Reply
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Reply

Applying to jobs with 50++ proposals?

Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
31 of 45

Jennifer M wrote:

But really I am confused why he doesn't take down the video of him bragging about deleting his account and creating a new one. He got his account back because he makes money, but for new freelancers they will just get a permaban. Really bad and pathetic that he won't delete it to save someone from a surprise suspension but instead just wants to be "right."


He claimed here that he had Upwork's permission in advance--hard to see why he wouldn't just say that in the video with a "don't try this at home" type warning.

Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
32 of 45

Tiffany S wrote:


He claimed here that he had Upwork's permission in advance--hard to see why he wouldn't just say that in the video with a "don't try this at home" type warning.


I watched the video and his "permission" was contacting CS to delete the account for him.

Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
33 of 45

Lex D wrote:


I gave my opinion that it doesn't matter how many proposals have been sent because clients look at all proposals. 

Are you suggesting that all or the vast majority of clients look at all proposals? Do you have data to support that other than the fact that you do so yourself? You've invalidated OP's opinion later in your post because it's based only on her experience, so...how is your claim different/better supported?

Unlike you, I do not hide behind a non-public profile. My profile is linked here despite the fact people constantly steal from it and try to pick it apart because I make videos that have helped a lot of other people.

 

Hm. I tried to look at your profile and got a page that said it was set to private.

 

It also says that you bill $135/hour, which strongly suggests that your experience isn't especially meaningful to the low-end, less experienced freelancers typically seeking help to improve their success rates here.

 

Like you, I bid on jobs I'm interested in regardless of the number of proposals...because I know that my skills and credentials far outstrip the vast majority of my competitors, and if the client is looking for a high-end freelancer, chances are good that I'll stand out regardless of the number of other proposals. At $135/hour, the same is likely true for you. Not so much for a writer with one year of generalist experience who has 50,000 true competitors on Upwork. 

 

Active Member
Tanya H Member Since: Jul 5, 2012
34 of 45

Tiffany S wrote:

Lex D wrote:


I gave my opinion that it doesn't matter how many proposals have been sent because clients look at all proposals. 

Are you suggesting that all or the vast majority of clients look at all proposals? Do you have data to support that other than the fact that you do so yourself? You've invalidated OP's opinion later in your post because it's based only on her experience, so...how is your claim different/better supported?

Unlike you, I do not hide behind a non-public profile. My profile is linked here despite the fact people constantly steal from it and try to pick it apart because I make videos that have helped a lot of other people.

 

Hm. I tried to look at your profile and got a page that said it was set to private.

 

It also says that you bill $135/hour, which strongly suggests that your experience isn't especially meaningful to the low-end, less experienced freelancers typically seeking help to improve their success rates here.

 

Like you, I bid on jobs I'm interested in regardless of the number of proposals...because I know that my skills and credentials far outstrip the vast majority of my competitors, and if the client is looking for a high-end freelancer, chances are good that I'll stand out regardless of the number of other proposals. At $135/hour, the same is likely true for you. Not so much for a writer with one year of generalist experience who has 50,000 true competitors on Upwork. 

 


Exactly. This is what happens when you use rhetoric but forget to add logic. 

Community Guru
Christine A Member Since: May 4, 2016
35 of 45

Lex D wrote:

There is no debate.

I gave my opinion that it doesn't matter how many proposals have been sent because clients look at all proposals...
After that you claimed that there is no point sending proposals to gigs with 20+ proposals because you've seen a "pattern" which you can back up with "evidence" based on your "observations" as a freelancer that clients do not look at every proposal and that you can prove it because people on Upwork's forum will back you up (which is not evidence).

 

When I pointed out the flaws in your argument (mainly the fact that you, as a freelancer, cannot possibly know whether or not a client viewed every proposal EVEN IF you can see that they interviewed and hired someone prior to there being 20+ proposals)...


Lex, I'm wondering how you can state for a fact that clients look at ALL proposals? I've hired through other online platforms (Elance, when it was still around) and I definitely didn't read all of the proposals, only the first 20 or so; sometimes not even that. Once you find someone who fits your needs and budget, why continue reading? And as a freelancer  - with almost 19 years of experience on Elance and Upwork - my observations concur with Tanya's. I know that observations aren't facts, but I wonder why you think that your own observations are valid while others' are not? What evidence do you have? I'm genuinely curious.

Active Member
Tanya H Member Since: Jul 5, 2012
36 of 45


Christine A wrote:

Lex D wrote:

There is no debate.

I gave my opinion that it doesn't matter how many proposals have been sent because clients look at all proposals...
After that you claimed that there is no point sending proposals to gigs with 20+ proposals because you've seen a "pattern" which you can back up with "evidence" based on your "observations" as a freelancer that clients do not look at every proposal and that you can prove it because people on Upwork's forum will back you up (which is not evidence).

 

When I pointed out the flaws in your argument (mainly the fact that you, as a freelancer, cannot possibly know whether or not a client viewed every proposal EVEN IF you can see that they interviewed and hired someone prior to there being 20+ proposals)...


Lex, I'm wondering how you can state for a fact that clients look at ALL proposals? I've hired through other online platforms (Elance, when it was still around) and I definitely didn't read all of the proposals, only the first 20 or so; sometimes not even that. Once you find someone who fits your needs and budget, why continue reading? And as a freelancer  - with almost 19 years of experience on Elance and Upwork - my observations concur with Tanya's. I know that observations aren't facts, but I wonder why you think that your own observations are valid while others' are not? What evidence do you have? I'm genuinely curious.


Exactly, logic 101

Community Guru
Kathy T Member Since: Jul 17, 2015
37 of 45

Jobs with 50+ proposals doesn't mean that the client has 51 proposals. On this site, there is no way of telling how many proposals were actually submitted. There's another site, not at all as big and popular as this site, and it actually shows how many proposals were submitted.

 

Just speaking for the Admin section, of this other freelancing site, I have seen jobs with OVER 200 proposals. Some even nearing 300. I'm sure, (yet I have no concrete evidence) that this site, when it shows 50+ proposals it may well be over 300. 

 

On this site, speaking in the Admin section the jobs that attract so many proposals are repetitive no experience jobs, such as typing.  Jobs that you really don't need any special skills for. Jobs anyone can do. Jobs that require special skills and expertise usually don't get that many responses. 

 

IMO if you are new, with no special skills and are looking for those types of no special skill jobs, you are competing against 100's of other newbies no special skill freelancers. And your chances of getting picked are better if you're in the first 10 proposal bunch. Otherwise it's like picking someone out of a hat and you might be better off buying a lottery ticket and winning something. 

 

Active Member
Tanya H Member Since: Jul 5, 2012
38 of 45

Kathy T wrote:

Jobs with 50+ proposals doesn't mean that the client has 51 proposals. On this site, there is no way of telling how many proposals were actually submitted. There's another site, not at all as big and popular as this site, and it actually shows how many proposals were submitted.

 

Just speaking for the Admin section, of this other freelancing site, I have seen jobs with OVER 200 proposals. Some even nearing 300. I'm sure, (yet I have no concrete evidence) that this site, when it shows 50+ proposals it may well be over 300. 

 

On this site, speaking in the Admin section the jobs that attract so many proposals are repetitive no experience jobs, such as typing.  Jobs that you really don't need any special skills for. Jobs anyone can do. Jobs that require special skills and expertise usually don't get that any responses. 

 

IMO if you are new, with no special skills and are looking for those types of no special skill jobs, you are competing against 100's of other newbies no special skill freelancers. And your chances of getting picked are better if you're in the first 10 proposal bunch. Otherwise it's like picking someone out of a hat and you might be better off buying a lottery ticket and winning something. 

 


Exactly this is similar to what I told him on his video. Wow 300? Thank you for saying this it will help many new freelancers 

Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
39 of 45

Tanya,

 

The person who gave you this bad advice has a freelancer profile which breaks so many of the Upwork rules, I'm surprised his (or this) account is still showing. (I'm not sure how many he has had.) 

 

Anyway, trust in your own judgement and come back to the forum if you have any more questions. Don't waste your money or time on dodgy punters who promise to make you rich if you pay for one of their courses. 

Active Member
Tanya H Member Since: Jul 5, 2012
40 of 45

Nichola L wrote:

Tanya,

 

The person who gave you this bad advice has a freelancer profile which breaks so many of the Upwork rules, I'm surprised his (or this) account is still showing. (I'm not sure how many he has had.) 

 

Anyway, trust in your own judgement and come back to the forum if you have any more questions. Don't waste your money or time on dodgy punters who promise to make you rich if you pay for one of their courses. 


Thank you, I haven't spent money on him, his video came on my feed, everything I have learned and that helped me to be successful was from this forum and pro freelancers on other platforms Smiley Happy

 

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS