Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Are These Fake Jobs Being Posted!?!?

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Heather L Member Since: Jul 13, 2015
1 of 83

I've seen dozens like this today. Is Upwork having these listed since they've slowed down? Smiley Mad There is no way these are all legit. They are too similar. I hope people don't waste their connects! 

Highlighted
Kathryn M Member Since: Sep 25, 2019
2 of 83

I was just coming here to ask about the same thing. I applied to one of these before I saw two more that were almost identical with different names. What would the purpose be of posting the same ad multiple times with different names? 

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
3 of 83

If Upwork is paying somebody to post these I am going to be livid. That is definitely unethical.  

Highlighted
Saad A Member Since: Jul 11, 2018
4 of 83

If Upwork is paying somebody to post these I am going to be livid. That is definitely unethical. 

Upwork does not create fake jobs. But I understand why your intuition is tilted towards it. In my 7 years of experience on multiple platforms – I have seen my share of fake jobs (too many to count) – and they are posted by scammers. In these times, when people are losing jobs, a large pool of people are shifting from traditional 9-5 jobs to freelancing. A new market for scammers to feed on. That is why we see an upward increase of these so-called fake jobs. And this will be linear. How will upwork stop this? For a freelancer, that question will only bring harm. Rather, ask, “what can you do?”.

There is another group of individuals who post jobs to see proposals in hopes of reusing them to get a job – a lugubrious methodology that lacks ethics and values – needed to become good at a certain set of skills.  

When you see a job that you feel is not real – flag it. Many times these people (scammers or whatever), will use the same words, format, phrases and useless jargon.

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
5 of 83

Highlighted
Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
6 of 83

Hi Heather,

I was able to locate the jobs you are referring to and I've forwarded all the information to the team for investigation. We'll take action if we find the jobs are against the TOS. 

Thanks for bringing this up to our attention. 

~ Valeria
Untitled
Highlighted
Kathryn M Member Since: Sep 25, 2019
7 of 83

If they are against the TOS, will I get my connects back?

Thanks!

Highlighted
Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
8 of 83

Hi Kathryn,

Yes, if a job is cancelled without a hire by the client or by Upwork team because it was in violation of TOS, connects freelancers used to send a proposal to it are returned. 

~ Valeria
Untitled
Highlighted
Community Guru
Will L Member Since: Jul 9, 2015
9 of 83

Hi, Valeria.

Did I understand you correctly - if any job is cancelled without a hire by the client the connects freelancers used to send a proposal to that job are returned to the freelancer?

Has this been Upwork's policy since all connects have had to be paid for?

Highlighted
Community Guru
Christine A Member Since: May 4, 2016
10 of 83

Will L wrote:

Hi, Valeria.

Did I understand you correctly - if any job is cancelled without a hire by the client the connects freelancers used to send a proposal to that job are returned to the freelancer?

Has this been Upwork's policy since all connects have had to be paid for?

No, you didn't understand correctly. The full sentence was, "...if a job is cancelled without a hire by the client or by Upwork team because it was in violation of TOS". This has always been the case - I'm surprised that you didn't know this?

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS