🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: Are certain freelancers allowed to copy o...
Page options
paolahernandez
Community Member

Are certain freelancers allowed to copy other people’s profiles?

I would like to start by saying that I’ve never had the need to post a question since this forum is full of great answers. But this is the first time I hit a wall.

So, my profile was plagiarized. This isn’t the first time it happens, but usually everything sorts itself out whether because I flag them or due to the freelancer’s inability to land a job. This time, however, I contacted CS (also not the first time) because I found two profiles: a noob who “only” copied a couple of paragraphs, and another guy who decided to lift my entire overview and is already earning money.

I was kind of expecting the same outcome as with the last ticket--the standard “we won’t be able to share any details” and the removal of both profiles. But no! While the noob’s profile was removed promptly, I was told that they found no violation on the second one and he’s had his ID verified(!).

I told CS this was unacceptable and asked them to escalate the issue to someone who could actually solve it. Well, today I was hit with their resolution: We conducted a thorough review, there is no violation, have some connects as a consolation prize (paraphrased, of course).

To add insult to injury I was told that Upwork is aware that some copying might occur since they share the profiles of successful freelancers as examples for writing your overview(!!).

Which leads me to huge concerns:

1. The fact that my plagiarist had his ID verified only highlights the flaws in the verification process

2. If the first profile I reported (the one who copied two paragraphs) was found in the wrong, then why the other one (who copied the whole enchilada) wasn’t? Is it because he added some stuff that’s not on my profile and that makes it OK?

3. My last concern is that Upwork just turned me into a conspiracy nut: Was the guy not removed because he’s already making money? Or is it because he’s paying for a Plus plan?

So yeah, there was no “thorough review”. It’s very simple, anyone who can read English will see that his overview is copied from mine (you can see with your own eyes if you do a specific search on google for the first sentence of the last paragraph on my profile).

Please, I’d appreciate any advice, or at least point me to the part of the TOS where it says that plagiarists are welcome on Upwork.

40 REPLIES 40
versailles
Community Member

Paola H wrote:

Was the guy not removed because he’s already making money? 

I think you have your answer. And we have seen worse. We have seen at least one profile changing hands and they did squat because the new owner was earning good money.

ETA: at the time of writing, I can't find anyone with your profile. If you still see it, share the link here.

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless

Rene K wrote:

Paola H wrote:

Was the guy not removed because he’s already making money? 

I think you have your answer. And we have seen worse. We have seen at least one profile changing hands and they did squat because the new owner was earning good money.

Yep, I was hoping that wasn't the answer but it seems to beCat Mad

ETA: at the time of writing, I can't find anyone with your profile. If you still see it, share the link here.

Sooo, I was about to post the link to the guy's profile and it's seems to be unavailable now! You can still find him the results page when you google (with quotation marks included): "I offer flexibility regarding deadlines, along with a personalized approach to each task and each client's requirements" which is the first sentence of my last paragraph.

It looks that posting here just did the trick Smiley Very Happy

Paola H wrote:

[…]

Sooo, I was about to post the link to the guy's profile and it's seems to be unavailable now! […]

Are you sure the profile is not available? I was able to check it. I reported a guy some weeks ago (https://community.upwork.com/t5/Freelancers/Why-Does-Upwork-Encourage-Plagiarism/m-p/633152#) and all Upwork did was to have him remove the parts he copied from me. He's still making money here. Anyway, if your guy was banned that's because he has only earned $1k+ while mine has earned 5k+. Robot Sad

Olga Q wrote:

Paola H wrote:

[…]

Sooo, I was about to post the link to the guy's profile and it's seems to be unavailable now! […]

Are you sure the profile is not available? I was able to check it. I reported a guy some weeks ago (https://community.upwork.com/t5/Freelancers/Why-Does-Upwork-Encourage-Plagiarism/m-p/633152#) and all Upwork did was to have him remove the parts he copied from me. He's still making money here. Anyway, if your guy was banned that's because he has only earned $1k+ while mine has earned 5k+. Robot Sad

(​╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Welp, I celebrated too early...

His profile was unavailble for a while and now I see he's back after rewording parts of his my overview.  Oh and he even left intact the part I quoted previously on this thread (the first sentence of my last paragraph.) Hilarious! Cat Mad

Paola H wrote:

Olga Q wrote:

Paola H wrote:

[…]

(​╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Welp, I celebrated too early...

His profile was unavailble for a while and now I see he's back after rewording parts of his my overview.  Oh and he even left intact the part I quoted previously on this thread (the first sentence of my last paragraph.) Hilarious! Cat Mad

Upwork this is unacceptable. Is there a mod who would like (who dares) to comment on this digraceful action taken by Upwork - clearly condoning theft!  

root_graphics
Community Member

Wow.

@ Paola

Your profile has been compromised and  Upwork is OBLIGED to do something about this theft. 

BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Paula, let me follow up on your report and we'll have the team take another look.

Thank you.

~ Bojan
Upwork

Thank you Bojan. It already seems the issue is being sorted out.

joduxbury
Community Member

Bojan:

I flagged 2 freelancers for plagiarising my profile last week. Both still have my copy on their profiles. Can you help please? 

Hi Jo,

Please send me a PM with more details about this so that I can investigate it and escalate it to our team. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork

I want to report someone. She used one of my Portfolio Images and she used it as if it was her own. I already used the Report > Something Else and Flag as Inappropriate Options yet I haven't seen any resolutions made!

Portfolio is called:

**Edited for community guidelines**

Here's mine:**Edited for community guidelines**

(5th Portfolio)

Here's hers:

**Edited for community guidelines**

(1st Portfolio)

I really find it unfair for freelancers pretending and fooling clients around.

Hi Rosalito,

Thanks for bringing this to our attention. I have escalated your report to our team for review. Please know that appropriate actions will be taken. 

~ Joanne
Upwork
kat303
Community Member

I'm inclined to say, if that freelancer who copied your entire profile, is making money, then that money that was earned, should be given to you. After all, it's your profile. He can keep your profile, just continue to transfer the money made from it, to you. 

paolahernandez
Community Member

@Nicola: Thank you, I was starting to feel  that maybe I was making too much of a fuss, but I think plagiarised profiles make everyone involved look bad.

@Kathy: That's a great idea! I'd give it more kudos if I could, I'm all up for it!

Paola H wrote:

@Nicola: Thank you, I was starting to feel  that maybe I was making too much of a fuss, but I think plagiarised profiles make everyone involved look bad.

You're not making too much of a fuss; fake and plagarised profiles are a real problem, and Upwork needs to make MORE of a fuss about them. But it's an encouraging sign if they actually removed this person's profile; it seems that freelancers who are caught doing this usually just edit their profiles a bit and are allowed to remain on the site. 

Note that on one particular platform for translators, which name begins with a P and ends with a Z, profile plagiarism is simply allowed. Their terms of service do not prohibit it and profiles with stolen content cannot be removed. I know this firsthand...

So I guess Upwork users are lucky even with upork's imperfect enforcement of their own rules, that at least exist.

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless

Rene K wrote:

Note that on one particular platform for translators, which name begins with a P and ends with a Z, profile plagiarism is simply allowed. Their terms of service do not prohibit it and profiles with stolen content cannot be removed. I know this firsthand...

Right. In the 5 bucks platform it's also like that, practically a lifestyle. People copying each other their whole profiles and portfolios, and even profiles using celebrities photos such as Johnny Depp, making good money. It's just unbelievable.

jared_k
Community Member

Well I'm glad I decided to read this today. I googled my profile and viola, there is some newb using my profile almost word for word. I reported it but based on what I'm hearing here I'm not so confident anything will be done, although she hasn't made any money yet.

Jared K wrote:

Well I'm glad I decided to read this today. I googled my profile and viola, there is some newb using my profile almost word for word. I reported it but based on what I'm hearing here I'm not so confident anything will be done, although she hasn't made any money yet.

In all fairness I received an update form CS and it looks that Upwork eventually will take appropriate action.

I wish we didn't have to jump through hoops to get their attention, but at least it seems that something it's being done unlike the platforms that René and Sergio mention.

I found a couple of jokers in the 5 bucks platform and the 'F' one who also copied my overview from Upwork, but by the looks of it they are getting nowhere lol.

Come to think about it, I can't remember ever seeing anything in Upwork's ToS that expressly forbids people from copying each other's profiles. Has anyone seen such a prohibition? I am too lazy to read the whole thing again...

I sort of feel left out that I'm not being plagairized but then again I don't need that stress. 

Just remember, Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery! Lol/j/k. 

kbadeau
Community Member

Reinier B wrote:

Come to think about it, I can't remember ever seeing anything in Upwork's ToS that expressly forbids people from copying each other's profiles. Has anyone seen such a prohibition? I am too lazy to read the whole thing again...

Whether or not it's expressly forbidden in Upwork's TOS, it's unprofessional and shady. You would think there'd be no need to spell it out.

petra_r
Community Member

Reinier B wrote:

Come to think about it, I can't remember ever seeing anything in Upwork's ToS that expressly forbids people from copying each other's profiles. Has anyone seen such a prohibition?

It's a copyright violation, hence violates the law, hence does not have to be specifically mentioned

reinierb
Community Member

Petra R wrote:

Reinier B wrote:

Come to think about it, I can't remember ever seeing anything in Upwork's ToS that expressly forbids people from copying each other's profiles. Has anyone seen such a prohibition?

It's a copyright violation, hence violates the law, hence does not have to be specifically mentioned

Maybe, but then they should not call people liars when they complain that their profiles had been copied. 

petra_r
Community Member

Reinier B wrote:

@xxxxx_x wrote:

Please use the quote function properly and/or edit out my user ID. Thanks muchly...

(Edited to add; Thanks Goran 🙂 )

Reinier B wrote:

Maybe, but then they should not call people liars when they complain that their profiles had been copied. 

They call people "liars?" Really?

reinierb
Community Member

Petra R wrote:

Reinier B wrote:

@xxxxx_x wrote:

Please use the quote function properly and/or edit out my user ID. Thanks muchly...

(Edited to add; Thanks Goran 🙂 )

Reinier B wrote:

They do on occasion. One forum regular once recounted the story of the battle she had with CS to convince them that her profile had been stolen. The second time it happened, she was called a liar. If you want, I can PM you her name.

petra_r
Community Member

Reinier B wrote:

They do on occasion. One forum regular once recounted the story of the battle she had with CS to convince them that her profile had been stolen. The second time it happened, she was called a liar.

Wow... Unacceptable.

For anyone interested, this is on the TOS:

"4. PROHIBITED SITE USES
[...]
4.1 EXAMPLES OF PROHIBITED USES OF THE SITE
[...]
• Fraudulent or misleading uses or content, including:
[...]
• Misrepresenting your experience, skills, or information, including by representing another person’s profile, or parts of another person’s profile, as your own;"

I think it's also worth checking 4.2 ENFORCEMENT and 4.3 REPORTING AND CORRECTING VIOLATIONS

Yeah, some guy on the "F" platform also took the first few words of my profile word for word, but I can't do anything about that because I don't use that one.

Hopefully adminstrators take this problem a little more seriously. You'd think there is some simple program they can run to mitigate this problem, right? 

Let's hope that the "approprate action" that Upwork takes, results in the freelancers account suspension and NOT just a slap on the wrist by telling that (and other) freelances to just change the wording. 

I'm not an attorney but believe that if your profile has the words "Copyright + date and All Rights Reserved" it's an added deterrent to the arses who steal > 5 words or 5 paras.

If nothing else, it adds another legal impetus for U to NEVER EVER EVER give you the response Paola got when she began her fight.

Wendy C wrote:

I'm not an attorney but believe that if your profile has the words "Copyright + date and All Rights Reserved" it's an added deterrent to the arses who steal > 5 words or 5 paras.

If nothing else, it adds another legal impetus for U to NEVER EVER EVER give you the response Paola got when she began her fight.

And why it has to be a fight is beyond comprehension. 

This practice of copy other Freelancers' profiles is insanely rampant. Out of control. On every platform. 

It is super easy to do, often undetectable by anyone who generally looks at the profile, has the incentive of massive reward, and a very low probability of any consequences!

In a competitive market, it is basically inevitable under those conditions. I have heard and seen evidence of it over and over again. Not just profile text, but portfolio work is stolen all the time as well.

I think the best way to tackle it is to reduce the ease of it happening in the first place, and have a stricter no tolerance enforcement. At minimum - someone should absolutely not be able to copy-paste profile text. Embed it in a **bleep** image or something at least. There are ways. This is on Upwork and other platforms to implement this. 

But, even if that happened here. Anyone could still just go on to any other platform and steal someone else's information. If it is on the internet, the chances of someone taking it is high. so as long as profiles are available for anyone to view, they will be plaigiarised.

And, let's face it if these platforms removed everyone who was misrepresenting themselves, they might not have all that many workers left....

Nikaya L wrote:

[...]

And, let's face it if these platforms removed everyone who was misrepresenting themselves, they might not have all that many workers left....

It should be a goal for job platforms to reduce the number of what you term "workers". The  freelancing world would be a better place with more quality freelancers and fewer disgruntled clients who have been scammed by thieves. 

To say nothing of the robbed freelancers who are losing out because of this. 

Nichola L wrote:

Nikaya L wrote:

[...]

It should be a goal for job platforms to reduce the number of what you term "workers". The  freelancing world would be a better place with more quality freelancers and fewer disgruntled clients who have been scammed by thieves. 

Ah, the term worker might sound harsh, but we should not be under any illusion that we are not merely worker bees for Upwork. And, the general slide to the bottom which is happening seems to suggest such as well.

The issue of people have poor experiences, both as freelancers and as clients, is huge. I agree that a reduction in numbers and focus on quality would be ideal, but I don't see that occurring easily in the current model.

There seems to be some protection for US freelancers who can search for and apply to US-only gigs, saving them from competing with countless freelancers who can simply dramatically undercut them because of the low cost of living in their home country. As someone from a first world country that isn't the US, I would really love to see better options around this. 

For all the identity verifications, there is no escaping that in the end the reward outways the risk. Especially when you can potentially be paid by rich US and first world clients and you live in a far away country with a low cost of living. And, when many clients use the platform exactly because that is the case!

Not sure there are any simple solutions in the model. But, I think Upwork would also do better if they could find and retain the quality freelancers, and then attract back the quality clients. 

Nikaya L wrote:

Nichola L wrote:

Nikaya L wrote:

[...]

Ah, the term worker might sound harsh, but we should not be under any illusion that we are not merely worker bees for Upwork. And, the general slide to the bottom which is happening seems to suggest such as well.

The issue of people have poor experiences, both as freelancers and as clients, is huge. I agree that a reduction in numbers and focus on quality would be ideal, but I don't see that occurring easily in the current model.

There seems to be some protection for US freelancers who can search for and apply to US-only gigs, saving them from competing with countless freelancers who can simply dramatically undercut them because of the low cost of living in their home country. As someone from a first world country that isn't the US, I would really love to see better options around this. 

For all the identity verifications, there is no escaping that in the end the reward outways the risk. Especially when you can potentially be paid by rich US and first world clients and you live in a far away country with a low cost of living. And, when many clients use the platform exactly because that is the case!

Not sure there are any simple solutions in the model. But, I think Upwork would also do better if they could find and retain the quality freelancers, and then attract back the quality clients. 

We are definitely not "worker bees" for Upwork, we are Upwork's customers. We are not obliged to work from this platform. If Upwork wants to encourage and keep its quality freelancers, then it should take effective steps to stop those who steal profiles in their tracks, and not to pat them on the back and tell them not to do it again. 

Upwork should not rest on its laurels smugly thinking 'Ah well if one leaves, ten others will take his or her place,' because eventually it will kill the geese that lay the golden eggs. 

Nikaya L wrote:

Which would be a great move indeed! Why would a platform want to host fake individuals who post portfolio pieces and/or speech that were not made by them? To mislead clients? If those individuals have the nerve to misrepresent themselves they have the potential to scam clients, and are basically dangerous for any business. A purge will be welcome.

kapilsingh2006
Community Member

is that okay to copy my entire profile, isn't that a policy violation ?
My profile : https://www.upwork.com/freelancers/wordpressspeedoptimization

Freelancer that copied my profile : https://www.upwork.com/freelancers/digitalmanohar

Here is video evidence : https://www.loom.com/share/83f07ab215ef43598cc3cdcedfde9486

how can I ask upwork to take some action ?

@

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths