🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Application violates "Terms of Services" of c...
Page options
andresaboia
Community Member

Application violates "Terms of Services" of consumed service

Hi

I am developing a web app project. It is a dashboard for trading a game (Roblox) coin for Bitcoin.

After receiving a small part of the payment, and being very close to finishing it, I have noticed that the "users" of the app I'm building, violates the Terms of Services (ToS) of Roblox by using the Roblox API in a way that is against Roblox ToS.

For this reason, I would prefer not to continue the work on this project. Although I'm not the one violating the ToS, the "users" of the platform are. Is there anything I can do about this, like finish the contract? what would be the implications of this?

2 REPLIES 2
prestonhunter
Community Member

re: "Is there anything I can do about this, like finish the contract?"

As a freelancer, you are able to stop working on a contract at any time.

For any reason.

If you want to stop working on this contract, then do so.

If you want to continue working on it, then do so.

re: "what would be the implications of this?"

There are no automatic implications. Upwork's software does not have a feature that automatically modifies how the system works based on whether or not a freelancer works on a system which may ultimately be used by users who violate Roblox ToS.

In theory, if you stop working on the project, the client's opinion of you could be lowered and the client's feedback would reflect that. But maybe you can end things amicably in a way that leaves the client able to continue to achieve her goals, working with other team members.

The thing you need to keep in mind is that nobody who works for Upwork knows anything about Roblox ToS. You shouldn't contact Upwork Customer Support about this. You're talking about the possibility or likelihood of users of a system you're working on violating an unfamiliar system's ToS, all associated with a game they've never heard of. You're getting into some nuanced matters that are not something they are going to want to deal with. You should decide what you want to do, and do it. Work with the client as much as possible. Telling the client exactly how you feel IS an option. However, it is not required that you do so.

lysis10
Community Member

Andre d wrote:

Hi

I am developing a web app project. It is a dashboard for trading a game (Roblox) coin for Bitcoin.

After receiving a small part of the payment, and being very close to finishing it, I have noticed that the "users" of the app I'm building, violates the Terms of Services (ToS) of Roblox by using the Roblox API in a way that is against Roblox ToS.

For this reason, I would prefer not to continue the work on this project. Although I'm not the one violating the ToS, the "users" of the platform are. Is there anything I can do about this, like finish the contract? what would be the implications of this?

How did you suddenly realize it's against ToS?

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members