Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Members
Featured Contributor

Anyone getting annoyed by this: I'd like to personally invite you to apply to my job...

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Power Member
7 Posts

Anyone getting annoyed by this: I'd like to personally invite you to apply to my job...

[ Edited ]
It seems there is some new trend of employers sending out spam interview requests with the message: "Hello! I'd like to personally invite you to apply to my job. Please review the job post and apply if you're available." Am I the only one who thinks this is the beginning of a bad trend on oDesk? I keep getting spammed for jobs that are way out of my skill range and I get the least % of replies from clients who job search this way as well, like they are spamming so many people they don't even have time to look through all the applications.
Power Member
55 Posts

I've also been receiving

[ Edited ]
I've also been receiving these. I think it's incredibly rude to request that contractors go in search of a generic job post without, at the very least, a scan through their profile. What happened to good old fashioned etiquette? I did go and look at one of the posts I was directed toward and it had absolutely no information other than that a feature was needed and that potential contractors should offer ideas about what the topic should be. Huh? I have a collection of articles I've not yet submitted but I wasn't about to give them all the angles I'd worked so hard on without a narrowed down idea of what was required. I gave a polite response requesting a little more information about their target audience and the publication their feature was intended for so that I could tell them if I was a good fit for the task. I have not received a response--I think it's been two weeks now. I suspect most of these cut and paste requests will go in a similar way.
Power Member
14 Posts

With the Greatest Respect Kirsten ...

[ Edited ]
You have had 3 jobs. I have had 241. I would not presume to throw my toys around the way you do. I like the approach you mention and have secured several jobs that have been fully paid for at my full rate that way. What is your point please? Must we all dance to your tune? And employers and Odesk too? Now let me guess. Which barb will you throw first? My age or your intellectual superiority? Richard
Power Member
55 Posts

Sheesh, Richard. What got

[ Edited ]
Sheesh, Richard. What got your goat? Please don't jump to assumptions about people. There is an entire world outside oDesk and I have been freelancing and publishing for more than a decade. I have no wish to throw either age or intellect at you. I don't have a problem with you. What I would like is to be able to express my opinions without nasty responses that jump to unsubstantiated conclusions.
Power Member
7 Posts

Looks like the scrooge

[ Edited ]
[quote=Richard Farrell]You have had 3 jobs. I have had 241. I would not presume to throw my toys around the way you do. I like the approach you mention and have secured several jobs that have been fully paid for at my full rate that way. What is your point please? Must we all dance to your tune? And employers and Odesk too? Now let me guess. Which barb will you throw first? My age or your intellectual superiority? Richard[/quote] Just because you are miserable, doesn't mean you need to spread it to everyone else. I think you should take some advice from Kirsten and explore the world outside of oDesk lol
Community Guru
262 Posts

client-friendly : )

[ Edited ]
[quote=Lucas Shepherd] like they are spamming so many people they don't even have time to look through all the applications.[/quote] I received one that had 294 applicants, all of them invited by the client... Talk about being selective.
/// Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it's the courage to continue that counts.
Community Guru
217 Posts

On a plus side..

[ Edited ]
at least, they are polite enough to say 'Please..' :smileyhappy: I have received quite a few of these that made me think if these clients work for the same team or maybe, they have the same person sending out this message for them.
Power Member
132 Posts

Spamming is a violation. I

[ Edited ]
Spamming is a violation. I hope oDesk seriously crackdowns on such clients. If contractors are penalized for making cover letters not unique to the posted job, why can't clients be suspended or banned for sending invitations not in accordance to the contractor's profile?
Community Guru
351 Posts

*cracks down sorry, it was an

[ Edited ]
*cracks down sorry, it was an eyesore, i just had to. anyway, i believe the OP isn't aware that it's a "new default message for invitations", which is exactly what Bojana noticed a week ago. maybe someone should have pointed him out to that thread. i know, it's spammy, but it's oDesk's fault for bringing it in.
"If you don't like something, change it. If you can't change it, change your attitude. Don't complain." - Maya Angelou
Try harder, or care less.
Power Member
7 Posts

That makes sense

[ Edited ]
That makes sense why it started happening all of a sudden, thanks for the link and info!