🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Are Russian companies allowed to hire on Upwo...
Page options
annasaarinen
Community Member

Are Russian companies allowed to hire on Upwork? How to block them?

Hi,

I was under the impression that Russian companies were not allowed on Upwork since Russia's invasion of Ukraine? Am I mistaken?

I received an invitation to interview today from a client who has listed their location as Finland. I accepted the invitation and later found out that it is actually a Russian company based in Moscow. I then sent him a message explaining to him that I don't want to work with Russian companies that pay taxes to Russia and thus fund the war on Ukraine. To which he replied that my message is silly, asked me why it would affect me personally "what happens between Russia and Ukraine" and told me that I have been listening to too much "American propaganda". I am fuming!

I have flagged his job post. But is there any way I can block him from sending me further messages? I really don't want to listen to any more of his garbage.

Thanks!

7 REPLIES 7
prestonhunter
Community Member

re: "But is there any way I can block him from sending me further messages?"

You can block any Upwork user from communicating with you by right-clicking on their name or photo in the messages tool and choosing the Block option.

Thanks Preston!

Still waiting for him to be banned as it pretty clear from this press release by Upwork

that Upwork does not allow Russian companies to hire on Upwork anymore...

kochubei_valeria
Community Member

Hi Anna,

I'm sorry to hear you've had a frustrating interaction on the platform. I can confirm that operations in Russia and Belarus have been and remain suspended since May 2022. We appreciate you flagging the job. Rest assured the team will take appropriate action.

~ Valeria
Upwork

Hi Valeria,

Thanks for confirming that!

Unfortunately his job post has still not been blocked (I've flagged it three times already). He also managed to send me one more message of b*llsh*t about American propaganda and Ukrainian goverment being all evil before I was able to block him... I come across such idiots enough on social media already, I wouldn't want to have to deal with them during work hours as well. I really hope Upwork finds ways to uphold the suspension of russian companies and not let them use the platform under fake locations.

Hi Anna,

Thank you for following up. I checked the job you are referring to and noticed that our team is already investigating the reported client account. The job will be removed as soon as the investigation is completed.

Thank you,

Pradeep

Upwork

Please surprise me and ban operations from or to the terrorist state Israel until they stop their genocide against palestenians.

spectralua
Community Member

Your position is great not to support murders. I appreciate it. Upwork isn't interested in their ban, they're just accept formality with a fake location.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members