any yet, and I don't think I will have to for some time. I still have 26 left over from the last free batch we were given. 

My main client is likely to keep me busy for at least another year and I have side-projects on the go that should hopefully reduce my reliance on Upwork by the time I do need to buy some. That could all change overnight though, as is the nature of freelancing. 

arslanbwp1
Community Member

Well, You are lucky. I am expecting that when my clients will approach me again. 

vsalinitro
Community Member

Matt B wrote:

I usually spend $12 every month, I could be more considerate in spending my connects but I'm definitely making more money than I spend.

I haven't made any proposals in the last 3 months, and still have the 120 connects I started the new system with (60 rolled over and 60 TR bonus).  My last new client offered me the job straight out without a proposal!

Still, the month before that I made about 30 proposals without success, so I'm not looking forward to the time when I need to go client-hunting again.

ladyelexia
Community Member

I bought some once, just because I always like to keep some on hand for projects that interest me. I have not had the need to buy more since then as I have plenty of ongoing work. I can see how buying connects can bothersome, but it is a business expense just like paying an internet bill or getting a new laptop.

tropicany
Community Member

I've been buying 10 connects once or twice a week but it seems most of my jobs these days are either from returning clients or invites.

How do you get invites? 

How do you get invites without proposal? 

researchediting
Community Member

I bought a batch of 80 when I ran out in the second week of September, and just cashed in a free promo Plus membership to replenish. Projecting from those two months, it might be worth keeping the Plus membership, but I'll have to see how this month's bidding goes. A lot of the jobs I'm interested in require 6 connects.

During the 25-day period from the purchase to claiming the promo, I had 18 connects returned by Upwork.

dsmgdesign
Community Member

I just bought my first batch of 60 connects last week actually for only $9 bucks. It's more of a nuisance fee than anything.  It should last me a few months, at least. Like you, I also have returning clients who keep me pretty busy. Plus I'm not a full-time Upwork freelancer. I retain contract work through other channels. 

gstaines
Community Member

Hi: I've not purchased any connects yet. I have a problem paying for something that I may or may not get (a client). Even major contractors and businesses that submit RFPs for potential million dollar projects do not pay for the privilege of submitting a proposal. I have been an oDesk and Upwork freelancer for years and truly enjoy the work. 20% of a job is a bit much to swallow, but paying to be able to submit a proposal? I think this is where I draw the line. Unfortunately, this seems more of a scam business strategy. 

favourchinaza
Community Member

You are lucky then. I am still building my clientele. 

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths