🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: Approving milestone
Page options
edesignmk
Community Member

Approving milestone

I have sent the final files for payment request, but the client just write "thank you" and didn't released the milestone. We have completed the project and he was happy with the results, I just needed to send him the final files. 
So I guess he doesn't know that he needs to approve the milestone payment, or maybe he forgot to do that, and I will need to wait 14 days.
Do the clients are notified that they need to approve milestones?
Should I ask him to approve the milestone, or it's not professional? 

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
martina_plaschka
Community Member

Goran A wrote:

I have sent the final files for payment request, but the client just write "thank you" and didn't released the milestone. We have completed the project and he was happy with the results, I just needed to send him the final files. 
So I guess he doesn't know that he needs to approve the milestone payment, or maybe he forgot to do that, and I will need to wait 14 days.
Do the clients are notified that they need to approve milestones? No. They don't "have" to.
Should I ask him to approve the milestone, or it's not professional? No. Once you submit for payment, they pretty much know everything they need to know. 

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
wlyonsatl
Community Member

Assuming the milestone is fully funded, I'd recommend just waiting either for the client to approve payment or for Upwork to automatically release the funds that are in escrow 14 days after your submission.

Don't re-submit the work to encourage payment by the client. That just re-starts the 14-day timeline for automatic payment.

Just wait.

I submit. Then I wait.

I don't send messages.

I simply wait to get paid automatically.

Or if the client releases payment manually, that is fine too.

I do the same as Preston. Thanks for this confirmation. 

And what happens if the client didn't approve the rest of the milestones, and then dissapeared? So it leaves me with the 5$ amount fot the first milestone. 

Danijela N wrote:

And what happens if the client didn't approve the rest of the milestones, and then dissapeared? So it leaves me with the 5$ amount fot the first milestone. 

You should not be doing any work beyond the scope of the milestone that is setup. If the client has only funded $5 into milestone 1, then you do $5 worth of work. 

If the client wants you to complete all milestones in one go, then they need to ensure that the first milestone is funded sufficently to complete the work. That is the whole point of the milestone system.

If you complete work beyond the scope of that first $5 milestone, then the client decides to walk away you will not be paid, Upwork will not be able to help, as you used the system incorrectly and did not ensure funds were secure prior to starting work.

Thank you. Unfortunately I've learned my lesson. 

martina_plaschka
Community Member

Goran A wrote:

Do the clients are notified that they need to approve milestones? No. They don't "have" to.
Should I ask him to approve the milestone, or it's not professional? No. Once you submit for payment, they pretty much know everything they need to know. 

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths