cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Are certain freelancers allowed to copy other people’s profiles?

Community Guru
Kathy T Member Since: Jul 17, 2015
11 of 31

I'm inclined to say, if that freelancer who copied your entire profile, is making money, then that money that was earned, should be given to you. After all, it's your profile. He can keep your profile, just continue to transfer the money made from it, to you. 

Paola H Member Since: Dec 4, 2014
12 of 31

@Nicola: Thank you, I was starting to feel  that maybe I was making too much of a fuss, but I think plagiarised profiles make everyone involved look bad.

@Kathy: That's a great idea! I'd give it more kudos if I could, I'm all up for it!

Community Guru
Christine A Member Since: May 4, 2016
13 of 31

Paola H wrote:

@Nicola: Thank you, I was starting to feel  that maybe I was making too much of a fuss, but I think plagiarised profiles make everyone involved look bad.

You're not making too much of a fuss; fake and plagarised profiles are a real problem, and Upwork needs to make MORE of a fuss about them. But it's an encouraging sign if they actually removed this person's profile; it seems that freelancers who are caught doing this usually just edit their profiles a bit and are allowed to remain on the site. 

Community Guru
Rene K Member Since: Jul 10, 2014
14 of 31

Note that on one particular platform for translators, which name begins with a P and ends with a Z, profile plagiarism is simply allowed. Their terms of service do not prohibit it and profiles with stolen content cannot be removed. I know this firsthand...

So I guess Upwork users are lucky even with upork's imperfect enforcement of their own rules, that at least exist.

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless
Community Guru
Sergio S Member Since: Dec 19, 2017
15 of 31

Rene K wrote:

Note that on one particular platform for translators, which name begins with a P and ends with a Z, profile plagiarism is simply allowed. Their terms of service do not prohibit it and profiles with stolen content cannot be removed. I know this firsthand...

Right. In the 5 bucks platform it's also like that, practically a lifestyle. People copying each other their whole profiles and portfolios, and even profiles using celebrities photos such as Johnny Depp, making good money. It's just unbelievable.

Ace Contributor
Jared K Member Since: Dec 12, 2015
16 of 31

Well I'm glad I decided to read this today. I googled my profile and viola, there is some newb using my profile almost word for word. I reported it but based on what I'm hearing here I'm not so confident anything will be done, although she hasn't made any money yet.

Paola H Member Since: Dec 4, 2014
17 of 31

Jared K wrote:

Well I'm glad I decided to read this today. I googled my profile and viola, there is some newb using my profile almost word for word. I reported it but based on what I'm hearing here I'm not so confident anything will be done, although she hasn't made any money yet.

In all fairness I received an update form CS and it looks that Upwork eventually will take appropriate action.

I wish we didn't have to jump through hoops to get their attention, but at least it seems that something it's being done unlike the platforms that René and Sergio mention.

I found a couple of jokers in the 5 bucks platform and the 'F' one who also copied my overview from Upwork, but by the looks of it they are getting nowhere lol.

Community Guru
Reinier B Member Since: Nov 3, 2015
18 of 31

Come to think about it, I can't remember ever seeing anything in Upwork's ToS that expressly forbids people from copying each other's profiles. Has anyone seen such a prohibition? I am too lazy to read the whole thing again...

Community Leader
Amanda L Member Since: Jan 23, 2018
19 of 31

I sort of feel left out that I'm not being plagairized but then again I don't need that stress. 

Just remember, Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery! Lol/j/k. 

Community Leader
Kelly B Member Since: Jan 1, 2016
20 of 31

Reinier B wrote:

Come to think about it, I can't remember ever seeing anything in Upwork's ToS that expressly forbids people from copying each other's profiles. Has anyone seen such a prohibition? I am too lazy to read the whole thing again...

Whether or not it's expressly forbidden in Upwork's TOS, it's unprofessional and shady. You would think there'd be no need to spell it out.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS