🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Glitch in overview text
Page options
browersr
Community Member

Apostrophe Not Rendering Properly in Profile

For some reason apostrophies (contractions, possessives, etc. ) are no longer rendering properly when viewing a profile. It looks to be a web escaping issue. For example  client's  becomes client's

I have checked this on Chrome (which I normally use) as well as Edge and both produce the same incorrect results.

Obviously this looks bad, so hopefully someone can investigate and resolve ASAP.

Screen capture from my profile: 

Capture.JPG

61 REPLIES 61
JoanneP

Hi Scott,

I have escalated your concern to the team for investigation, and one of our agents will also reach out to you via a support ticket. 

~ Joanne
Upwork
browersr
Community Member

Joanne Marie P wrote:

Hi Scott,

I have escalated your concern to the team for investigation, and one of our agents will also reach out to you via a support ticket. 

Thanks, Joanne. They have indicated they are looking into it. 

staylorphoto
Community Member

Hello,

I recently updated my profile text. When I went to check out the public view of my profile, all contractions had been butchered. Example:

"I'm experienced in..." displayed as

"I$#($*m experienced in..."

Thoughts? Has anyone else had this issue? 

I've since edited the text of my profile to avoid use of contractions, but this is pretty embarassing.

I have also escalated this to our team, Stephen. One of our team members will also reach out and assist you directly via ticket. Thank you. 

~ Joanne
Upwork
qazidaud
Community Member

Hello,
I updated profile overview and after saving, all the '&' characters turn into "  &   ". I have tried editing it and deleting those extra characters that appear out of no where but after saving it they appear again.
I think it is some sort of a glitch if any one can help me in fixing it that would be great!

Hi Qazi,

Thanks for reporting this to us. I've also escalated your concern to our team, and one of our agents will reach out and assist you directly. 

~ Joanne
Upwork

Hi, I'm also having this problem on my profile. If you could put me in touch with a service representative, that would be fantastic. Thank you. 

Hi Thomas,

Could you please clear your cache and cookies or log in with another browser to check if you`re still experiencing the same issue? Let us know if the issue persists.

~ Bojan
Upwork
browersr
Community Member

Bojan S wrote:

Hi Thomas,

Could you please clear your cache and cookies or log in with another browser to check if you`re still experiencing the same issue? Let us know if the issue persists.

Bojan, I know you are speaking to Thomas but I can tell you that the problems persists across browsers as written in my OP. I've left mine so that UW could troubleshoot but it has been days with no movement. I am going to have to re-write that area shortly if this doesn't get resolved. This is not a cache and cookies problem.

Incidentally, I can see the issue when viewing Thomas' profile as well. 

qazidaud
Community Member

Hello Bojan,
I did clear all the cookies and also tried editing overview in chrome incognito mode problem persists.
Also tried editing from mobile browser but the problem stays.

wescowley
Community Member

This is happening even on Upwork generated text but only in the main panel, not the sidebar. Please fix it. This is a bit embarrassing. 

chrome_ynMbbmSyFK.png

gkhpqd
Community Member

When I try to save changes in my profile overview, every apostrophe in the text block is changed to a string of symbols and numbers. For example: "I'm" is changed to "I'm"

Am I doing something wrong? Thank you in advance!

Hi Grace,

One of our team members will reach out to you directly via a support ticket to assist you further. You can access your tickets on this page.

~ Nikola
Upwork

Nikola S wrote:

Hi Grace,

One of our team members will reach out to you directly via a support ticket to assist you further. You can access your tickets on this page.

Nikola, no one seems to have told you that this is a widespread system error. Perhaps you need to update your script for this problem.

8aa82664
Community Member

Hi, All apostrophes in my profile have been replaced with ' I see this seems to something many people are experiencing. Could you please help?

Thanks!

versailles
Community Member

So Upwork, are you guys still trying to hire a freelancer to help you fix this bug or are you just happy with & being displayed instead of &s?

Which one is it? It's been few days now.

(Please leave me alone with your caches and your cookies and whatnot.)

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless

This problem is especially aggravating for Upwork users whose names consist entirely of apostrophes, ampersands and semicolons.

I edited my profile to eliminate all badly rendered bits.

VERY irritating to have to do so though

rahulsharma108
Community Member

Hi, there.

I hope everyone who is reading this is doing well. I need a help regarding my profile overview. The first paragraph of my profile overview is this -:

'Are you looking for an all-round social media manager, who can manage social media platforms for you, create visual content (dynamic & static) for them, make a working strategy for the growth of your brand, generate leads and create optimal sales funnels ?'

Now you can see this strange word 'amp;'  just after 'dynamic &'.  This word is inside my profile overview for more than 5-6 times. I have tried editing my entire overview many times but it is not getting removed. Please help me with this. Thanks, in advance,

Regards,

Rahul Sharma.

Hi Rahul,

~ Nikola
Upwork

Thank you very much for reaching out to me.

5c316400
Community Member

I'm having the same problem where the apostrophes all change to &#039. Could I get some help fixing this?

Hi Melissa,

I'm sorry to hear you're experiencing this issue. We'll have one of our agents reach out to you via a support ticket to further assist you.

Thank you.

~ Luiggi
Upwork

Luiggi R wrote:

We'll have one of our agents reach out to you via a support ticket to further assist you.

We don't want one of your agents to do anything. We want one of you devs to permanently fix this bug!

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless

Hi All, 

We understand that it's important for freelancers that their profiles are displaying properly. This issue has already been prioritized by our engineers and they will be fixing it as soon as possible. Once it's fixed, we'll be updating this thread and support tickets associated with this issue.

Rene and Michael, I understand that some users prefer not to have support tickets created for them when they report bugs. However, it doesn't only help us keep track of and provide an update for all the reports (even for users who may not frequent the Community, subscribe and check on the thread) but also helps us with prioritizing and escalating issues internally. Thanks.

~ Valeria
Upwork

Valeria K wrote:

Hi All, 

We understand that it's important for freelancers that their profiles are displaying properly. This issue has already been prioritized by our engineers and they will be fixing it as soon as possible. Once it's fixed, we'll be updating this thread and support tickets associated with this issue.

Rene and Michael, I understand that some users prefer not to have support tickets created for them when they report bugs. However, it doesn't only help us keep track of and provide an update for all the reports (even for users who may not frequent the Community, subscribe and check on the thread) but also helps us with prioritizing and escalating issues internally. Thanks.

That is a defective—indeed, rather silly—process. It would not be surprising for it to continue to be criticized as such.

Hi! I'm very new to Upwork and just recently I noted that whenever I use the ' character in my profile overview, it gets changed to "'", no matter how many times I change it. I tried using the Upwork bot to figure out what I can do but it didn't help me at all. I'm not sure if this is the right location to post this, so if I'm mistaken, please let me know!

Thanks in advance!!

Hmmm...it seems Upwork has a profile editor issue.  Here I am trying to put my best foot forward in front of high paying clients and apostrophes (') come out as raw HTML code (&#39).  What's UP???

See orange and yellow highlights below in my profile.

Screen Shot 2020-09-22 at 9.11.58 AM.png

Upwork keeps changing my Overview on my profile by adding random symbols to it everytime i refresh the page, eve after editing and correcting it. I dont understand and it's driving clients away from working with me. Please have this issue solved asap,

Hi Arishmah,

We apologize for the inconvenience this caused you. This is a known issue and our engineers are looking into it. 

Thank you for your patience. 

~ Bojan
Upwork

This keep happening to me too! Is this the same for all profiles? It's very frustrating!

I think we should get free connects for this issue. I've looked through and it is only happening to some profiles.

We are losing out on work to other people, because our profiles look unprofessional/ are difficult to read. I've had far less invites to interview since this issue started. Please fix this issue urgently.

Ellen P wrote:

I think we should get free connects for this issue. I've looked through and it is only happening to some profiles.

We are losing out on work to other people, because our profiles look unprofessional/ are difficult to read. I've had far less invites to interview since this issue started. Please fix this issue urgently.

And they should suspend freelancers that include a link to their website in their profile.

Ellen P wrote:

Ellen, you can't have your website linked in your profile it will get you banned. 

I didn't realise that thanks! I've deleted it now. Is that why I was getting the error text?

I'm getting these characters in my profile - '. I'm confused as to what's going. They keep coming up even after I edit them out. What's up?

Oscar, that’s because you have apostrophes in your profile. You can try replacing it by copy pasting a right single quote character from a word processor.

Noice!

Hi Oscar,

This is a known issue and our engineers are already working to resolve this. Let us know if you need further assistance with anything.

Thank you.

~ Aleksandar
Upwork
Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members