🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: Are customer support freelancers still al...
Page options
peric_petra
Community Member

Are customer support freelancers still allowed?

Hello,

I heard that it isn't allowed anymore to become a freelancer on upwork in field of Customer Support.

Is this true?

I'd like to know if my profile will be approved before investing time to finish it up.

I hope to hear from someone 🙂

6 REPLIES 6
petra_r
Community Member

Petra P wrote:

Hello,

I heard that it isn't allowed anymore to become a freelancer on upwork in field of Customer Support.

Is this true?

What utter nonsense, of course it is not true. But - every day 10.000 hopefuls try to join Upwork, and 98% are rejected. So it IS a very competitive platform.

Petra P wrote:

I'd like to know if my profile will be approved before investing time to finish it up.

How in the world could anyone tell you if you are likely to be accepted if you can't be bothered to complete your profile? What should a decision be based on? An empty profile?

If you are too lazy to even complete your profile, this platform is not right for you, because it takes a lot more than to just turn up and wait for clients to throw jobs at you.

If even completing your profile is too much effort, this isn't going to work out.

Although I appreciate your prompt reply, you are extremely rude!

I posed this question because I heard various people tell me that there is a new policy and Upwork doesn't allow new customer service reps on the website. This is the reason I asked, not my laziness.

I understand that profiles go under review, but why would I bother investing time into creating a profile if it doesn't even stand a chance of getting approved?

Hopefully you don't speak to your clients like this.

👎👎👎👎👎

Petra P wrote:

I understand that profiles go under review, but why would I bother investing time into creating a profile if it doesn't even stand a chance of getting approved?

We can't tell you if your profile stands a chance of being accepted unless you have completed it. I understand that may be a challenging concept to grasp, but without seeing your profile nobody can tell you whether it will stand a chance of getting accepted.

So you have to decide if you want to spend the time to create a knock-out profile to find out, or not.

Petra P wrote:

d this question because I heard various people tell me that there is a new policy and Upwork doesn't allow new customer service reps on the website

As I mentioned, that is nonsense. 

Petra P wrote:

Although I appreciate your prompt reply, you are extremely rude!

I posed this question because I heard various people tell me that there is a new policy and Upwork doesn't allow new customer service reps on the website. This is the reason I asked, not my laziness.

Hopefully you don't speak to your clients like this.

👎👎👎👎👎

Pro Tip #1: Clients regularly read and participate in this forum

Pro Tip #2: There are two realms of endeavor I can think of in which being thin-skinned is a significant hindrance: customer service work and freelancing in any field.

researchediting
Community Member

Not only is the rumor you heard false, quite recently the contrary was true.

Upwork ran a promotion to get current freelancers to recruit new freelancers in the field of customer support. That can only mean demand was outpacing supply. If ever there was a time to claim a place in that field, it is now (or the recent past),

Petra R's general point holds. At any given time, supply (of talent) exceeds demand in most fields, so few applicants are accepted.

Douglas Michael M wrote:

Not only is the rumor you heard false, quite recently the contrary was true.

Upwork ran a promotion to get current freelancers to recruit new freelancers in the field of customer support

Only US based ones though 😉

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths