Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Applications -- New Trend?

Highlighted
Community Guru
Ronald T Member Since: Sep 14, 2009
1 of 17

I have seen members' posts where they mentioned that as a result of the new Connects feature they are seeing fewer applicants. For me that is advantageous.

I have been getting more invitations since the introduction of the new Connects feature, and at first I too was seeing less applicants. Lately invitations have been arriving for jobs with 50 to 100 or even more applicants -- the majority of which are from client invitations. Is this a new trend?

Is this a result of any oDesk system feature e.g., suggestions, recommendations, etc.

Does this possible new trend have anything to do with oDesk recruiters attempting to assist clients?

What are your thoughts?

Ace Contributor
Candi H Member Since: Jan 14, 2015
2 of 17

Ronald,

I noticed this as well. I was sent an invite to a job that had 163 applicants and it was only a few hours old. I didn't waste time looking to see if they were client invites or people using connects to apply to a job that wasn't even worth reading the lengthy requirements. This happened last week, so I am assuming it was probably client invites and not people using connects.

In fact, the past several invites have all been very similar with applicants in the high 50s and 60s for a single low-paying job and all have been from brand new clients, with no history.

Community Guru
3 of 17

Thank you Candi, kudos!

Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
4 of 17

re: "I have seen members' posts where they mentioned that as a result of the new Connects feature they are seeing fewer applicants."

This is good. Reducing the number of applicants is main intent of the Connects system.

re: "I have been getting more invitations since the introduction of the new Connects feature"

Me too. There was a VERY clear and immediate change for me. When the Connects system began, I immediately began receiving more invitations. At least 90% of the invitations I'm receiving are serious, high-quality invitations. I found that I quickly had to raise my hourly rate considerably in order to slow down the invitations. I also begin setting my availability setting to NOT available more often. Because I now set myself to NOT available, I can't fully gauge how many invitations I WOULD get if I didn't use that setting so frequently.

re: "Lately invitations have been arriving for jobs with 50 to 100 or even more applicants -- the majority of which are from client invitations. Is this a new trend?"

I have no idea about this. Clearly there is something different going on for you than what I'm seeing. My profile promotes me as being in a very specialized niche job category which a very small number of oDesk workers specialize in. That may explain the difference in what we are seeing.

I think the majority of the invites I receive were sent only to me, and nobody else, but I definitely receive invites that were sent to a small handful of other contractors as well.

Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
5 of 17

re: "In fact, the past several invites have all been very similar with applicants in the high 50s and 60s for a single low-paying job and all have been from brand new clients, with no history."

I can definitely say that if I saw a client had INVITED over 50 of people to apply for his job, I would suspect there is something suspicious about that client. Doesn't seem like something a "real" client would do, unless there is some weird new automated oDesk tool that makes doing something like that a default behavior.

As a client, I have sent private invites to people in the past, but never more than 2 or 3 carefully chosen individuals.

As a contractor, I doubt I can imagine a situation in which I would accept a request to be interviewed by a client who sent out dozens of invitatons.

At this point in my oDesk career, it is rare that I even do free INTERVIEWS. If somebody sends me a HIRE button, I'll accept it and talk to them while they pay me. But I'm not going to waste my time going through a free interview process with somebody who has contacted dozens of contractors.

Community Guru
6 of 17

Hi PH! Kudos to you too!

Actually, I believe the main intent of the Connects system is to generate more revenue, and reducing the number of applicants was the secondary goal. No worries, whichever was the first priority, each could be a close second to the other.

Yep, good point, and I totally agree; "a VERY clear and immediate change...."

Regarding your "very specialized niche job category," I agree that you are very unique among oDesk freelancers, and that could be why we see different types of invitations. I am familiar with your work here on oDesk and somewhat familiar with your professional accomplishments outside of oDesk.

I recognise you as an expert SQL database designer (esp., MySQL and PHP based technologies). Definitely, you are among the best...most likely "the best" Database Engineer on oDesk.

Ace Contributor
Jennifer H Member Since: Apr 30, 2012
7 of 17

Ron, I've got 450 hours logged, 47 jobs, a 97% job success score and 4.99 star feedback rating and have received two client invites in two months. TWO invites in 60 days. I have no idea how you're seeing more invites. I used to get 10-15 a week without fail. There's something seriously wrong with this picture.

Community Guru
Ela K Member Since: Feb 9, 2015
BEST ANSWER
8 of 17

I received invites in the past couple days where clients had invited up to 200 (!) contractors to apply. On two occasions they were interviewing more than 35 people...

And no, those weren't new clients at all. It just seems very random and it looks like they are actually spamming themselves. I don't get that approach. And it doesn't make me want to apply for those jobs either.

Most invites I get are either for jobs that have nothing to do with my skills set or where clients apparently try to interview everybody. 

Community Leader
Piush P Member Since: Apr 29, 2015
9 of 17

Hi Jenni,

I have got 35 huge game developmet jobs here, with 4.98 stars and 80% JS.

I completely agree with you... There's something seriously going wrong... From 1st April to till date, I could not achive any single job yet, as well as no any respond by any single client. Its really very hard to work here now... 

And yes, I could not get any invitation from any client since 3+ months. Its really a very serious bug. oDesk team, please help me and short out the exact problem.

Thank you.

Piush

Ace Contributor
Candi H Member Since: Jan 14, 2015
10 of 17

Something else about job invites, at least once a day I get an email from oDesk (which is amazing because I don't get any other email or message notifications from oDesk) telling me a new job has just been posted and it is right for me! Hurry, apply!

So, let's see, one was computer programming, which it is nothing short of a miracle that I can even turn my computer on. I'll have to pass.

Another was writing and translating Italian. I love Italian food, but spaghetti is about as much Italian as I know.

Then today, I get one that I know is spam because I have gotten no less than 50 invites with the exact same wording for an ebook writer. I try to click the link to apply now just out of curiosity and it takes me to the "uh-oh" page.

I am flattered I am getting so many invites and recommendations, but it seems silly to add another feature when so many that are actually useful are broken.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS