cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Approved by Upwork

Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
11 of 20

Hi Ramon,

You can find a very detailed answer to your question in the article 3. Dormant Jobs, here:

If a Fixed Price Job has a Fixed Price Escrow Account with a balance but has had no activity for 90 consecutive days after the last milestone date contained in the business terms, then the Job will be “Dormant.” Dormant Jobs are subject to the following rules:

1. Upwork will notify Client when the Job becomes Dormant (“Dormant Date”).
  2. If no activity other than Release requests has occurred within 7 days after the Dormant Date, Upwork will notify the Freelancer that the Job is Dormant.
  3. If Freelancer and Client take no action for 7 days after the Dormant Date, Freelancer and Client agree that EEC is authorized and irrevocably instructed to immediately release escrow funds to Client.
  4. If Freelancer submits a Release request and client does not take any action for 14 days from the date of the Release request, Freelancer and Client agree that EEC is authorized and irrevocably instructed to immediately release to Freelancer the amount related to the milestone with Release request.
  5. All funds released to Freelancer under this Section, Dormant Jobs, will be subject to the applicable Service Fees for Freelancers.

I am sorry, but the system will not allow you to leave it as a statement there forever. Either you or your client will have to have this money after all.

~ Valeria
Untitled
Community Guru
Douglas Michael M Member Since: May 22, 2015
12 of 20

@Ramon B wrote:

Someone hired me without stating in the job post that the freelancer needed to be an expert in Islam. Since it was his fault, he never ended the contract, as it would result in impacting upon my job success.

While I see there has been knowledgeable confirmation of the job success impact, I must ask Upwork to weigh in:

• How can it possibly be the case that fatal client error negatively affects a provider's job success rating?

And back to you Ramon. If true:

• How would the client know?
  • Why would the client care?

Best to all,

Michael

Community Guru
Ramon B Member Since: Jan 11, 2015
13 of 20

He knew it was his fault because I told him, in the course of a unwanted Skype interview, that a Muslim might be better equipped to advise on Islam than someone with no knowledge who assumed editing meant changing the text rather than being an expert on Islamic ritual. 

Since I said that I will try my hardest to negatively impact upon his rating as well, he has never tried to recover the money, nor have I tried to claim it. Therefore, we have reached an impasse, I will not release the money for fear of damaging my fragile job success, nor has he shown any interest in resolving this situation.

Community Guru
Ramon B Member Since: Jan 11, 2015
14 of 20

Anyway, it was all a bit of a con. The reason he got me on Skype was to try and change the job criteria to a primarily writing job. Unfortunately for both of us, however, I accepted the job offer before the interview.

Community Guru
Douglas Michael M Member Since: May 22, 2015
15 of 20

@Ramon B wrote:

Since I said that I will try my hardest to negatively impact upon his rating as well...

Huh? I'm hoping that's a dropped "not," and not a threat. (Although I suppose in the heat of a frustrating conversation, I might have reflexively responded to a client's threat with one of my own.)

Best,

Michael

Community Guru
Setu M Member Since: Jan 26, 2014
16 of 20

@ Md. Rahatur,

No, as long as you allow the client to close out the contract it will be fine. Assuming that the client leaves a positive feedback.

---- easy like Sunday morning ----
Martina K Member Since: Jun 23, 2015
17 of 20

Hi,

I am relatively new and had a great start and experience until my last job. That is why I turned here to look for answers of people in similar situations. 

I have agreed for a job approx. a month ago and everything was fine, the job was divided into three milestones, first more as a test and the other two in equal parts. The client was great and available for communication so was I. The job had a very thight deadline so I worked overtime and weekends. I delivered everything, including the source files and all two days before deadline and the client went silent. He funded the last milestone but he hasn't released it and has been avoiding me. I have tried to contact him several times to get some feedback and closure and finally got him on Skype. He said he had some corrections and would get back to me which he didn't. I wanted to ask what are the pssible scenarios, what can happen? I really did my job honestly and worked very hard, will Upwork release the funds after two weeks, can the client ask for a refund and do some kind of scam? It is really bothering me, how to protect from a client like that? Thank you all for listening and for any help you provide, I appreciate it a lot.

Martina

Community Guru
Aleksandra K Member Since: Mar 31, 2015
18 of 20

Hi Martina,

If the milestone is funded then 14 days after you click the submit button the money will be automatically transferred to your account (assuming the client does nothing).

In that period the client has the right to approve the funds (which will mean that they will be immediately transferred to the pending status) or he can dispute the work. If he files a dispute UpWork will look into the problem and based on the provided evidence they will either release the money to you or release the funds to him.

Make sure you keep all communication and try to communicate through UpWork. This way they can easily have access to all relevant evidence.

Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
19 of 20

Hi Rahatur,

I would like to confirm that a milestone being released to you automatically after 14 days is not going to affect your Job Success score negatively.

~ Valeria
Untitled
Community Guru
Md Rahatur R Member Since: Apr 17, 2013
20 of 20

Finally, the long awaited answer! peace of mind Smiley Happy

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS