cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Are certain freelancers allowed to copy other people’s profiles?

Highlighted
Paola H Member Since: Dec 4, 2014
1 of 27

I would like to start by saying that I’ve never had the need to post a question since this forum is full of great answers. But this is the first time I hit a wall.

So, my profile was plagiarized. This isn’t the first time it happens, but usually everything sorts itself out whether because I flag them or due to the freelancer’s inability to land a job. This time, however, I contacted CS (also not the first time) because I found two profiles: a noob who “only” copied a couple of paragraphs, and another guy who decided to lift my entire overview and is already earning money.

I was kind of expecting the same outcome as with the last ticket--the standard “we won’t be able to share any details” and the removal of both profiles. But no! While the noob’s profile was removed promptly, I was told that they found no violation on the second one and he’s had his ID verified(!).

I told CS this was unacceptable and asked them to escalate the issue to someone who could actually solve it. Well, today I was hit with their resolution: We conducted a thorough review, there is no violation, have some connects as a consolation prize (paraphrased, of course).

To add insult to injury I was told that Upwork is aware that some copying might occur since they share the profiles of successful freelancers as examples for writing your overview(!!).

Which leads me to huge concerns:

1. The fact that my plagiarist had his ID verified only highlights the flaws in the verification process

2. If the first profile I reported (the one who copied two paragraphs) was found in the wrong, then why the other one (who copied the whole enchilada) wasn’t? Is it because he added some stuff that’s not on my profile and that makes it OK?

3. My last concern is that Upwork just turned me into a conspiracy nut: Was the guy not removed because he’s already making money? Or is it because he’s paying for a Plus plan?

So yeah, there was no “thorough review”. It’s very simple, anyone who can read English will see that his overview is copied from mine (you can see with your own eyes if you do a specific search on google for the first sentence of the last paragraph on my profile).

Please, I’d appreciate any advice, or at least point me to the part of the TOS where it says that plagiarists are welcome on Upwork.

Community Guru
Rene K Member Since: Jul 10, 2014
2 of 27

Paola H wrote:

Was the guy not removed because he’s already making money? 

I think you have your answer. And we have seen worse. We have seen at least one profile changing hands and they did squat because the new owner was earning good money.

ETA: at the time of writing, I can't find anyone with your profile. If you still see it, share the link here.

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless
3 of 27

Rene K wrote:

Paola H wrote:

Was the guy not removed because he’s already making money? 

I think you have your answer. And we have seen worse. We have seen at least one profile changing hands and they did squat because the new owner was earning good money.

Yep, I was hoping that wasn't the answer but it seems to beCat Mad

ETA: at the time of writing, I can't find anyone with your profile. If you still see it, share the link here.

Sooo, I was about to post the link to the guy's profile and it's seems to be unavailable now! You can still find him the results page when you google (with quotation marks included): "I offer flexibility regarding deadlines, along with a personalized approach to each task and each client's requirements" which is the first sentence of my last paragraph.

It looks that posting here just did the trick Smiley Very Happy

Brian S Member Since: Aug 9, 2019
4 of 27

Wow.

Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
5 of 27

@ Paola

Your profile has been compromised and  Upwork is OBLIGED to do something about this theft. 

Bojan S Moderator Member Since: Mar 9, 2018
6 of 27

Hi Paula, let me follow up on your report and we'll have the team take another look.

Thank you.

~ Bojan
Untitled
7 of 27

Thank you Bojan. It already seems the issue is being sorted out.

Community Guru
Kathy T Member Since: Jul 17, 2015
8 of 27

I'm inclined to say, if that freelancer who copied your entire profile, is making money, then that money that was earned, should be given to you. After all, it's your profile. He can keep your profile, just continue to transfer the money made from it, to you. 

9 of 27

@Nicola: Thank you, I was starting to feel  that maybe I was making too much of a fuss, but I think plagiarised profiles make everyone involved look bad.

@Kathy: That's a great idea! I'd give it more kudos if I could, I'm all up for it!

Community Guru
Christine A Member Since: May 4, 2016
10 of 27

Paola H wrote:

@Nicola: Thank you, I was starting to feel  that maybe I was making too much of a fuss, but I think plagiarised profiles make everyone involved look bad.

You're not making too much of a fuss; fake and plagarised profiles are a real problem, and Upwork needs to make MORE of a fuss about them. But it's an encouraging sign if they actually removed this person's profile; it seems that freelancers who are caught doing this usually just edit their profiles a bit and are allowed to remain on the site. 

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS