Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone hear of or deal with **edited for Community Guidelines**

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Renée G Member Since: Jul 22, 2018
1 of 9

Has anyone heard of or worked with **edited for Community Guidelines**? I just received my first hit on Upwork, and I want to make sure this is legitimate. See attachment of job description screenshot.

He pointed me to his admittedly sparse website that only goes to a contact form when clicked. I told him that I'd get back with him tomorrow, but I want to be sure.

I could find no reviews (other than the one on Upwork) and no other social media presense. My spidy senses are tingling but not sure if it's warranted.

Thanks for any support you can provide,

Renee

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
2 of 9

I just googled the address listed on his web site, and it's for the UPS Store. Fishy.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Michael S Member Since: Aug 29, 2017
3 of 9

Having a UPS Store address doesn't necessarily mean anything, as most of them offer PO boxes. That's a rather common thing for someone running a business out of their home, but they don't want their home address listed (a smart move, IMO). Another reason people would have one is to have a secure, monitored location to receive mail and packages (being in an IT or developer field can sometimes mean getting expensive packages that you don't want left on your doorstep for anyone to walk off with).

It costs nothing but time to hear the potential client out and see what he wants you to do. Remember that interviews are not just about an employer/client seeing if you're right for them. It's also about seeing if they're right for you.

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
4 of 9

Thank you for the UPS Store description. That was immensely helpful. I use my home address, so now I wonder if I should get a PO Box too! LOL

I already have my list of questions for him. Praying it's legitimate, because it's a perfect job for me.

Many regards,

Renee

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
5 of 9

Shows that someone listed as **edited for Community Guidelines** worked 96 hours for him, gave him 5 stars, and said he was great to work with.

Highlighted
Avery O Moderator Member Since: Nov 23, 2015
6 of 9

Hi Renee, 

I had to edit your posts because it violates the Upwork Community Guidelines. Please be mindful of the guidelines when posting in the Community. 

I will check on the client you have noted on your post, and will get back to you should I have more information. 

-Avery
Untitled
Highlighted
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
7 of 9

Renee...

You looked at the client's Upwork history and saw they are a good client.

That is smart.

You googled the client, which led you to some incorrect assumptions.

Not such a good idea. I have made a lot of money on Upwork by not googling clients. Ever. I don't do that.

Many of my clients have zero web presence or social media presence. That usually means they will be a good client. They have money. That is what matters.

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
8 of 9

I really appreciate your insight Preston. Once again you have helped me out here in the forums, and I thank you.

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
9 of 9

Thank you, missed that point.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS