🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Are clients with no feedback factored in the ...
Page options
deborah-ponzio
Community Member

Are clients with no feedback factored in the "client who recommend you" stats?

Hello, I was in the understanding that clients who did not leave feedback had no impact on JSS anymore, is this correct or not?

Today my "client who recommend you" stats updated and, according to my calculations, they may include a client who has not left any feedback. My JSS went down from 98 to 95% last weekend. Is this correct and was my previous understanding wrong? 

I would be grateful for any advice, thank you 😉

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
g_vasilevski
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hi Deborah,

I would like to clarify that the client who recommends you section is calculated based on the number of clients that have indicated they would recommend you to others.
Regard your Job Success Score, I would like to confirm that everything is working as designed and the correct number is listed on your profile.

To learn more about why your JSS can change, check out this Help Article. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
feed_my_eyes
Community Member

Deborah P wrote:

Hello, I was in the understanding that clients who did not leave feedback had no impact on JSS anymore, is this correct or not?

That's correct. If your JSS went down and you had no other new projects close in the past two weeks, then the reason might be that a contract with a favourable outcome is now too old (i.e. closed too long ago) to be "counted" in your score.

Dear Christine, thanks for this, but I have just spent one year in Upwork, I have not yet reached the 2-year window on JSS. Therefore I would expect that all my projects are still part of the calculation. Is this correct? My most recent clients seemed all happy and repeat contracts, one wrote that he will hire me again as soon as he needs that. Just one did not leave feedback as, after a long lack of communication, I closed the contract by myself. That's why I suspect that he is factored in. Any clues?

The calculation windows are 6 months, 1 year and 2 years, so a good contract might have aged out of the 6-month window. If it wasn't that, then it was less than perfect private feedback (it doesn't take much to drop you a few percentage points).

Thank you Christine, in my understanding the "client who recommend you stats" include the total contracts from the beginning, isn't it?

Deborah P wrote:

Thank you Christine, in my understanding the "client who recommend you stats" include the total contracts from the beginning, isn't it?

Yes, but apparently it isn't updated at the same rate as your JSS. I think I've seen Petra speculate that it only updates every 5 contracts or so (if it updated immediately after a client gave you bad private feedback, then it wouldn't be private).

If you're still flummoxed, did you or a client close any other projects with no payment, or did you refund anyone completely? (The lack of a payment doesn't affect the JSS any more and no public feedback would show on your profile, but clients can still leave private feedback on such contracts.)

No, luckily I haven't had any complaints from clients nor refunds so far. I always ask if they are 100% satisfied upon work completion and offer the option to do more. They all confirm to be happy. The only exception being one who took umbrage when I politely declined to travel inter-region during the Italian pandemic & lockdown. This one gave me bonuses after that and is still pursuing me for a new contract though. 

In that case, I've run out of ideas. I know it's frustrating not knowing - my own JSS went down a percentage point and stayed that way for a weird amount of time, and I still don't know who the unhappy camper was. Some clients just don't believe in leaving perfect feedback no matter what you do. But as long as you're above 90%, there's really nothing to worry about.

Dear Christine, thank you. I was focusing on the "client who recommend you" stats in fact, not the overall JSS.

From this discussion my guess is that this stat includes all clients (with and without feedback), then the overall JSS takes into account only the actual feedbacks. 

"Feedback" is split into two categories, private and public. The private is the "would recommend" portion and the public is the stars + comment. I'm not sure if a client can leave private feedback and then decline to add public feedback.

If they didn't add private or public feedback, then that missing data should have no impact on any of your scores. 

My impression is that one of my contracts has been inactive for a while due to client's work planning delays and that has impacted my JSS. 

Another contract has been paused by the client due to the pandemic until about Sept/October and that one should not impact my JSS I hope, as it is paused.

I contacted the first client asking if he has any more work to do and he has confirmed he will be sending something to me in a couple of days. Let's hope that this will patch my JSS over the next couple of weeks 😉

g_vasilevski
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hi Deborah,

I would like to clarify that the client who recommends you section is calculated based on the number of clients that have indicated they would recommend you to others.
Regard your Job Success Score, I would like to confirm that everything is working as designed and the correct number is listed on your profile.

To learn more about why your JSS can change, check out this Help Article. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork

Dear Goran, thank you for verifying and providing an answer.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members