cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Are clients allowed to ask for our email?

Highlighted
Milos O Member Since: Apr 27, 2018
1 of 4

Hello,

A client asked me for my email adress to send me job instructions and files. I denied and said that he can send me the files via Upwork messenger or any online storage cloud.

So, is sharing an email for receiving files allowed?

Highlighted
Community Guru
Pandora H Member Since: May 11, 2010
2 of 4

Direct answer: Yes, you can communicate with your client via Email, and also share files through a file site like Dropbox or Google.

Details:

We are allowed to use any form of communication our clients prefer. This can be email, Skype, some other chat program like Slack, phone, etc. 

In fact, it's 100% recommended that you set up an alternative way to communicate with your clients, because the Upwork Message Center goes down often.

Also a good idea to have an alternative file sharing tool as well, for the same reason. 

Highlighted
Bojan S Moderator Member Since: Mar 9, 2018
3 of 4

Hi Milos,

You can share information with your client through email. You can use different ways to communicate and exchange files with your client, it's best to submit all work and contract negotiations through the Upwork platform and Messages. This way your communication is easily documented in case an issue arises. Also, it's important that all payments are made on Upwork.

~ Bojan
Untitled
Highlighted
Community Guru
Virginia F Member Since: May 14, 2017
4 of 4

I agree with everyone else. Email is a great way to communicate when I'm out with no computer and just my phone.

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS