cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Are contests allowed here on Upwork?

scarletfever
Dave K Member Since: Jun 14, 2016
1 of 12

I asked this question to Upwork directly, but, not surprisingy, they have ignored me. So I am throwing this out to the general community.

I was awarded a logo design project, only to see the project closed after 2 days before I even had a chance to submit my proofs. When I asked the client what happened, they said someone else did the job. It became obvious that this client had hired multiple contractors to see which design would "win".

To me, this is unethical, because I wasted my time developing concepts and never would have if I had known this client's intentions.

So I ask… are contests allowed on Upwork? If so, that's just one more reason to leave this platform. We designers get enough disresespect as it is and this "contest" format is a slap in the face to any professional in any line of work.

prestonhunter
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
2 of 12

Contests are explicitly forbidden by Upwork ToS.

prestonhunter
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
3 of 12

From "Terms of Use":

"The following are examples of prohibited use of the Site:

...posting contests in which Freelancers submit work with no or very little pay, and only the winning submission is paid the full amount..."

petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
4 of 12

No, they are not allowed.

Were you officially hired and did you have a contract with the funds in Escrow (fixed rate) or hourly?

scarletfever
Dave K Member Since: Jun 14, 2016
5 of 12

Yes, I was officially hired and was given x amount of hours, which I agreed to. 

Really shady stuff… and disappointing that Upwork does little to intervene or show support when I reported the incident.

petra_r
Community Guru
6 of 12

@Dave K wrote:

Really shady stuff… and disappointing that Upwork does little to intervene or show support when I reported the incident.

Ah, it was an hourly contract? So you had not started yet and logged no time?

IF it was an horly contract: That is not a contest as such, that is a client hiring a number of freelancers and paying them all their hourly rate until they have what they were after. Freelancers who haven't done any work by that point aren't really owed anything.

It's sharp practice but not a contest and as sch not against the terms of service. Had you started working on the project you'd have been paid for the time you tracked.

kat303
Community Guru
Kathy T Member Since: Jul 17, 2015
7 of 12

@Dave K wrote:

Dave - if, as you say, you were given an amount of hours, I would assume that this was an hourly job. If so, then you should have used Time Tracker and documented the screen shots it took. If so, then you will be paid. Hours are submitted on Mondays, and the client has a number of days to review the screen shots that tracker took and dispute any that were not related to their work.

If you didn't use Time Tracker, it's doubtful that you will be paid.

IMO, assuming this was an hourly job, then this was not a contest. The client intended to pay you. In those hours you worked, that was all the client needed you. If you, followed Upwork's hourly protection procedures, you'll be paid for the hours you worked. if not, then you won't get paid.

melaniekhenson
Community Guru
Melanie H Member Since: Nov 2, 2017
8 of 12

I don't think you can call that an actual contest. I don't see how it would be considered a contest, with entry rules or anything like that.

ETA: Oh...I see...hmmm. That's really odd. Have you contacted CS?

petra_r
Community Guru
9 of 12

@Melanie H wrote:

I don't think you can call that an actual contest. I don't see how it would be considered a contest, with entry rules or anything like that.

It is exactly what is considerd a contest in outsourcing.

mtngigi
Community Guru
Virginia F Member Since: Feb 15, 2016
10 of 12

If they actually hired and paid those freelancers, then it would not be considered a contest, but rather paid tests. Were you officially hired, with a funded milestone or use of time tracking if it was hourly?

Okay ... never mind.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS