🐈 Community
» Forums » Freelancers » Applications -- New Trend?
Page options
lanwanman

Applications -- New Trend?

I have seen members' posts where they mentioned that as a result of the new Connects feature they are seeing fewer applicants. For me that is advantageous.

I have been getting more invitations since the introduction of the new Connects feature, and at first I too was seeing less applicants. Lately invitations have been arriving for jobs with 50 to 100 or even more applicants -- the majority of which are from client invitations. Is this a new trend?

Is this a result of any oDesk system feature e.g., suggestions, recommendations, etc.

Does this possible new trend have anything to do with oDesk recruiters attempting to assist clients?

What are your thoughts?

Ron aka LanWanMan
ACCEPTED SOLUTION

I received invites in the past couple days where clients had invited up to 200 (!) contractors to apply. On two occasions they were interviewing more than 35 people...

And no, those weren't new clients at all. It just seems very random and it looks like they are actually spamming themselves. I don't get that approach. And it doesn't make me want to apply for those jobs either.

Most invites I get are either for jobs that have nothing to do with my skills set or where clients apparently try to interview everybody. 

View solution in original post

16 REPLIES 16
candi45

Ronald,

I noticed this as well. I was sent an invite to a job that had 163 applicants and it was only a few hours old. I didn't waste time looking to see if they were client invites or people using connects to apply to a job that wasn't even worth reading the lengthy requirements. This happened last week, so I am assuming it was probably client invites and not people using connects.

In fact, the past several invites have all been very similar with applicants in the high 50s and 60s for a single low-paying job and all have been from brand new clients, with no history.

Thank you Candi, kudos!

Ron aka LanWanMan
prestonhunter

re: "I have seen members' posts where they mentioned that as a result of the new Connects feature they are seeing fewer applicants."

This is good. Reducing the number of applicants is main intent of the Connects system.

re: "I have been getting more invitations since the introduction of the new Connects feature"

Me too. There was a VERY clear and immediate change for me. When the Connects system began, I immediately began receiving more invitations. At least 90% of the invitations I'm receiving are serious, high-quality invitations. I found that I quickly had to raise my hourly rate considerably in order to slow down the invitations. I also begin setting my availability setting to NOT available more often. Because I now set myself to NOT available, I can't fully gauge how many invitations I WOULD get if I didn't use that setting so frequently.

re: "Lately invitations have been arriving for jobs with 50 to 100 or even more applicants -- the majority of which are from client invitations. Is this a new trend?"

I have no idea about this. Clearly there is something different going on for you than what I'm seeing. My profile promotes me as being in a very specialized niche job category which a very small number of oDesk workers specialize in. That may explain the difference in what we are seeing.

I think the majority of the invites I receive were sent only to me, and nobody else, but I definitely receive invites that were sent to a small handful of other contractors as well.

re: "In fact, the past several invites have all been very similar with applicants in the high 50s and 60s for a single low-paying job and all have been from brand new clients, with no history."

I can definitely say that if I saw a client had INVITED over 50 of people to apply for his job, I would suspect there is something suspicious about that client. Doesn't seem like something a "real" client would do, unless there is some weird new automated oDesk tool that makes doing something like that a default behavior.

As a client, I have sent private invites to people in the past, but never more than 2 or 3 carefully chosen individuals.

As a contractor, I doubt I can imagine a situation in which I would accept a request to be interviewed by a client who sent out dozens of invitatons.

At this point in my oDesk career, it is rare that I even do free INTERVIEWS. If somebody sends me a HIRE button, I'll accept it and talk to them while they pay me. But I'm not going to waste my time going through a free interview process with somebody who has contacted dozens of contractors.

Hi PH! Kudos to you too!

Actually, I believe the main intent of the Connects system is to generate more revenue, and reducing the number of applicants was the secondary goal. No worries, whichever was the first priority, each could be a close second to the other.

Yep, good point, and I totally agree; "a VERY clear and immediate change...."

Regarding your "very specialized niche job category," I agree that you are very unique among oDesk freelancers, and that could be why we see different types of invitations. I am familiar with your work here on oDesk and somewhat familiar with your professional accomplishments outside of oDesk.

I recognise you as an expert SQL database designer (esp., MySQL and PHP based technologies). Definitely, you are among the best...most likely "the best" Database Engineer on oDesk.

Ron aka LanWanMan
jenmhutson

Ron, I've got 450 hours logged, 47 jobs, a 97% job success score and 4.99 star feedback rating and have received two client invites in two months. TWO invites in 60 days. I have no idea how you're seeing more invites. I used to get 10-15 a week without fail. There's something seriously wrong with this picture.

I received invites in the past couple days where clients had invited up to 200 (!) contractors to apply. On two occasions they were interviewing more than 35 people...

And no, those weren't new clients at all. It just seems very random and it looks like they are actually spamming themselves. I don't get that approach. And it doesn't make me want to apply for those jobs either.

Most invites I get are either for jobs that have nothing to do with my skills set or where clients apparently try to interview everybody. 

Hi Jenni,

I have got 35 huge game developmet jobs here, with 4.98 stars and 80% JS.

I completely agree with you... There's something seriously going wrong... From 1st April to till date, I could not achive any single job yet, as well as no any respond by any single client. Its really very hard to work here now... 

And yes, I could not get any invitation from any client since 3+ months. Its really a very serious bug. oDesk team, please help me and short out the exact problem.

Thank you.

Piush

Something else about job invites, at least once a day I get an email from oDesk (which is amazing because I don't get any other email or message notifications from oDesk) telling me a new job has just been posted and it is right for me! Hurry, apply!

So, let's see, one was computer programming, which it is nothing short of a miracle that I can even turn my computer on. I'll have to pass.

Another was writing and translating Italian. I love Italian food, but spaghetti is about as much Italian as I know.

Then today, I get one that I know is spam because I have gotten no less than 50 invites with the exact same wording for an ebook writer. I try to click the link to apply now just out of curiosity and it takes me to the "uh-oh" page.

I am flattered I am getting so many invites and recommendations, but it seems silly to add another feature when so many that are actually useful are broken.

Candi, I noticed emails from oDesk like that as well. They started arriving about one week ago. So far they were recommended new jobs that "supposedly" were a good match. Unfortunately, I have my own established criteria for selecting clients on oDesk, and the oDesk recommended jobs / clients did not meet that criteria.

Ron aka LanWanMan

Jennifer, I haven't received that many invites per week since 2013. Actually, that's about how many I used to get per month! Members really don 't have a clue as to how things actually work on oDesk...or don't....

Ron aka LanWanMan
bgreek65

What is happening is that if you are invited to a job, then you don't have to use connects.  Clients are catching on that they will not get a large number of applicants, so this is there way of "introducing" the job to a large number of applicants.  Anyone who says there is an ADVANTAGE to this connects system need to reassess.  I would much rather get a job because I was the most qualified, not because I am some big fish in a little pond of applicants.

Yet, seeing 100+ applicants isn't such a small pond now, is it?  The fact is, they are sending invites to all the low wage people who will accept $3 an hour to do anything.  That trend will not change as clients adapt.  I got more invites this month, but invite does not mean hire.  Connects still hurt everyone.  Time to revert back to what was a more successful approach for all.

When I asked support about why I wasn't showing up high in the search list of top contractors anymore, this is the answer I got:

"oDesk’s goal is to match as many relevant, high-quality freelancers to as many clients as possible. One way we do this is by trying to make search as intelligent as possible at showing the right freelancers to the right clients. To do this, we consider several factors, including:

- What is this client looking for? What is important to him or her?
- How likely are the freelancers we show to be a good match for the client who’s searching?
- How likely is a client to be interested in inviting the freelancers we show?
- How likely are the freelancers we show to be available to accept new work?

Because the answers to these questions differ for each client and freelancer, search results can vary dramatically from person to person and from day to day.

In addition, we are constantly making changes to our algorithm to try to do an even better job of getting the right freelancers in front of the right clients.

Because of the many factors we consider and the constant changes we make to our algorithm, we can’t provide any one reason why search results may look a certain way.

Keep in mind:

Search results vary from person to person, so the way you see yourself in search results may be very different than how Client A vs. Client B sees you."

Soooooo, basically search is random. Great! Nice to know that even if you work hard to provide an excellent experience for oDesk clients on every job and always over-deliver, that doesn't mean squat.

Those of us who work hard to do great jobs should be showing up high in search results, NOT randomly. It's official, oDesk's algorithms are the worst of any site in the history of the internet. Bravo.

Kudos Jennifer! At least that reply was more informative than the older "canned" replies oDesk support used to provide -- All in reply to the damage caused by the notorious "mad robots" of oDesk.

Features like freelancers "My Jobs" and freelancers search for jobs / clients; as well as features like client search for freelancers have never been the best and have only become worse with the introduction of oDesk "algorithms" aka mad robots.

Ron aka LanWanMan
ago_g

@ Jennifer

WOW.... something resembling a real reply?..... WOW..... Seriously.... show us how you did that. So many others keep getting nonsense replies as though everyone from CS is just picking words from the messages at random and attempting a reply based only on that.

Of course they could have provided you with a much shorter answer in saying "it's broken something fierce..... we have criteria but according to both clients and freelancers, it's not even coming close". Yeah, that would have covered it !!

@ anyone else still reading this.....

All in all, I have had 3 invites..... total !! Yes, I know this massive amount can get overwhelming but it's true!! Smiley LOL  Still ok... I still found some work that suits me and my timing. <<The original purpose of freelancing.

The first 2 were from the same company that wanted just about everything that I didn't feel like doing. I still don't !! The 3rd was for a data entry job that I'm still wondering why I was even invited in the first place?? The job was near instantly deemed as a waste of a scam attempt because the job was posted over a month ago. NOTE: To others that went to check the job post, that would be why it's showing in error. And it also has "DO NOT BOTHER" written all over it. Or at least that's how I would see it. Not to mention the pay offer was enough to make me say "here.... I'll give YOU that amount of money not to invite me again".

@Santiago - They finally implemented priority support and I've received much quicker responses, even though the answers are no less disheartening.