cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone else get irritated when you see these types of jobs?

mikemckinney17
Ace Contributor
Michael M Member Since: Sep 16, 2015
1 of 24

I keep seeing these types of job listings,

"I have a large job that needs to be done by the best freelancer available, it pays well...yada yada...

But FIRST!!!

I need a sample, I'll send you 1 video to edit(In my case, usually), and we'll take that to see if we like how well you do."

...This seems like flawed logic to me....I think someone could get all the work done with just the interviews if they really wanted to...

blastofflabs
Community Guru
Steve B Member Since: Jul 1, 2015
2 of 24

Yes Michael there are a lot of different annoyances in job ads, that is one good example of a clearly exploitive listing. Many of them almost cry out for a sarcastic response, like the "REALLY?!" segment on SNL News had.

It would be nice if Upwork were to "socialize" listings, aka provide a mechanism for freelancers to post public questions and comments about the jobs below each listing -- as some other top freelancing sites do. It would serve to balance things out.

Among other benefits, this would allow the community to push back a little on some of the more exploitive techniques like the one you mentioned.  Questions could also be asked which would help to clarify the task for everyone.

Also we would be able to throw that well-deserved rotten egg on occasion:)

I've seen it mentioned that a good use for extra credits at the end of the month, is to send sarcastic applications to some of these posts. I won't mention any names but Jennifer has said she does that:)  (Go Jennifer!!)

mikemckinney17
Ace Contributor
3 of 24

Thanks for the reply, that is good to know, and I think I will do that, I've just assumed I could get in trouble for it. 😛

jmeyn
Community Guru
Joachim M Member Since: Mar 23, 2015
4 of 24

@Steve B wrote:

Yes Michael there are a lot of different annoyances in job ads, that is one good example of a clearly exploitive listing. Many of them almost cry out for a sarcastic response, like the "REALLY?!" segment on SNL News had.

It would be nice if Upwork were to "socialize" listings, aka provide a mechanism for freelancers to post public questions and comments about the jobs below each listing -- as some other top freelancing sites do. It would serve to balance things out.

Among other benefits, this would allow the community to push back a little on some of the more exploitive techniques like the one you mentioned.  Questions could also be asked which would help to clarify the task for everyone.

Also we would be able to throw that well-deserved rotten egg on occasion:)

I've seen it mentioned that a good use for extra credits at the end of the month, is to send sarcastic applications to some of these posts. I won't mention any names but Jennifer has said she does that:)  (Go Jennifer!!)

Months ago somebody on Elance suggested this text as a reply to such jobs if you have the connects to spare:

We will be happy to conduct a test to make sure we're the right fit for your project. Just award us the project, pay us a small percentage of the final fee (I think 25% should cover it) and if we're happy with the sample of money that you've sent over, then we'll be happy to consider working on your project. I appreciate it's a lot of money for no work, but it will look good on your feedback, give you great experience of paying people and there may be lots of opportunities for you to pay us more money, for little or no amounts of work, in the future.

mikemckinney17
Ace Contributor
5 of 24

I might just use that, thanks!

stencil_media
Community Guru
Scott E Member Since: Jul 26, 2015
6 of 24

@Joachim M wrote:
Months ago somebody on Elance suggested this text as a reply to such jobs if you have the connects to spare:

We will be happy to conduct a test to make sure we're the right fit for your project. Just award us the project, pay us a small percentage of the final fee (I think 25% should cover it) and if we're happy with the sample of money that you've sent over, then we'll be happy to consider working on your project. I appreciate it's a lot of money for no work, but it will look good on your feedback, give you great experience of paying people and there may be lots of opportunities for you to pay us more money, for little or no amounts of work, in the future.

That was me!

"Welcome, humans. I'm ready for you!"
- Box, Logan's Run (1976)
jmeyn
Community Guru
7 of 24

@Scott E wrote:

@Joachim M wrote:

That was me!

In this case take credit for it. I used it several times in a more personalised form. Love it 🙂 

jmeyn
Community Guru
8 of 24

@Michael M wrote:

I keep seeing these types of job listings,

"I have a large job that needs to be done by the best freelancer available, it pays well...yada yada...

But FIRST!!!

I need a sample, I'll send you 1 video to edit(In my case, usually), and we'll take that to see if we like how well you do."

...This seems like flawed logic to me....I think someone could get all the work done with just the interviews if they really wanted to...

Flag them as asking for free work. With a bit of luck they will be removed. 

mikemckinney17
Ace Contributor
9 of 24

Will do.

boshoffirene
Community Guru
Irene B Member Since: Feb 17, 2015
10 of 24

Or those asking for updated resume's with contact details.....No.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS