🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Are Job Proposals Becoming Too Expensive on U...
Page options
4dcd4a0c
Community Member

Are Job Proposals Becoming Too Expensive on Upwork?

Hey everyone,

I've noticed a concerning trend lately regarding job proposals on Upwork. It seems that the cost of submitting proposals is on the rise, with some projects requiring as many as 8 connects ( which is okay). But bids reaching up to 63 connects! 😲 ( as 4th place)

As freelancers, we understand the importance of investing in our craft and putting our best foot forward when applying for projects. However, with the increasing cost of connects and the high number required for certain jobs, it's becoming challenging for many of us to compete for opportunities.

I'm curious to hear your thoughts on this matter. Do you believe that job proposals are becoming too expensive on Upwork? How do you navigate this issue and ensure that you're making the most of your connects without breaking the bank?

Let's open up the discussion and share our experiences and strategies for tackling this issue. Your insights could help fellow freelancers navigate the evolving landscape of job proposals on Upwork.

So, let's dive in and exchange ideas! 💬

Noor S.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
bbdebb52
Community Member

Yes, job proposals are expensive, and that's why it's important to choose wisely before applying, dear Noor.

Here are a few tips that I hope you will find helpful:

1. You don't always need to boost, especially if there aren't many proposals. 

2. Clients who send many invitations (e.g., 10+) are less likely to hire. 

3. Huge budget gaps in payment (e.g., $5-$99 per hour) don't sound realistic.

4. Always check if a client has already hired someone before bidding. 

5. Vague descriptions. A lazy client isn't going to put much effort into communication and payment.

6. Clients who pay very little per hour aren't going to make anyone rich.

7. Is the client actively checking their post? If not, why waste connects?

8. What is the percentage of job hiring? You should expect a low chance of being hired if it's low.

9. I would never submit a proposal before reading the job description (word by word, no exceptions!)

10. Submitting many proposals doesn't correlate with more jobs, but your proposal's quality makes all the difference. 

Happy bidding and happy getting your next job soon, everyone 😁

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
shahnamhaider
Community Member

There are multiple threads open with freelancers complaining about the same issue. And yes, finding work is getting more and more expensive here. Not only that, I have noticed that projects now have a sliding connects requirements. A couple of projects I was ghosting started with 8 connects requred to bid, 3 days and "20 to 50 proposals" later, the same gigs projects require 12 and 16 connects respectively.

tjmisny
Community Member

Hi Noor -

In my opinion, proposals would NOT be too expensive IF....

Upwork cultivated a platform where the majority of clients hire, and more clients treated Freelancers' time and expendature to apply with respect.

This is currently not the case.  In a recent test I did, less then 19% of the 306 jobs I applied to in 2024 hired anyone.  So imagine that you are going to spend $10-20 to apply to job, considering that there's a 19% chance that job will hire ANYONE, and if there are 50 applicants there is an EXTREMELY small chance you will be the 1/50 to win, if the 1/5 odds come true where the client hires.   (And actually, that 1/50 is even smaller because the client might hire someone they choose to interview, rather than a paying applicant) 

And Upwork has a large list of exceptions to when Freelancers are refunded Connects.  So most of the time, my Connects were not refunded and I lost over a thousand dollars.

I will never Boost again!

bbdebb52
Community Member

Yes, job proposals are expensive, and that's why it's important to choose wisely before applying, dear Noor.

Here are a few tips that I hope you will find helpful:

1. You don't always need to boost, especially if there aren't many proposals. 

2. Clients who send many invitations (e.g., 10+) are less likely to hire. 

3. Huge budget gaps in payment (e.g., $5-$99 per hour) don't sound realistic.

4. Always check if a client has already hired someone before bidding. 

5. Vague descriptions. A lazy client isn't going to put much effort into communication and payment.

6. Clients who pay very little per hour aren't going to make anyone rich.

7. Is the client actively checking their post? If not, why waste connects?

8. What is the percentage of job hiring? You should expect a low chance of being hired if it's low.

9. I would never submit a proposal before reading the job description (word by word, no exceptions!)

10. Submitting many proposals doesn't correlate with more jobs, but your proposal's quality makes all the difference. 

Happy bidding and happy getting your next job soon, everyone 😁

Thanks, Bashar! These tips are very helpful. I also check if the client is new to upwork or payment is unverified, most of them do not really hire.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members