🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Anyone else getting invited to jobs they're i...
Page options
bmhumphreys
Community Member

Anyone else getting invited to jobs they're in no way qualified for? How do you handle it?

I got an invitation to apply to a full-time web-designer job the other day, and rather than just toss it in the trash ('cause I'm a writer, not a web designer), I decided to respond, because the description of the project seemed like they would probably be needing writers anyway, and I thought I'd at least throw my hat in the ring and say, "Hey, if you're looking for writers, hit me up."  I mean it's basically a free contact without using connects, so why waste it, right?  

So I answered the obviously silly questions (for me) like "How many years of web-design experience do you have?" with equally ridiculous answers, like "I'm not a web designer.  I'm a writer, and again, I think you've sent me this invitation in error, so I'm sorry if you're wasting time by reading this..." etc. 

I didn't really expect much of it.  I thought of it kind of like when an offsides penalty gets called after the snap in a football game and the quarterback bombs it because it's basically a free play - and you never know, you could end up with a PI call and big huge money-making yardage.

Then today I got a request to chat with this client via e-mail (which he requested) and said "I am interested in hiring you."  Now, I've landed jobs by being cheeky in my responses to clients before, so I figured my plan might have worked,  but when I get the e-mail he is still talking about wanting me for a full-time web-design job.

His profile on UW seems solid, a lot of hires, nearly 5 stars out of 44 reviews and over 50k spent.  Still, something seems fishy to me.  I e-mailed back that I'm not interested in a full-time web-design job; we'll see what happens, but I wanted to post the situation here to see if anyone has any wise words for me on this? 

Do you get offered work outside your field much?  If so, how do you usually respond?

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Petra R wrote:

Brandon H wrote:

Do you get offered work outside your field much?  If so, how do you usually respond?

Sure, I just click the "Decine" button.

Decline, move on.

I'm with Petra on this one. No point in wasting more time than necessary. The stats algorithm doesn't care how you reply, only that you reply at all.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
petra_r
Community Member

Brandon H wrote:

Decline, move on.

Petra R wrote:

Brandon H wrote:

Decline, move on.

I'm with Petra on this one. No point in wasting more time than necessary. The stats algorithm doesn't care how you reply, only that you reply at all.

Thanks, Petra and Michael.  I really appreciate that you guys are so active and patient with the relative noobs on this forum and site in general.  

I do the same thing with decline. What I don't understand is why I am constantly getting invitations for jobs I am not qualified for and there is nothing on my profile indicating that I would be qualified for them.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths