🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Are attachments viewable before opening/ "vie...
Page options
kelly_e
Community Member

Are attachments viewable before opening/ "viewing" a proposal?

What it says on the tin. Can't find anything in Help to tell me this. I was just wondering whether a prospective client can open/ look at attachments to a proposal, without this being counted as opening or viewing the proposal itself.

If so then attachments contribute to open rate... if not, then no matter how persuasive and wonderful the attachments, they're not seen by prospects who don't "view" the proposal itself.

And while I'm on the subject of opening a proposal—I've read that the first "two lines" of a proposal can be seen by prospects without opening the proposal—how many characters is that? Just wondering what word the preview gets cut off on, in my first lines.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi Kelly,

Yes, I can confirm that the client would have to click on the proposal and open it in order to view attachments.
The portion of the cover letter that's shown in the proposals list isn't limited to a certain number of characters but rather what fits into the first two lines. Generally, it's around 220 to 240 characters.

~ Arjay
Upwork

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
AndreaG

Hi Kelly,

In this help article, you can find an example of how proposals look to clients before they click on them. You can see what information would be available in the preview there.

~Andrea
Upwork
kelly_e
Community Member

The image isn't clickable, and for me, at least, is awfully small. I'm also not sure that it answers the questions even if it were larger...

Could you confirm for me, if you can see it better, that the answer is no—attachments can not be clicked/ viewed without opening a proposal (and the fact that there are attachments can't be seen, either)? Or does this example have no attachments, meaning it isn't really telling me anything?

And from the words I see there, I get a character count of 147. Is that accurate or is the example-screenshot just a very short "cover letter"?

Hi Kelly,

Yes, I can confirm that the client would have to click on the proposal and open it in order to view attachments.
The portion of the cover letter that's shown in the proposals list isn't limited to a certain number of characters but rather what fits into the first two lines. Generally, it's around 220 to 240 characters.

~ Arjay
Upwork
kelly_e
Community Member

Thanks, Arjay—that answers what the image really didn't. I appreciate your help!

kelly_e
Community Member

Arjay—a month later, I'm trying to clarify something I was reading on another thread today. In March you had said that the first 220+ char of a *cover letter* can be seen by clients before they click through.

Now I'm hearing that NONE of the cover letter can be seen before clients click through. Also, none of the *profile description.* Only photo, profile title, and a few stats.

(The result of this, in my user-experience-professional opinion, will be eyes glazing over at the sameness of the stats-blur down the page, and pure photo-bias on the part of clients.)

Is this accurate?

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members